Author Topic: Is snow preventing anyone else from getting out?  (Read 1905 times)

henryb

• Veteran Member
It is -11 on Slieve Donard in the Mournes and I decided to walk the Bangor coastal route only to find that I can't even drive down my lane because the snow is 3 inches deep! Yet other parts of Northern Ireland have very little. Is snow adversely affecting anyone else's plans? :(

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Is snow preventing anyone else from getting out?
« Reply #1 on: 10:57:38, 03/03/18 »
No.  Not really.  Although I don't think where I live has had it as bad as other parts of the country.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:08:28, 03/03/18 »
If the thaw continues should be able to get out of my driveway by Monday!
Solvitur Ambulando

MichaelUK

« Reply #3 on: 11:17:05, 03/03/18 »
North Durham here, Consett, on the edge of the North Pennines. The snow is stopping me getting the car out to my usual starting points. The upside is Im exploring local areas. So no, the snow isnt stopping me getting out.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:18:15, 03/03/18 »
No chance of getting mine or swmbo’s car near the main road anytime soon. But we got out walking locally with the dog yesterday and this morning so not all bad.
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:26:00, 03/03/18 »
beefy is still trying to get to Carlisle on the train so I didn't bother going into the Lakes today on my own although the buses are running properly again. I still feel crappy with this virus (when is it ever going to get better?  :'( ) so I had a lie in and I'm having a lazy day. It is snowing a bit outside now. Crikey I hope beefy doesn't get stranded on the train  :o
Hate will never win

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:41:11, 03/03/18 »
The road through our village was closed to traffic on Thursday and for some of Friday. Didn't stop people trying to get  through despite the terrible weather, some of whom ended up involuntarily "parking" their cars in snow drifts at the side of road. It opened again yesterday and buses had started a limited service by lunch time. The trains which did run on Thursday were all cancelled yesterday (and today, though today is because of a strike).

I fancied getting out in the snow, just a little ramble from the front door around local farmland but it's really misty out there and there's no views so there doesn't seem much point.  :-\ 

KimE

« Reply #7 on: 12:21:38, 03/03/18 »
No problem with my snowshoes or skiis we have 30-40" of snow.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:25:55, 03/03/18 »
I'm not very keen on walking far out in the countryside in wintry weather, especially with traffic disruption, so I've been doing my usual walks from the door.  It was fun seeing snow on the beach here in Brighton and Hove, and I went up on to the rural fringe with views of the snow on the South Downs.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:42:14, 03/03/18 »
What Snow, both my friends in Deganwy and me in Dyffryn, have only had a very lite coating of snow, which melted very quickly.
The only issue in NW Wales was the extreme cold, so we have been very lucky compared to the rest of the Uk.

Any snow that falls on the North Wales coast is usually gone in a few hours, the Gulf Stream makes sure of that.

Only the very severe winter of 2010, where temperatures remained well below freezing from the start of Christmas to the end of January, did the snow hang around for any length of time.

There are certain benefits to living near the coast, you get the mayhem associated with the high winds brought by the SWesterlies, but the NE winds only bring severe windchill, the snow thankfully is never an issue on the North Welsh coast.

The early winter of 2010 was a very rare event, with the last large accumulation of heavy snow sticking around for weeks  back in 1981.

The mountains of Snowdonia catch most of the bad weather, leaving the coastal strips fairly protected from the extremes of winter snow.
« Last Edit: 14:45:15, 03/03/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:43:05, 03/03/18 »
Well Cairngorm and Glenshee ski centers are still closed, by snow. I've been out on my XC skis locally and I have the Ochils hills right behind the house. We have about 12 to 18 inches of snow in the village but the main roads are all open now.

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 15:10:46, 03/03/18 »
KI suppose mt concern is public transport...it doesn't help that some trains aren't running today because of a strike.
Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 15:23:27, 03/03/18 »
KIME are you from Northumberland?  ;D What you are describing is proper to be concerned about weather.

On an Island such as ours surrounded on all sides by sea we do not frequently get huge falls of snow and what we do get usually clears fairly quickly.  That is the  reason why as a country we are never prepared. It is difficult to justify the huge spending involved for something that is not as regular or prolonged as a Scandinavian style winter. As a result every once in a while we get caught out.

Well those from south of the Tyne do anyway. Those from north of the Tyne sometimes wear long sleeved T shirts. ;)
Too little, too late, too bad......

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 15:56:22, 03/03/18 »
Heavy snowfall, and sub zero temperatures are nothing new here in the Uk.
Everytime it snows here, everything comes to a grinding halt, we simply cannot cope.

I will never forget the recent Chris Tarrant series, where is goes on these epic railway journey's, the one on Norway was a great insight to how to come with serious weather.

Why do other countries soldier on, in far more severe weather than anything we see in the Uk, and yet we come to a grinding halt, unable to cope, every time it starts to snow.

Surely we must have learnt a few lessons over the years, as this shutdown of the country has cost us many millions  yet again.

Flanners

« Reply #14 on: 16:23:43, 03/03/18 »
This snow has given me an appreciation of local footpaths and byways. I have been walking from my doorstep and have been amazed at some of the paths I have never walked and some of the beautiful scenery from different viewpoints that I have been cycling and driving past.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy