Author Topic: Best 1 person bomb proof tent vote  (Read 18337 times)

Maggot

Re: Best 1 person bomb proof tent vote
« Reply #15 on: 23:54:08, 25/03/18 »
It's all in the technique Troggy!  If there are midges, don't create the microclimate, and just pull the bivvy nice and tight around your head and got to sleep!

I love my ex-Army bivvy bag, it's massively spacious and hasn't leaked once in all the years I have been using it.  It stays in my bag, sidepocket and is great for emergencies and planned nights.  The tarp as a basha is also a fantasticly versatile piece of kit.

Troggy

« Reply #16 on: 15:38:57, 26/03/18 »
Maggot. No thank you mate! Mind you, if I cut down massively, on all the junk I take, it might be ok. I am semi attracted to the prospect because the DD tarp, when I put it up with a covered head end, worked out quite well. It was nice and wide, quite tall at the front and I only needed one walking pole for the front end and a short pole for the head end.

The bivvy I had was quite a good make but only came up to the shoulders. I've looked at the ex army ones and they look as roomy as you say, with a big hood as well. Mayhap I'll have a look on ebay for an ex army bivvy and try it out properly one week end. Or perhaps one of those dutch ones.

I think I'll always prefer a tent but I should give it a proper go just to see if it would change my mind. By the way, how do you ensure there's no micro climate?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 15:49:41, 26/03/18 »
Given a choice I'm sure that I too woulkd prefer a tent but I want to do more wild camping and am looking for the minum of fuss to get my head down and be more camping stealthy at the same time. Plus I'm hoping it will fit in better with my style of hiking, I don't want to stay anywhere in particular, I just like to get up early and go!

I'm totally independent as well, have my own shower and so on, so do not really need the benifits of a site, more importantly for me to find places to have a meal and a few drinks. Paying about £10 for a piece of 6' x 4' grass seems a bit wasteful to me.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 17:10:14, 26/03/18 »
Has anyone had any actual  experience of the DD super-light Pyramid tent. It seems to be what I am looking for in a tent. Half the weight of my current coffin, twice the area. Single skin with option to buy an inner. Under £100.00  use walking pole.
The cheeks of my posterior are usually tightly clenched when it comes to spending any money, but may relax enough to cough up the dosh if anyone could actually recommend it from true experience. Most of the YouTube videos revolve around first actual use rather than a long term review. ( unless someone on here knows better??????)
Too little, too late, too bad......

Troggy

« Reply #19 on: 19:15:55, 26/03/18 »
GW, I suppose I'm off the actual topic Re a best 1 person bomb proof tent, so on that subject, I cant' say what's best because I haven't tried that many. I would, however, have faith in the tiger paws to be a pretty hardy 1 man tent for anything outside winter conditions. So easy to put up, but a possible weakness because of the inner going up first.

Most times though, I think it would a good shelter. It's a good dark green, 4 guys, 2 pre angled poles, so decent inner head height (100cm down to about 30cms at the foot end) 290 cms long and 110cm wide. If you were camped bum into the wind, I think it would be excellent in allowing the wind to flow over it. The same I'd say, applies to the foot end. As sod's law says the wind is bound to change during the night but the sides(likely to be the least resistant, would fare pretty well because of the slope, the pegging points and the guy. As soon as my big toes recover from partial toe nail removal, then I'm going to get out and give it a few trials in a good site which is open to the breezes up on the hill near Frodsham, Cheshire.

As for going wild camping I think your idea of your own shower would be great (did you buy it, or make one? I also like the idea of mixing a bit of wood fire cooking just to try it out. Your idea of finding a pub for vittles is also a winner in my books. I think it would be very appealing to hear nothing but the sounds of nature on waking up, as I suppose we have all experiencedcamp sites where you are jam packed into a field and some sods have no respect for others on the site, with music blaring away and potherbs shouting their heads off.

It doesn't have to be either or, of course as there are some good quiet sites. Hmm. Plenty of time for thought over the next few weeks of incarceration but I think the major weakness for me would be the facilities regading ablutions.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 22:15:43, 26/03/18 »
I bought my shower head from Lifeventure, £10, I then bought a flexible bottle, can't remember from where. Its fairly easy to be rescourceful, I often will just pick up a discarded plastic water bottle that people tend to through away, the 1.5L or 2L ones are best. They can often be found in all sorts of places, hedgerows and the like, or in car park areas. I hate litter but as we know such items are often all over the place. I just find the water, loads of it in the Lakes, fill up my bottle, plug in my shower head, wrap a bit of cord around it, hang it up and stand under it and shower. I have to confess I only tend to use it when the weather is hot. The initial water is cold but I just grit my teeth and go for it. If I find and use an ordinary plastic bottle I will just hang it on my rucksack and dispose of it when I find a proper bin. I've often thought of taking a gas cooker and container to warm up some water but have never got around to it. I'm one of those people who hates using public showers, neurotic I know, but will do so when its really necessary.

I rember my last wild shower in the Lakes, just a few hundred yards from Black Sail Hut, no one around, very hot day and I was so sweaty. I felt human again afterwards and then went to the hut to get a cup of tea. Very nice!

Troggy

« Reply #21 on: 23:04:24, 26/03/18 »
That's a good solution for having a shower away from campsites, but I don't think I'd fancy it cold though. As you say, for Summer warm days it suits you but I think I'd have to warm mine up first. A great idea of yours to re use and then recycle plastic bottles which, unfortunately are all to common in the country...and even worse in the towns!

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 11:57:19, 27/03/18 »
The trouble with asking what the best tent is, is everyone has different ideals and camps in different terrain. A bivi bag and tarp might be fine in the south but next to useless in the Highlands. A tent that will stand up to winter on Cairngorm will be very heavy for the SWCP.

For 25 years I've been using a Macpac Microlite made in New Zealand, it's 2kg not that light by modern standards but has stood up to all sorts of bad weather. Macpac are now a different company they're are made in South-east Asia and are a shadow of their former selves. I decided to look for something new for a trip to Sarek in Arctic Lapland. I took a Tarptent Notch, this uses your trekking poles for support so the tent is only 800g. It managed OK most of the time but a night of heavy wet snow and another night of very heavy rain proved too much for it. I went back the next year and this time I used the Macpac, trouble with this is it's getting very old now and I did have some rain coming through a couple of times. I've now gone for a Trekkertent Phreeranger, it's a similar shape to the Macpac but uses lighter silicon/nylon, 1.2kg in total. I haven't had the chance to use it yet, I was planning to use it skiing the Kungladen but three months off sick have scuppered that plan. Up here in Scotland the ski season is beginning to come to an end and the snow is starting to melt so I should finally be able to try it out soon.
« Last Edit: 16:25:11, 27/03/18 by Owen »

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 13:23:46, 27/03/18 »

I bought my shower head from Lifeventure, £10, I then bought a flexible bottle, can't remember from where. Its fairly easy to be rescourceful, I often will just pick up a discarded plastic water bottle that people tend to through away, the 1.5L or 2L ones are best.

I found these 'shower-heads' on ebay (3 for £0.99 inc delivery)
Standard thread and screw onto anything from 500ml bottles to 2 litre bottles.
Allows you to control flow simply by squeezing the bottle - AND - it doesn't all pour out at once.
If you fill up the bottle with cold water and wrap a black bin-bag (or similar) around it leave it in the Sun for a few hours it does get remarkably hot.

Edit to add : Still available here : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5Pcs-Bottle-Top-Watering-Garden-Plant-Watering-Seedling-Plant-Seed-Irrigation/302581424139?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49920%26meid%3Dca807f67216e4f1499f9106028705cd5%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D201967656580%26itm%3D302581424139&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

The 'shower heads' are sold as plant watering devices.

« Last Edit: 13:31:35, 27/03/18 by alan de enfield »

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 15:55:34, 27/03/18 »
Ive got three tents.
1.  2 man, semi geodesic, Salewa Micra 2.3kg, very roomy and stable but a little heavy for solo stuff.
2. Solo, Mountain Technology Styleto, 1.3 kg, three hoop poles, extremely stable, porch big enough for cooking and sack as no room inside for it.
3. Solo, Terra Nove Photon Elite, 900 grm with bigger titaniun pegs than the wires supplied, no porch room for anything so sack is used as pillow inside, quite stable

Maggot

« Reply #25 on: 21:31:42, 27/03/18 »
The trouble with asking what the best tent is, is everyone has different ideals and camps in different terrain. A bivi bag and tarp might be fine in the south but next to useless in the Highlands. 

Oh I don't know, it worked in the winter on the Falklands, although I'm not mad, I obviously put on a long sleeve t-shirt to sleep in ;D

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 21:32:12, 27/03/18 »
For those camping on a tight budget i just watched this review by Wiltshireman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm8rsjCf7I0 of the Miltec Recon One tent which cost him £49  ::)  He tried it out on high ground near The Ridgeway when storm Frank was forecast. It stood up well and the only downside may be the weight 2.7kg but if you want bomb-proof on a budget there has to be a disadvantage to bear.

Regards Keith

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 21:56:55, 27/03/18 »
Oh I don't know, it worked in the winter on the Falklands, although I'm not mad, I obviously put on a long sleeve t-shirt to sleep in ;D

You had a bivi bag! We had to buy our own. They finally caught up with us the day we flew home. All the time we were down there we had to use the old basha.

FOX160

« Reply #28 on: 20:56:25, 10/05/18 »
Given our recent weather what do the NICE and FRIENDLY folks in the forum think is  the most weather proof, last tent standing when all others are wiped out in a Scottish hoolie....one person bunker tent ??  O0 ...

For me there can be only one

Hilleberg Soulo...

2nd scarptent 1 with crossover poles

Vote now !

The Strat1 is Tarptents strongest tent then followed by the Scarp.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 14:05:19, 11/05/18 »
My Zephyros 1 is a robust tent, I'm happy to use it in the winter but not in the summer. My 'summer' tent, a Marmot Pulsar is a good tent, spacious and I can sit upright in it but I wouldn't put it in the catagory of robust. I am always careful with it. I found out by experience that it doesn't allow a body to fall (kids larking about on the site) on it without damage, two of my poles just snapped in two! I couldn't get replacement but have made a bodge repair.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy