Author Topic: Map problem on viewranger  (Read 3764 times)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Map problem on viewranger
« Reply #15 on: 20:00:07, 14/10/18 »
No software is free, the user somewhere down the line has to pay to use it, when their licence key has expired.

Please stick to topics you know about, it would make a nice change.  VR software is FREE.  It doesn't come with a licence key.  It works with FREE mapping.  It is limited to a certain number of devices, but it's still FREE and you can't pay for access to it on other devices.  You pay for the mapping, but that's because they have to pay for it from OS.  No doubt if you do part of that payment goes to help fund VR ... but that's a completely different issue.
Where there's a will ...

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 21:07:14, 14/10/18 »
Well Dyffryn if you stuck to the user spec for the software you wrote the same way you research and respond to topics on this forum I take it that your software proved to be be unsuitable.

If I am wrong then it proves you can stick to topic, so why not try it for us as well.
The three replies above this show why you are just wrong about free to the user software.
Too little, too late, too bad......

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 08:55:40, 15/10/18 »
If anyone here is under the apprehension that the Viewranger software is free, then they know little or nothing about software development.

;D

The Viewranger app is free to use, it is the OS maps you pay for

I would have a look at the Viewranger website first before you post anything else or you will come across as being a bit daft  ;)
http://www.viewranger.com/en-gb/get-the-app

No software is free, the user somewhere down the line has to pay to use it, when their licence key has expired.

My license key has not expired and I am now using the app and map on the tablet again. Strange that I didn't have to pay anything. The maps are already paid for DA.

Thanks for everyone else's help, I still haven't had time to ask VR what might have happened. My original post was misleading because I thought I just couldn't open the Lake District map. The map had been already open from the last time I used VR. It was the device I had to verify for some reason with my license key for it. I will message Viewranger either at lunchtime or tonight to see what the problems might have been.

@ ninthace - I can only seem to access the manage devices thing on my pc and not on my tablet, even if it is online.
Hate will never win

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 09:09:01, 15/10/18 »
April,

Have you tried going to the web browser on your tablet and logging into the ViewRanger website  http://my.viewranger.com/index/ and managing your account from there rather than using the ViewRanger App directly?
Solvitur Ambulando

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 12:17:34, 15/10/18 »
Have you tried going to the web browser on your tablet and logging into the ViewRanger website  http://my.viewranger.com/index/ and managing your account from there rather than using the ViewRanger App directly?

No I hadn't tried this  :) Yes this would be the same as on doing it my pc but if I was out somewhere with no internet signal I still wouldn't be able to get the license key for my tablet.
Hate will never win

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 13:02:47, 15/10/18 »
No I hadn't tried this  :) Yes this would be the same as on doing it my pc but if I was out somewhere with no internet signal I still wouldn't be able to get the license key for my tablet.
Do it while you have a signal, copy and paste it into your note pad?  Assuming it actually generates a number rather than just activating the map.
Solvitur Ambulando

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 19:18:57, 15/10/18 »
Do it while you have a signal, copy and paste it into your note pad?  Assuming it actually generates a number rather than just activating the map.

Good idea ninthace, thanks  O0 When you click on Get License Key in Your account it brings up 22 rows of numbers. I hope if I ever have to input the license key it isn't all of it and each row is one license key!

I tried to munch the screen on my tablet but I kept switching it off  ;D I haven't got the hang of doing that yet. I've saved it all in a draft email so I can get the license key even if I'm offline. I am going to ask Viewranger now what went wrong.
Hate will never win

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 08:35:41, 16/10/18 »
I got a very swift response from Viewranger Support, here is the reply

"No sign of a new device ID being allocated, which suggests the app's settings were not lost.

So I'd check for any disk/space cleaning apps, if you have one remove it or tell it to leave the ViewRanger folder alone.

Or if it occurs again, try closing; using the Settings app, Apps, ViewRanger, Force stop (or the phone's taks manager to close the app); restart; see if it still needs a key"

I'm not sure if my tablet has any disk cleaning apps, I will have a look. I think they are suggesting it was glitch on my tablet rather than a Viewranger problem  :-\
Hate will never win

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 09:48:19, 16/10/18 »
There is something adrift in ViewRanger’s device management. While it is limited to 4 devices it seems determined to have 4. Thus while I have only ever had one Samsung phone and one I-pad it claims I have 2 of each with different device IDs. It could be a consequence of reinstalling the software at some point but I tried managing the devices on the site and I still seem to have 4. Might have another go although tbh, it’s working, why fix it?
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 10:31:05, 16/10/18 »
Hmmm ... I have three devices using VR and 3 listed by VR  :-\
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 12:57:18, 16/10/18 »
Hmmm ... I have three devices using VR and 3 listed by VR  :-\

I got mine down to 2 active now, will see if it stays like that, in which case it was a finger fumble.  As I said it, could be if you reinstall the software it sees on old device as a new device.  I now seem to have 5 deactivated devices - 3 Samsungs, 2 I-pads and a Nokia phone.  There appears to be no way of losing them - the Nokia goes back to the day Pontius was having flying lessons.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy