Author Topic: Walks round or near Hull  (Read 2956 times)

Kmo86

Walks round or near Hull
« on: 12:49:47, 22/11/18 »
as some of you will know from my previous posts I attend a brain injury group and would like to walk the 3 Yorkshire peaks. The man who runs group is into fitness and has walked the 3 Yorkshire peaks twice along with many other things.

This year he agreed to plan some walks leading up to doing the 3 peaks. First was a 5 mile hill walk on a hot day which was probably part of the reason 2 people didn’t manage it and 2 others struggled. I was fine and 8 of us completed it. Next was a 10 mile hill walk in hope valley. The man expected me to struggle but knew how keen I was to do it so 9 of us did this walk. Honestly a mile in I was struggling we was all asked if any of us needed to go back there was one woman who considered it but for me there was no chance I was going back. Well 2 mile in I think everyone but me thought I would end up going back. I had to sit down as I was feeling dizzy. First question I was asked was did I need to go back. Still there was no chance I was going back so I was encouraged to eat a chocolate bar which I did. Even while I was sat feeling dizzy I told the man who organised it I still wanted to do more walks which he just told me to focus on this one for now as he didn’t think I’d manage that at that time understandably. After eating a small chocolate bar I felt ok to carry on. My balance is never much good and on this day it showed a lot.

Since then the mans decided he’s not doing any longer walks with the group as both other staff who went have said they don’t want to do longer walks and he has said he doesn’t want to which seems to be mainly cos of the risk involved as they would be responsible if anything went wrong. He has said he would do another same length and said we may do one of the 3 Yorkshire peaks.

As it’s now winter it’s not the best weather for walking. I have mentioned to the man that I would like to plan some walks for the group and see how I do. I’m starting with a easy 3 mile round Hull which is where the group is based. I am useless with directions so will be a test to see how I get on. Also will be trying to show I can keep an eye on everyone. I’m hoping to show I can manage organising the walk and safety direct it then do more longer walks probably a mix of hills and flat for everyone. Also it seems the man who runs group is looking forward to seeing how I get on as he’s mentioned it a few times.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Walks round or near Hull
« Reply #1 on: 13:10:46, 22/11/18 »
Just had a look at the OS on line mapping app.  There are dozens of routes round Hull to choose from so enjoy.  Could be worth you subscribing to the app then you could download routes and follow them on your phone.
Solvitur Ambulando

Doddy

« Reply #2 on: 15:52:50, 22/11/18 »

Hi I am originally from the Hull area.
You can walk from Victoria Pier along the Humber bank to the Humber Bridge; you shouldn't get lost as you are alongside the water and Clive Sullivan Way.

It is part of the long Trans Pennine Trail. It goes on a bit further as the finish is at King George Dock. Alternatively you could get a bus to start at the Hessle end and return along the waterside to Hull and Victoria Pier.

I have twice done the Three Yorkshire Peaks -it is a challenge and busy. I did the Pennine Bridleway a couple of year ago and it has passes Horton in Ribblesdale. It was very busy there I was told there was three Charity events doing the three Peaks and over thousand people involved; little or no chance of accommodation or refreshments in the village.The campsite was a zoo. Fortunately I was just passing through. At seven o`clock at night people where gazing up at the hills for news of people; if they were not in sight they could be another two hours or more.
« Last Edit: 16:06:03, 22/11/18 by Doddy »

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:31:39, 22/11/18 »
I often go over the bridge for a walk, I live on the south bank. You could walk over the bridge and back. I walked from the centre of Hull along the foreshore to Paul, and Heddon and got a bus back.
There is the Country Park close to the bridge. Or walk from the bridge the other way along the river bank. You could get a bus to North Ferriby, or Swanland, or Welton, or Melton, or Elloughton, or South Cave. Lots of nice places to walk in those areas.  Good luck.

ilona

andybr

« Reply #4 on: 20:13:08, 22/11/18 »
I often go over the bridge for a walk, I live on the south bank. You could walk over the bridge and back. I walked from the centre of Hull along the foreshore to Paul, and Heddon and got a bus back.
There is the Country Park close to the bridge. Or walk from the bridge the other way along the river bank. You could get a bus to North Ferriby, or Swanland, or Welton, or Melton, or Elloughton, or South Cave. Lots of nice places to walk in those areas.  Good luck.

ilona

Please note that the Wolds Way between Hessle and North Ferriby has recently been closed due to unstable land next to the railway track. I believe it is open again at the moment but may need to be closed again while work is carried out. The current status is given on the National Trails website.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:35:11, 22/11/18 »
There's the Fish Trail around Hull City Centre if you want an easy to follow urban walk - about 3 miles I think.

There's also lots of walk ideas on the Walking The Riding website.

Kmo86

« Reply #6 on: 23:59:10, 22/11/18 »
Yea the fish trail is going to my first walk which will be easy enough to walk on my own to know the way. Will look at walks over the Humber bridge as I’ve never been over it and I know there is a park near it which could be included. Will look to get some app to look at different routes as this seems the beat way to get to do longer walks.

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:00:42, 23/11/18 »

Please note that the Wolds Way between Hessle and North Ferriby has recently been closed due to unstable land next to the railway track. I believe it is open again at the moment but may need to be closed again while work is carried out. The current status is given on the National Trails website.

I was over that way a couple of weeks ago, there was some herras fencing up but room to go round it over the rocky beach. I heard it was going to be closed altogether soon, for a long time, while they repair it.

ilona

Kmo86

« Reply #8 on: 10:21:40, 26/11/18 »
Is there any maps or routes along the Humber Bridge? I know I’m probably thinking too far ahead for now as I need to do the fish trail walk to show I can manage, but I’m thinking I could do a walk along Humber Bridge. Early next year as it’s something I would like to do and never have and I know there’s a park near one of ends to walk round with a cafe.

Well will mention doing more walks to the man tomorrow but not say too much as he likes to just focus on one thing at a time l. I’m thinking do fish trail then talk to him about how it went and then mention Humber Bridge.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:21:09, 26/11/18 »
There is indeed a "park" near the bridge.  It's the old chalk quarry which has been naturalised and turned into a series of walking trails.

Google "Humber Bridge Country Park Walk" and click on the PDF link that comes up for East Riding Council (sorry, for whatever reason, it won't let me provide a link to the leaflet directly).  It's probably available from the Information Point in the car park though.

There's also this link here with one of the walks as a downloadable GPX route:

http://www.gps-routes.co.uk/routes/home.nsf/routeslinkscycle/humber-bridge-country-park-walking-and-cycle-route#

Kmo86

« Reply #11 on: 13:17:12, 27/11/18 »
Thanks for them Humber Bridge routes will have a look. Well this fish trail is tricky I don’t know hull that wellhad quick look at start of trail today not sure which way to go so going to look on internet and try to walk it next week.

Got the date we plan on doing it 12th December. Got few people wanting to do it a few more to ask. This will be big test for me as I’m not used to leading anything and no good with directions and do have habit of letting others take over. Oh and there’s a little boy coming tho he will likely be in buggy with his mum pushing it if she goes on walk. The man who runs group is opposite of me he’s used to leading everything and showed today I will probably need to keep reminding him I’m organising it as I planned to find out today who’s wanting to come and he beat me to it. To be fair I was delaying asking people as didn’t want to be pushy while people were talking. Going to see where any cafes or places we can stop are and see how everyone gets on. One who is waning to go can only walk slow and another possible person is in wheelchair but may of started walking again so will need to make sure they are ok. Man who runs group has said could take upto 3 hours. I wouldn’t have said that long but as it’s the first walk I’ve planned I’ll take notice and can easily have bit longer in cafe to fill some time.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:15:38, 27/11/18 »
Good luck  :)   Hope it all goes well and the weather is kind to you.

Kmo86

« Reply #13 on: 20:25:36, 04/12/18 »
Well all set for next Wednesday all being well. Not sure exactly how many going but enough for it to be worth going. One of staff has said today they can’t make it so hoping that won’t effect us doing it. It is simple enough route most people will know the area so shouldn’t be problem.

Walked the route today and made few notes to help me so all set for next week. Me with directions don’t go together very well but I will get the route on my phone to help. Also going to be having breaks so can use that time to make sure I know where I’m going. Got one man who may be meeting us while on the walk.

Kmo86

« Reply #14 on: 12:25:58, 11/12/18 »
Walk delayed tip new year not enough people can do it before Xmas. So makeup runs group mentioned it today saying we will do some walks in new year. I mentioned I’d like to do more and longer ones and he agreed so now I’m thinking maybe a further one to start I new year going to see what he says. I only agreed to this short walk really so he didn’t say no straight away thinking I wouldn’t manage it.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy