Author Topic: The Spine Race2018 - List of competitors  (Read 51905 times)

harland

• Veteran Member
Re: The Spine Race2018 - List of competitors
« Reply #225 on: 15:19:57, 16/01/18 »
Spine Facebook "Jim Mann has retired from the Montane Spine Race 2018 with an injury. Nothing serious, still smiling and chatting with the team but unable to continue. More to follow."  What a shame it was looking a good race, well Pav how are you feeling?

Addingham

« Reply #226 on: 15:46:12, 16/01/18 »
Well done Jim Mann. O0 O0  A pity an injury sustain on day 1 worsened after another trip heading to Alston. :(

He still looked absolutely fresh and smiling when interviewed.  ::) Back next year to rip the course record apart hopefully.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #227 on: 15:48:15, 16/01/18 »
Yes great shame.  Let's hope Pav can put Eoin under pressure so we have a bit of of a race  O0 
Where there's a will ...

Addingham

« Reply #228 on: 15:55:19, 16/01/18 »
Yes great shame.  Let's hope Pav can put Eoin under pressure so we have a bit of of a race  O0

It will be interesting :)  Eion seems absolutely knackered but now his main rival has retired could pace him self as he isn't chasing. Has to be aware of Pav and maybe Hollins.

forest view

« Reply #229 on: 16:39:14, 16/01/18 »
Wakey Wakey Eoin you`ve got company
www.forestviewbyrness.co.uk 
# 1 place to stay in Byrness (Tripadvisor)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #230 on: 16:41:24, 16/01/18 »
Tom Hollins is still in with a shout I reckon, he was strong at the end last year  O0
Where there's a will ...

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #231 on: 16:53:25, 16/01/18 »
Wakey Wakey Eoin you`ve got company
What delights have you got for them to eat this year, I can't believe that Pav was eating curry at one of the previous stops - whilst I love curry I don't eat it when I am walking in case....!

forest view

« Reply #232 on: 17:01:28, 16/01/18 »
Bacon and lentil soup (almost as bad as curry) and mince and mash. + veggie versions of both. 

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #233 on: 17:06:13, 16/01/18 »
Bacon and lentil soup (almost as bad as curry) and mince and mash. + veggie versions of both.
At least, for them, they haven't got far to go afterwards given a fair wind!
« Last Edit: 17:18:35, 16/01/18 by harland »

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #234 on: 17:10:52, 16/01/18 »
Far enough for the likes of us harland!

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #235 on: 17:12:04, 16/01/18 »
Yes, game over, I got it wrong again. Mind you just shows that regular 5 mile local walking sprints as your main training is not really adequate for events like this!
Only two pints of Guinness the night before and a decent sleep in Edale YHA, once the student group had quietened down.
My main focus for the first stage was not to arrive at CP1 as late as last year, however I overdid it some.
With the best ground conditions including dry slabs, that the race has ever had the going was good, apart from a messy diversion before Bleaklow summit.
Just outside of my best at Crowden, I struggled up Laddow rocks (insufficient hill work this year) then the usual cramps started, inner quad muscles, very difficult to stretch out. Freqent spasms and walking slow on semi rigid leg muscles, being overtaken all the time. This bad patch lasted for around 10 miles, by which time a group had formed.
Quite suddenly with around 20 miles to go to CP1, my legs fired into life and I took off dragging the group behind me. They were suffering but they didn't have to follow. At Stoodley Pike Rob, Al and myself stopped to don waterproof leggings as the bad wet windy conditions were setting in.
Two others went ahed as they already were wearing theirs. We never saw them again.
We all struggled on the ascents from Charlsworth and we had to leave Al who was slowing. I arrived CP1 after around 16.5 hours a good 3.5 hours faster than last time.
I tried to get some slepp but couldn't with all activity going on, so got ready and left around 5.15ma.
Legs stiff straight away, but eased some after a few miles apart from ascents and descents. The wind and rain was unrelenting, my expensive Columbia Goretex gloves filled with water. All paths became streams, fields waterlogged, and numerous couses had to be waded so shoes were full of water too, apart from that I was well protected from the weather.
Eventually I met up with Alan Cormac and Michelle Payne and we walked a good few miles together before they pressed ahead.
The pain in my legs was becoming a problem. I could quite a pace going on the flat but anything else I was struggling.
With trying to raise funds for Prostrate Cancer Uk I was pushing myself harder than ever, but the last two descents were so slow and painful I feared being stuck in the middle of nowhere unable to move.
On reaching the Hare & Hounds in Lothersdale I reluctantly decided to retire.
The team were very busy collecting other retirees so I got a taxi to Hawes CP2.
There I discovered that all those in that group during the first stage had also retired. One of them suffered a seizure upon entering that CP and was ruled out by medics.
My pal Chris, came to collect me later and take me home.
Watching the trackers and the moving time etc of Alan and Michelle, I doubt I would have made the cut off at Malham Tarn and there was no way I would have reached there anyway.
To all those who kindly donated to my Just Giving page, thank so very much. I hope I haven't let you down, I really did give it my all.
Dave.

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #236 on: 17:12:33, 16/01/18 »
Whats the weather like at forest view at the mo ?

Yorkshiremarv

« Reply #237 on: 17:13:32, 16/01/18 »
Went for a few hours watch up to the A66 crossing, snow on the ground about 2". One min its sunny then the next cloudy and then snow/sleet showers, nothing untoward. The few that i saw were all in good spirits, enjoyed their little cream egg handouts and most said the snow helped with seeing the path better and footprints and also seeing the wetter muddy bits to avoid better. When i came to leave about 3.20 it was a complete whiteout, heavy blizzard type which wouldnt help much.
"if in doubt, flat out"

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #238 on: 17:16:33, 16/01/18 »
Nice one dave. Well done indeed

forest view

« Reply #239 on: 17:19:03, 16/01/18 »
 There is about 4 inches of snow in Byrness so another thousand or 2 feet higher it will be a lot deeper on the ridge. no thanks I think I`ll stay in my nice warm kitchen.Well done Slogger we are in awe of your effort.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy