Author Topic: TR - a late afternoon foray up Stony Cove Pike  (Read 3929 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
TR - a late afternoon foray up Stony Cove Pike
« on: 18:02:29, 29/03/19 »
Caudale Quarry, Stony Cove Pike, Hartsop Dodd

19th March 2019

I managed to steal a few hours on the hill whilst travelling back from Lincoln to Orkney.

After pitching my tent at Sykeside campsite, Brotherswater, I headed for the hills, rather a late start for March at around 3pm. I wasn't exactly sure how far I would get, but I fancied a look at the old quarries at Caudale, on the flanks of Rough Edge, a spur running down from the Stony Cove Pike plateau.

The tough climb ahead

A path cut across the hillside to Caudale Beck, but I lost this and picked my own route, fording the beck before heading uphill. I again headed 'off piste', traversing south east across a steepening hillside, before doubling back and joining an old packhorse trail leading up to Caudale Quarry - quite a slog! Good views back towards Brotherswater.

Looking back towards Brotherswater and Ullswater

The quarry itself is in a very remote location, and I couldn't help thinking about the hardy quarrymen struggling up to this lonely spot every day - they must have been tough. I enjoy poking around old quarries, but I wasn't tempted underground. Most of the adits had collapsed in any case, although one arched entrance remained.

Caudale Quarry from above, Brotherswater and Ullswater beyond.

Time was short so I didn't fully explore the quarry, instead heading steeply uphill onto Rough Edge. The wind was quite keen on the ridge and I soon entered the clouds. Also a few patches of snow about, and I experienced a childish delight as I stomped through them. The ridge eventually levelled off, and the faint path traversed southwards around the western edge of Caudale Moor. Realising that this was not where I wanted to go, I got the compass out and headed off eastwards over the pathless plateau, soon spotting a large cairn through the mist. Continuing eastwards, I passed a small tarn, fringed by large patches of snow, and pressed on, now following a ruinous stone wall up to Stony Cove Pike, a handy navigational aid. I followed another wall northwards in the murk and spotted what I took to be the summit cairn a short distance to the east, although other bits of ground appeared to be higher - not that I'm really caring.

Mugshot in the murk. Note the mist on my glasses!

I was tempted to press on eastwards to Thornthwaite Crag, and maybe even High Street, but common sense got the better of me - 1645 was no time to be blundering around in the murk on unknown mountains in mid March. Instead I followed the wall northwards along a broad ridge descending gently towards Hartsop Dodd. One of the good things about walking on the tops in the mist is the pleasure that I get when I descend out of it and the view ahead is suddenly revealed.

Hartsop Dodd

Caudale Quarry, the slopes of High Hartsop Dodd beyond.

The view north east from Hartsop Dodd, distant Loadpot Hill in the sun.

The climb up to Hartsop Dodd was easy, and I could almost taste my first pint in the Brotherswater Inn, but I knew that the descent to Hartsop was steep. So steep in fact that I stopped singing in mid-verse as the steepness of the slope ahead was suddenly revealed! Concentration needed - and I methodically descended the eroded path, which wound back and forth to avoid the steepest ground. At last the gradient eased, and I relaxed - too soon though, my feet shot away from under me on the wet grass and I ended up on my backside!

Hartsop far below

My route back took me through Hartsop village, past a beautiful camelia in full flower. Rather than just follow the road and rather unsatisfactory permissive path along the eastern shores of Brotherswater, I crossed over to the western side of the valley and returned through the lovely woodland along the western shore, a delightful spot, made magical by wrens and blackbirds singing in the approaching twilight. And the first owl hooted just as I was returning to the tent.

A short but tough late afternoon walk of 6 miles - I certainly earned my pint(s) of Jennings Cumberland Ale!
« Last Edit: 07:58:18, 30/03/19 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - a late afternoon foray up Stony Cove Pike
« Reply #1 on: 08:10:43, 30/03/19 »
Lovely pictures Richard.
Brings back memories of when we were there last year staying at the Brothers Water Inn and came down the path through the quarry.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:23:42, 30/03/19 »
Great pics & report Richard O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:29:26, 30/03/19 »
Lovely pics Richard  O0  we must camp on Caudale moor sometime.
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:36:02, 30/03/19 »
Lovely pictures Richard.
Brings back memories of when we were there last year staying at the Brothers Water Inn and came down the path through the quarry.

Thanks Ridge - I particularly like the area around Brotherswater, the hills are particularly steep - it was one of my father's favourite lakes too. That track through the woods on the western shore is delightful, as is the path traversing up into upper Dovedale. And the pub is good!

I have a particular fondness for poking around old quarries and mines, a minor peccadillo of mine, and something to break up an otherwise steep ascent. The criss-crossing network of old paths leading up to Caudale Quarry is particularly striking on one of the photos above. Such a lot of effort to wrest decent roofing material from the ground!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:36:20, 30/03/19 »
Great pics & report Richard O0

Thanks Sunnydale - do you know the area?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:39:58, 30/03/19 »
Lovely pics Richard  O0  we must camp on Caudale moor sometime.

Thanks April.
Isn't Caudale Moor a bit far from Keswick?  ;) >:D

Seriously though, it would be a good spot near that small tarn. I was scouting around the quarry for a good pitch too, some flat grassy areas where the old tramways ran, but I suspect that it would be next to impossible to get the pegs in! A very atmospheric place to spend a night though.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:21:08, 30/03/19 »
Very enjoyable TR, Richard.  O0

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:23:17, 30/03/19 »
A short sharp outing with atmospheric pics, I can see you were misty eyed with it all  O0
Ah yes, the infamous Hartsop Dodd, we ascended it once and once it will stay now, it starts steep and gets steeeeep. As for descending it, we have more respect for our old knees!.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 11:19:23, 30/03/19 »
Very enjoyable TR, Richard.  O0

Thanks for the feedback, adalard - spurs me on to do more TRs.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 11:21:31, 30/03/19 »
A short sharp outing with atmospheric pics, I can see you were misty eyed with it all  O0
Ah yes, the infamous Hartsop Dodd, we ascended it once and once it will stay now, it starts steep and gets steeeeep. As for descending it, we have more respect for our old knees!.

HaHaHa  :D
It was a bit of a problem, as both lenses misted up as I retreated from the cairn. I had to stop and clean them the best I could.

And yes, a vicious descent - I wouldn't fancy going up that way.

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 16:41:56, 30/03/19 »
A good read Richard. Love that view from Hartsop Dodd, looking down on the tiny village. Thanks for sharing  O0
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 21:41:29, 30/03/19 »
I'm glad you posted about falling on your bum, it's nice to know veteran walkers do it too!

When I was last at the Brotherswater Inn I had a pint of something called Tirril's Ullswater Blonde and remember enjoying it. I don't like bitter beers - if you're the same give it a try next time you're there. If you like bitter beers you might find it a bit soft.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 07:26:29, 31/03/19 »
Nice pictures and TR Richard, that path up or down Hartsop Dodd is certainly steep!! 

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 09:34:04, 31/03/19 »
A good read Richard. Love that view from Hartsop Dodd, looking down on the tiny village. Thanks for sharing  O0

Thanks, jontea.

I'm glad you posted about falling on your bum, it's nice to know veteran walkers do it too!

When I was last at the Brotherswater Inn I had a pint of something called Tirril's Ullswater Blonde and remember enjoying it. I don't like bitter beers - if you're the same give it a try next time you're there. If you like bitter beers you might find it a bit soft.

It happens from time to time, Rob, usually for me when I think that the difficulties are over and I relax my concentration.

Regarding beer - I am a bitter man, but not exclusively so. Sometimes I like to go for a lighter 'session' ale.

Nice pictures and TR Richard, that path up or down Hartsop Dodd is certainly steep!! 

Thanks, pdstsp; the hills around there certainly are uncompromisingly steep!

...but if I wanted flat, I would go to Lincolnshire.....
« Last Edit: 09:39:47, 31/03/19 by richardh1905 »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy