Author Topic: What's in your rucksack?  (Read 10181 times)

Chris

• Administrator
What's in your rucksack?
« on: 02:58:05, 11/04/06 »
What do you keep at the bottom of your rucksack that you would you never be without?

mountaineer1974

Re: What's in your rucksack?
« Reply #1 on: 22:25:39, 21/04/06 »
I never leave home with out my sit mat  ;D also a small nip of scotch to add to the chocalate pud

Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 18:46:38, 25/04/06 »
My mate Martin would always have a bar of Old Jamaica chocolate for 'emergeny use'. But it always seemed to come out at the first snack stop.  :P

Dale

« Reply #3 on: 17:40:10, 21/05/06 »
I can vouch for the old jamacky - although it never travelled far before it was gone! Very nutritious - great for enery and it contains fruit so that could count as one of the fiver per day. What do you think?
Martin

Wendy

« Reply #4 on: 20:08:04, 11/06/06 »
Lippy! Well you never know!! and the excuse is it stops you getting dry lips!
;-)  HAPPY HIKING  ;-)

titaniumdude

« Reply #5 on: 03:57:46, 31/07/06 »
At the very bottom, outside of the bin bag liner, is my extremely orange survival bag.  Had the same one for 20 years, only used 3 times, still leak proof.  Never gets eaten by the first stop! ;)
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

Crag Rat

« Reply #6 on: 12:35:09, 31/07/06 »
I always have the following in my rucksack, never take them out:

Whistle
Tick Tweezers :-\
2 x Karabiner clips
Spare boot laces
Torch
Pen Knife

Can't say that I use any of them regularly except the karabiner clips and also the pen knife on occasion.
....because it's there....

Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 20:50:24, 31/07/06 »

Crag Rat

« Reply #8 on: 21:13:17, 31/07/06 »
Tick Tweezers :-\

;D ;D ;D :o

:)....I won them in a competition for Trail Magazine.  Thought they might be useful as I was preparing to go to Austria.....they never left the bag the whole time we were there and they have left it since!   ;D
....because it's there....

titaniumdude

« Reply #9 on: 03:07:53, 10/08/06 »

Just come back from Scotland.  Took a day uot of hill walking to stroll through Leanachan Forest.  Dog picked up about ten ticks.  Tick tweezers are indespensible if you have a dog (or if you roll around in forest ground).  We did go off the beaten track mind you and wander through the forest proper.  Trouble with normal tweezers is that you can get the tick out, but you end up squashing its body which means you have injected the contents of its guts under yours/hers/his/its skin.  Not good considering Lyme disease is still endemic in this country.  If you're wondering, the symptoms can resemble bells palsey and rheumatoid arthritis.  And the consequence is permanent.  Do't knock tick tweezers you never know when you'll need them ;D ;D
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 20:48:06, 14/08/06 »

Trouble with normal tweezers is that you can get the tick out, but you end up squashing its body which means you have injected the contents of its guts under yours/hers/his/its skin.

Yuk!! I've just had my dinner an' all.

Jules

« Reply #11 on: 18:53:32, 15/09/06 »
Whats in my rucksack?

Hair bands (only bunches will do when I go walking)
Fabulous blister plasters (just in case)
Lippy (ok ok, it's a girl thing)
Fruit Cake (never lasts long, but good for getting me up those hills)

Hmm, what does this say about me I wonder....
Jules
:-)

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:41:39, 17/09/06 »
Re ticks:
I "acquired" one in my inner thigh during a backpacking trip in the Tarrens (N. Wales) in Sept 2004. Thought it was a scratch till I put my specs on. Never seen one before but I knew straight away what it was. So, when I was back in civilisation I strolled into a pharmacy expecting to buy some lotion I could dab on that would kill the tick without killing me. The staff fell about laughing - they thought only dogs got ticks. I was directed to a nearby doctors surgery, who in turn told me to go to Llandudno A&E, where the little blighter was removed surgically, along with a 2nd one that was discovered on my arm. Left in less than an hour, with the advice that I get my wife to give me an intimate examination when I got home. "Yerk! I'm not doing that, " she quealed when I asked her!

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 12:58:30, 25/09/06 »
Will a brush is essential after a long walk in the wind and you reach that all. Important pub and your hair is all windswept. Well for the ladies that is. never bothered with lippy
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

titaniumdude

« Reply #14 on: 01:19:21, 12/12/06 »
I periodicall check the contents of my girlfriends backpack after once discovering the total surreality of her rationale whilst questioning why her pack was so stuffed full on a day trip in Wasdale.  It turned out that she was willing to carry three....yes three... full changes of clothes amongst other random krap.  I tried to explain that this takes extra energy and is not a clever idea as she is rarely ever to need three changes of clothing...., but to no avail it now seems.  I do reinforce that it is important to take only what is needed, especially in winter conditions, but on inspecting the contents of said girlfriends pack the night before a long walk in the Peak District....this is winter after all....conditions were bad....driving rain....70mph gusts on the tops...even a bit of sleet.......WAIT for it......

2  full changes of clothes
A tin of mushy peas
a tin of flageolet beans
three.........yes three tins of vegetable soup, one that was severely dented and OUT OF DATE

She's slapping me as I write this, but has no real recourse since it's true.   She hates mushy peas and flageolet beans so I don't even know how they got there. 

If it was my backpack she was finding them in I would've accused her of planting them ;D.

Needless to say her pack is lighter now and I have resolved to by her a smaller one for krimbly!

Having said that since we clean up after our dog on many trips and carry the 'Reward' out with us I think I may check her pack more often! ;)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy