Author Topic: Any hiking plans for 2020?  (Read 4493 times)

andyapanel

Re: Any hiking plans for 2020?
« Reply #15 on: 16:10:38, 25/11/19 »
I am returning to my Western Front walk in March (I reached Verdun last year) and then the C2C end of April/ beginning of May.
Being retired is Fab :D

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 18:25:13, 25/11/19 »
I assume the southwest 2000s are going to be quite a long way from me in the north east of Scotland.

I shall have to check my typing, as I doubt I will be up to climbing much in 3030. I don’t have an Elixir of Life, but I do have some Water of Life - 15 year old Bowmore and Talisker :)

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 19:06:00, 25/11/19 »
A lot more camping this year.  I feel I've not done much of it this year and it's frustrated me - even if it is due to legitmate reasons like sick family and work.  I'm not talking epic long trips, but a series of 3 days / 2 night trips are doable and let you find a bit of space in the outdoors without the need to drive as much as you do with day hikes.

Would be nice to book a trip to Patagonia too since I've wanted to do a few technical routes there for a while now.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 19:31:33, 25/11/19 »
A few....

A couple of walking holidays abroad, although I haven't decided where yet. More research needed.

Hope to have a week or two in Scotland....and a week somewhere new (coastal) in Wales.
I'd really like to get over to Ireland next year.  I'd planned to go this year but what with one thing and another, I ran out of time/opportunity ::)

I'll also have a few long weekends away, which could be anywhere! Depends what comes up with my walking group.

:)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Stube

« Reply #19 on: 20:42:25, 26/11/19 »
MacMillan Way for me - or at least the first 150 miles of it. Boston to Oxford roughly. It'll take me through half a dozen counties I've never walked in -  new vistas.

Doddy

« Reply #20 on: 11:46:13, 27/11/19 »
My plans are to do the Three Lochs Way and another section of the GR5. I have done 5 or 600 miles on the GR5, particularly Geneva to Nice and the Netherlands. I am looking at the Vosges and Jura section.

burntfruit

« Reply #21 on: 20:39:11, 01/12/19 »
I have two trips already booked.

Walking in Hydra Island Greece in March.

Exploring the Black Forest in May.

Also want to do a cycle tour of the Isle of Skye, or may do a UK hiking trip. Not sure yet.  :)

Little Foot

« Reply #22 on: 09:59:00, 02/12/19 »
I'm hoping to do the Yorkshire Wolds Way in May, with my son, who will just about be 13 then. Still at the beginning of the planning stage for it as it is hindered by the lack of accommodation and me not wanting to cart a tent about!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 11:32:59, 02/12/19 »
My original plan was to hike the GR131 on Tenerife, in January and to do it before the 31st of the month. I just couldn't get the price or the take-off times that I wanted and most dates were sold out anyway.

So I changed plans and have now booked a 5-day hike to La Palma instead, setting off in the second week of January 2020. The two dates were the only ones on offer from Easyjet, Gatwick so I grabbed at them.

Interestingly I started my search by looking at Skyscanner and their on-screen display read that there were NO return flights from La Palma to Gatwick at all in January 2020. So I went directly to Easyjet and my two dates were displayed right in front of me. Does this mean that airline companies may not release all of their flight details to Skyscanner?

I'd be very grateful for those who have hiked on the island for any tips. My primary route will be from the southern tip of the island straight up the mountain spine in the centre. Looking forward to the volcano area, haven't done one of those before. It also looks like I will have to equip myself well with water and food though, haven't yet had time to look at the shopping and eating opportunities that might or might not be availble to be away from the coastline.

mow1701

« Reply #24 on: 20:08:21, 02/12/19 »
Main backpacking project will be walking the Cambrian Way. Guidebook bought, itinary planned and strip maps at 1:25k printed and laminated by daily stages.

In terms of regular walking I want to bagged all the mountain peaks in Snowdonia. Went there earlier this year and reminded how good Snowdonia is. Probably doing a mix of day walks and weekend backpacking wild camps.

Agentorange

« Reply #25 on: 07:15:24, 22/12/19 »
Plan A: don't put foot down concealed rabbit hole on Bank Holiday thus breaking bone and doing muscle damage

Plan B : assuming plan A goes ok, just get out and do some walking.  ;D

I've a few short walks ( 4-5 ) miles already planned. From Rye to Winchelsea and back going via camber castle on the way out and via the Padiam Sewer ( a drainage channel in reality ) path returning. I mean, an enjoyable walk and forts and castles what's not to like ?

Hope to get to Devon in Spring and want to do a few bits of the SWCP definitely the bit from Seaton to Branscombe . If the foots behaving the Undercliff walk from Lyme Regis to Seaton.

From High Halstow out to Allhallows on the Hoo peninsular.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 08:48:54, 22/12/19 »
Now that we are settling into our new house in south Cumbria, I'm starting to think of the year ahead:

As well as lots of local walks, I/We have the following in mind:

- More winter forays - I get a real buzz from getting up onto the fells in full winter conditions!
- A trip up Helvellyn with my 12 year old son - I'll have to wait until spring for this one.
- Short weekend family camping trips in the Lakes and Yorkshire Dales.
- Wild camping, probably on my own. I'm particularly interested in doing 2-3 day through trips using public transport - Threlkeld to Ambleside, Ravenglass to Keswick, Penrith to Kendal; that sort of thing.
- A trip to the Cheviot. After following the Spine Race last year I really fancy that long border ridge between Byrness and The Cheviot.
- Family holiday in Snowdonia, possibly some long weekends too. Revisit old stomping grounds, Carneddau, Rhinogs, Lleyn. And my son wants to climb Snowdon, of course.
- Galloway hills.
- Would love a trip over to the Mourne Mountains, but not sure whether that will happen.
- Would also like to get into the Highlands, but no specific plans.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 09:25:30, 22/12/19 »
If the weather ever dries out I plan some walks in and around Knighton on the Welsh border, Clun & the lovely Blaen Y Glyn again.

I enjoy repeat walks at different times of the year. Also hoping to walk Helvellyn around April with my Bro.  O0 
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 09:54:42, 22/12/19 »
I'm not sure what's going to happen at the end of next month, will the pound plummet? Will it bounce back quickly or slowly?

I'd like to book flights to Sweden but at the moment it looks like their only taking bookings six months in advance. I'm looking at July/August.

Closer to home, a weekend backpacking trip through Glen Kinglas using the trains from Crianlarich.

Cycling the Hebridean way and returning via Skye and Moidart.
« Last Edit: 10:10:33, 22/12/19 by Owen »

Tame Camper

« Reply #29 on: 15:47:48, 22/12/19 »
For 2020 I would like a week in North Wales, not exactly sure where, but there is plenty of inspiration on this forum. It will probably be the end of May or early June, so I have plenty of time to prepare and enjoy looking at maps. Need to buy new ones, my current maps are from the 1980's. The hills won't have changed much, but everything else may have.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy