Author Topic: Waterproof overtrousers or waterproof trousers?  (Read 9832 times)

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
The prospect of kneeling down and taking bearings in my track trousers in this rain in a muddy field isn't thrilling (and to think I used to play rugby, how did I become so woosey) so I had a brainwave and realised there might be more choice of waterproof clothing in my size if I looked at workwear rather than walking clothes.

Question is now should I get waterproof trousers or overtrousers? If my experience with waterproof jackets is anything to go buy I suspect overtrousers but I wanted to hear the forums wisdom before parting with more cash.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Waterproof overtrousers or waterproof trousers?
« Reply #1 on: 13:00:00, 27/04/19 »
Both.  Overtrousers for warmer weather when they will spend most of their time in your pack.  Waterproof trousers for the northern winter - they are warmer, less prone to condensation and you are more likely to need them at some point so you might as well set out wearing them.  If it is a choice of one - good quality overtrousers.
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:08:52, 27/04/19 »
Thanks ninthace. I need a button on my phone that writes "thanks ninthace" it seems to need tapping very often. This is for now so I'll doubt I'll need the warmth of the one layer solution. The quality of the overtrousers is going to be a bit of a gamble since these workwear brands are mostly unknown. I'll try and send them back under the consumer rights act if they're rubbish.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:35:13, 27/04/19 »

Yep - waterproof over-trousers. Two layers of warmth if you need it. I seldom wear my waterproof trousers as I find them sweaty on days which turnout better than expected and not as warm on those which turnout colder.

Don't spend too much. Mine are Karrimor and happily cope with a wet day on Dartmoor.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:41:51, 27/04/19 »
Thanks ninthace. I need a button on my phone that writes "thanks ninthace" it seems to need tapping very often.
Nichts zu danken my Padawan
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:49:33, 27/04/19 »
Thanks Jac.

I opted for these in the end. Hopefully they're better than the IsoDry 5000 Mountain Warehouse ones which went in the bin on account of the jacket in the same fabric letting water through the fabric when skin touched it. Maybe I should have given them a chance but the jacket annoyed me and put me off Mountain Warehouse.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:09:31, 27/04/19 »
Thanks Jac.

I opted for these in the end. Hopefully they're better than the IsoDry 5000 Mountain Warehouse ones which went in the bin on account of the jacket in the same fabric letting water through the fabric when skin touched it. Maybe I should have given them a chance but the jacket annoyed me and put me off Mountain Warehouse.

Hopefully..........................................proof of the pudding ???
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:19:04, 27/04/19 »

Hopefully..........................................proof of the pudding ???

Not much choice but to rely on pudding-proof. I saw some gore-tex trousers in workwear but they weren't overtrousers and also had a 48" waist - a little too small (so may have smaller legs, a problem when my thighs flex).

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 14:45:03, 27/04/19 »
Those appear to be intended for all day wear.  They are waterproof trousers rather than overtrousers.  I cannot see any see any evidence of leg zips or leg velcro which would mean that you will have trouble putting them on or off over your boots.  Is that what you meant to get?  Both my overtrousers and my winter waterproof trousers have full length leg zips for ease of putting on and off and for ventilation.
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 14:56:47, 27/04/19 »
Those appear to be intended for all day wear.  They are waterproof trousers rather than overtrousers.  I cannot see any see any evidence of leg zips or leg velcro which would mean that you will have trouble putting them on or off over your boots.  Is that what you meant to get?  Both my overtrousers and my winter waterproof trousers have full length leg zips for ease of putting on and off and for ventilation.

No I thought they were overtrousers on account of the description saying "Side pocket opening so you can get to your trousers below". I'll probably miss them not having ventilation zips. I'll try taking a carrier bag and shove it over my boots then push them through the trousers as a way around not having zips to put them on. I'll look around for ones with zips, can always send these ones back.
« Last Edit: 15:00:09, 27/04/19 by Rob Goes Walking »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 15:43:59, 27/04/19 »
Might work, good luck getting the heels of your boots through.  Hope you are good at standing on one leg - either that or take another bag to sit on.
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 16:02:38, 27/04/19 »
I'm very pleased with my Berghaus 'Deluge' overtrousers, Rob - out in all weather over the winter in them. Full length double ended zips make them easy to put on over boots, and are good for ventilation.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 16:07:16, 27/04/19 »
Can't find any with zips. I'm pretty good at standing on one leg and change between trainers and hiking boots this way but I'll remember to take my folding sitmat.

Those trousers look nice Richard in fact I've looked at them before, couldn't find them in a 50" waist.

I can't work out if these are trousers or overtrousers. Some Helly Hansen trousers are variously described as trousers and overtrousers on other sites. I'm thinking trousers which is a shame as I'm quite happy with my jacket with the same model name. HH customer services are closed for the weekend. What do you think they are?

Edit: according to a review I found they're overtrousers and have knee length zips.
« Last Edit: 16:18:14, 27/04/19 by Rob Goes Walking »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 16:25:37, 27/04/19 »
Yeah, they only seem to go up to 45" waist.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Dread

« Reply #14 on: 16:28:25, 27/04/19 »
I usually hike in Lidl's own waterproof hiking trousers. In fact I wear them to work most days as well. £7.99. Very lightweight so they don't get sweaty. If it rains hard they get saturated but soon dry out. I'm the sort of person who delays putting on rain gear because it might just be a shower. I usually have my rain jacket on anyway but i can't be bothered trying to pull overtrousers on in a deluge. If it all gets too much i throw on my poncho.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy