Author Topic: Don't we ever learn?  (Read 7196 times)

rambling minster

Re: Don't we ever learn?
« Reply #30 on: 12:50:17, 23/03/18 »

I've lost hats as well.

There's always a multitude of hats strewn around the hill

My sigg bottle has dropped out my bag on occasion, but one of those instances was when doing the northern stage of the Pennine Way. I was staying in Forest View in Byrness for two nights to break up the 26 mile stretch from Byrness to Kirk Yetholm. I told one of the guys staying there that i'd dropped my sigg ( i had walked to Windy Gyle so was on my second night's stay there, whereas he was on his first night in Forest View) and he said that he'd look out for it. Sure enough, a few days later a parcel arrived with it in! It was greatly appreciated (he wouldn't accept my offer to reimburse his postage) and shows the kindness that can exist among walkers.

I have left walking poles a few times (mainly in towns rather than on the hill) but usually someone has shouted to alert me.

My walking companion once forgot to pack underpants on a multi-day trail (we were only in a small village), but luckily a bric-a-brac type store had a few stored upstairs ;D
« Last Edit: 12:55:26, 23/03/18 by rambling minster »

Troggy

« Reply #31 on: 17:50:25, 23/03/18 »
Funny that. Of all the places me and my caps have parted, it hasn't been on the walks. I've left them on buses, trains, charas, a couple of hotels and a number of pubs! I did leave one when I stopped for a bit of dinner on brilliant plateau in Eskdale, which was a wonderful place for ancient monuments, so I didn't mind going back for that one; and funnily enough, going back to several of the pubs for the said titfer.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 09:24:16, 24/03/18 »
If anyone finds a fascinator on the North York Moors - it's mine :-[

At a wedding last saturday in a marquee, during the blizzard I had to go out across the yard to the portaloos - bye bye fascinator.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Troggy

« Reply #33 on: 13:44:46, 24/03/18 »
Excuse my ignorance Jac; but what's a fascinator? Not that it's likely to have blown this far west to merseyside; but at least I'll know what one is, if I ever come across one.

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 14:27:22, 24/03/18 »
Its one of those things that fascinate folk!

Troggy

« Reply #35 on: 15:02:54, 24/03/18 »
Haha, thats a fascinating bit of info!

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 15:09:54, 24/03/18 »
I flatpacked my tent! Wasdale Head campsite - arrived earlier than my two compannions, so pitched my tent, a cross pole semi geodesic and piled everything inside, sleeping bag, cooking gear, rollmat, clothing, boots, two rucksacks etc. has a can of lager whilst doing so. Still no mates so off to pub where I was relying on a decent meal. Pub packed out and over an hours waiting for food, so had two pints beer and a packet of crisps.
Back to tent, mates there pitching their tents, they gave me another can of lager - happy days.
All back to pub and left there several hours and 7 more pints later.
Into campsite, bent down to undo tent zip and rolled over into tent. Had difficulty getting up as only had tent fabric to push on, which was no use so struggled but everntually made it. By this time my two pals convinced that I was very drunk came flapping, pulling me up and generaly treating me like I was paraletic, especially after I tried again with the zip and same thing, over again I went, only this time broke two poles and my tent flattened on the grass.
One mate especially annoyed me some at this stage with his flapping about, over anxious, advice - I was completley unfazed and eventually persuaded him to go see to his to his own tent, I mean the man was more drink affected than me!
I calmly unpitched, gathered my tent up like a big sack with everything inside and trapsed off to my car in which I slept.
Following morning I found my tent outer on the ground - as I had gathered it all up I firgot that this tent unlike mt others, the outer was not attached.
Of course much banter, and no matter how I tried I just couldn't get them to believe that the reason I had destroyed my tent was down to my dodgy knee giving way, not the drink - honest!
Back home tent repairs and two new pole sectioned, cost - £50..

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 16:33:15, 24/03/18 »
Troggy  -  A fascinator is a very expensive head ornament which some women, well most actually, and I suppose some men wear at weddings and the like. It consists of a wire stretched across the crown of the head to which is attached two or at the most three feather type fabric items. These items generally 'match' the colour of the women's/men's outfit.
When I say expensive, I mean really very expensive!   Upwards of eighty quid for the wire and the two feathers......three feathers would cost an awful lot more.  It is usually only worn for about forty five minutes, or the length of the actual wedding ceremony when it is then discarded to spend its life in a box on top of the wardrope.
Another wedding invitation means another purchase of another fascinator!

Troggy

« Reply #38 on: 16:57:08, 24/03/18 »
Ahh! Thanks Sparnel, for explaining what on earth it was. Could women wanting 3 feathers in their hair but I can;t envisage fellers wandering round with feathers in their hair. Mind you, native Americans did, so why not.
I also found it gob smacking that a bit of wire with a few feathers in it, would cost such an alarming amount!
Thanks again mate, for putting me inquisitiveness to sleep.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 18:55:21, 24/03/18 »

A fascinator is one more way of making me feel incompetent, a bit like very high heels, when required to get dressed up for something.
I tried one on once, together with dress and said heels, took a look at myself in the mirror and another at daughter's face beside me,  decided that my days of being fascinating were over and fled.
The thought of trying to control one in a blizzard!  The feathers are probably spread round 3 national parks!

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 10:45:31, 25/03/18 »
Troggy  -  A fascinator is a very expensive head ornament which some women, well most actually, and I suppose some men wear at weddings and the like.When I say expensive, I mean really very expensive!   Upwards of eighty quid

They're not all expensive; there are cheap ones, luckily, as I'd borrowed this one :-[

A fascinator is one more way of making me feel incompetent, a bit like very high heels, when required to get dressed up for something.
I tried one on once, together with dress and said heels, took a look at myself in the mirror and another at daughter's face beside me,  decided that my days of being fascinating were over and fled.
The thought of trying to control one in a blizzard!  The feathers are probably spread round 3 national parks!
;D ;D :D ;D  Oh god - the high heels; the loos were across a gravel yard - first and hopefully the only time I've asked my partner to support me to the toilet!
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 19:34:29, 25/03/18 »
After parking in Grange one day and doing a circular walk, we drove back to Penrith. Had a cuppa, started making tea then I tried to find my purse. I remembered it was in my rucksack. And where was my rucksack - argh in the car park at Grange!

In the car snappy and zoomed back down Borrowdale - there it was, exactly here I'd left it - rucksack, contents inc waterproof, water bladder and purse. Thank goodness walking folk are honest folk or that would have been an expensive day's walking.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 12:10:58, 26/03/18 »
My boob-went walkies yesterday, dry forecast, just put my old anorak on over shirt n fleece. Managed to get bird muck on my jacket sleeve from sitting leaning against a tree/wall, would have been simply to dry scrub off when I got in but took about 20 mins to find the brush!
Stupid boy!  :(
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 13:30:22, 26/03/18 »
A fascinator is a very expensive head ornament   

usually only worn for about forty five minutes, or the length of the actual wedding ceremony when it is then discarded to spend its life in a box on top of the wardrope.

Which is why some will try to escape into the North Yorkshire Moors........FREEDOM!!!   :D
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

RogerA

« Reply #44 on: 13:30:40, 26/03/18 »
My boob-went walkies yesterday...

mistype or something I've never heard of before? Not sure I feel confident enough to google the phrase at work ... ???

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy