Author Topic: Wanted - Small holding nr Chester  (Read 1352 times)

bilworth

Wanted - Small holding nr Chester
« on: 11:41:51, 13/09/18 »

Hi Folks,

I'm looking to buy a small holding near and around Chester and wonder if there are any sellers on here?
The kind of land I'm looking for would be about 20 acres, have trees & water nearby. It should be be generating an income (whether it be from, camping, renting the land etc.)  

Willing to consider all opportunities. If you know of anyone or are selling yourselves, please let me know.

Many thanks.

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Wanted - Small holding nr Chester
« Reply #1 on: 12:47:35, 13/09/18 »
I don't want to tear into you like I usually do with spammers because you're not exactly spamming but I do have to ask....

... why post this on a walking forum?

I'm assuming you've looked at agricultural / land auction sites where stuff like you're after would normally be advertised  :-\

Good luck with your quest anyway  O0

bilworth

« Reply #2 on: 15:17:58, 13/09/18 »
Hi Mel

Not spamming, I just found that in life if you ask around you can find out all sorts of things and us hikers get about a bit so... :)  I do look at the auction sites too BTW.

Even if no one on hear can help me, I've found a good little forum to stick around  ;)

Cheers

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:12:57, 13/09/18 »
Get yourself onto "Escape to the Country" - they always seem to find smallholdings for folks  O0

bilworth

« Reply #4 on: 19:02:16, 14/09/18 »
Worth a go I suppose  ;D

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:27:38, 14/09/18 »
I think if you are looking at a particular area near Chester you may need to do some local research. Go on a pub crawl around some country pubs and find out how many farms are tenant or owner/occupied. Or will a friendly estate/land agent give you this information. Hereditary land owner companies are now fairly well disguised and I think that the Duke of Westminster owns much of the land in north Cheshire.

The likelyhood of those sort of estates to divide up holdings into smaller units was unlikely, unless the geography was difficult for the 200 acre to 500 acre holding that suited the agricultural revolution's division of land for maximum rental reward. You only have to walk in an area and observe the architecture of the farm buildings to get an idea of the farm divisions.

Moving out to the old county of Flint and the Welsh border land, the OS maps will show that the holdings were smaller. Nowadays the building of the 200-500 acre farms building are been are being sold off to help larger units to form, sometimes these will have a few acres attached to encourage the 'my pony brigade' to emulate a county lifestyle.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

bilworth

« Reply #6 on: 21:17:41, 18/09/18 »
I think if you are looking at a particular area near Chester you may need to do some local research. Go on a pub crawl around some country pubs and find out how many farms are tenant or owner/occupied. Or will a friendly estate/land agent give you this information. Hereditary land owner companies are now fairly well disguised and I think that the Duke of Westminster owns much of the land in north Cheshire.

The likelyhood of those sort of estates to divide up holdings into smaller units was unlikely, unless the geography was difficult for the 200 acre to 500 acre holding that suited the agricultural revolution's division of land for maximum rental reward. You only have to walk in an area and observe the architecture of the farm buildings to get an idea of the farm divisions.

Moving out to the old county of Flint and the Welsh border land, the OS maps will show that the holdings were smaller. Nowadays the building of the 200-500 acre farms building are been are being sold off to help larger units to form, sometimes these will have a few acres attached to encourage the 'my pony brigade' to emulate a county lifestyle.

That's some good advice, thank you.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy