Author Topic: Any other crazies out there?  (Read 2087 times)

Slogger

• Veteran Member
Re: Any other crazies out there?
« Reply #15 on: 14:02:21, 01/09/19 »
Well done, you will make a marathon runner yet! O0

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 21:15:00, 01/09/19 »
Up until  my first attempt at the now discontinued South Wales Marathon Walk, a magnificent Challenge event from one side of the Brecon Beacons National park, to the other, on recollection, the furthest i had ever walked in a single day, was 22miles.

I walked along the roads when on holiday in the Yorkshire Dales, when i was 17yrs old, and kept walking and walking all day, back to the campsite i was staying at with friends.

They calculated i had walked in excess of 20miles, and i t certainly felt like it.

Years later, after continually trumping up and down the escarpments of the main Beacons, in all weather, i bought a copy of Chris Barbers book on  Exploring the Brecon Beacons, in Chrickhowell Adventure Gear in Brecon.

That was in about 1981 or there abouts, just after the book was released.

In the back was a great adventure, of a Challenge walk, that i think was originally started by his father back in 1947.

At the time, it was still one of the oldest continually run Challenge Walk in the country, so had been going continually since that date.

I sent my money off to his home in llanfoist outside Abergavenny, and turned up to the Red lion inn in Llandeusant outside Llandovery, in early June.

Roughly 52 to 53 miles to the outside of Capel Y Fin Youth Hostel, having traversed over the seven highest peaks in the National park, i arrived, totally spent, not being able to feel my legs due to fatigue.

I had walked all day, starting at 4am in the morning, and around 16hrs later, completed my first of seven South Wales Marathon Walks.

I had walked almost three times further than i had ever walked before, and was dead chuffed with my effort.

It just goes to show, our bodies are willing to push through a lot of discomfort if we explore our inner selves.

Happy memories of both the 1980's and South Wales.  My longest ever walk was on a leadership exercise, with the RN, in the black mountains.  That was 88 miles in 36 hours.  Our four man team got our names on a trophy,  that had not seen use in seven years. The all points trophy, as I recall. By far the hardest walk I ever did.

Those sort of things set up your mindset for life.  Some thing worth noting for the younger folk out there.
« Last Edit: 21:20:37, 01/09/19 by BuzyG »

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 21:29:49, 01/09/19 »
That is a pretty good time for a first attempt. O0 Try a fifty miler next and then train for a hundred. ;)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 22:27:23, 02/09/19 »
That is a pretty good time for a first attempt. O0 Try a fifty miler next and then train for a hundred. ;)
Lol, I'm only crazy, not insane.  ;D

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 00:07:48, 03/09/19 »
Well done, BuzyG.

Not done anything crazy for a while, but I recall 4 particularly tough outings:

37 miles along canal towpaths whilst I was a student in Birmingham.

A solo 26 mile trip traversing above the western flank of the Valsavarenche valley on the last day of a 2 week trip to the Italian Alps. Magnificent walking just below the snowline about 8000' up, but lots of ups and downs. And I made the mistake of wearing shorts, so the back of my calves got frazzled in the Alpine sun.

The Welsh 3's. Similar distance, more ascent, less sun! A brilliant walk, but not one that I will repeat.

Finally, a non-walking one - the Bealach na Ba cyclosportif - 90 miles of up and down; nearly killed me, but I did finish. 550 starters - I was 7th from last - but 70 didn't make it to the end. Made it onto the telly too - they obviously needed a victim at the end of their tether to film!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 00:28:44, 03/09/19 »
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Running as a form of transport leaves a lot to be desired and as a means of entertainment it is a non starter.  Sometimes I meet people running across the hills and think if they are in such a hurry, they should have set off sooner.  ;)
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 07:53:53, 03/09/19 »
On the subject of running today's early morning walk after jogging up the second hardest uphill section turned into a walk, run, walk, run for most of the way and I'm going to join my local parkrun. I'm not sure I agree with you on this one ninthace, now the impact is less I'm starting to develop a taste for running though I'm not sure footed enough for trail running.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 09:16:09, 03/09/19 »
Parkruns are great, Rob - a good place to meet people too, especially if you take an occasional turn as a volunteer marshall.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 09:17:33, 03/09/19 »
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Running as a form of transport leaves a lot to be desired and as a means of entertainment it is a non starter.  Sometimes I meet people running across the hills and think if they are in such a hurry, they should have set off sooner.  ;)

I used to think that way, but running, although hard to get in to, is very rewarding once you get to the stage where you don't actually feel as if you are dying!

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 19:56:52, 03/09/19 »
I used to think that way, but running, although hard to get in to, is very rewarding once you get to the stage where you don't actually feel as if you are dying!

So when can I look forward to that.  ;D    

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 21:16:34, 03/09/19 »

So when can I look forward to that.  ;D 
As soon as you get fit. ;D In all honesty running at a slow/steady pace is easy.Its racing that is hard because you are always going at your maxium pace and instead of it getting easier it just gets faster and more painful.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 00:12:04, 04/09/19 »
As soon as you get fit. ;D In all honesty running at a slow/steady pace is easy.Its racing that is hard because you are always going at your maxium pace and instead of it getting easier it just gets faster and more painful.

Yup, been there done that, even got the T shirt.   Being able to run does not get you up the hills any quicker though and it is the hills and mountains that I love.  The rest is just a means to an end.  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy