Author Topic: Please Help Me!! Urgent  (Read 1633 times)

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
Re: Please Help Me!! Urgent
« Reply #15 on: 13:30:59, 20/06/19 »
Give him a break, Alan. Would your average classmates have done any better at his age.

Thanks Mel and BuzyG.
Hope we can shine a positive light on his quest for knowledge.

At aged 16 I would have hoped so.
However having spent many years interviewing school leavers for jobs, I really do worry about the future of the countrywhen statistics such as these are published

Q) What is the average reading age of adults in the UK?

A) 9 years old
The average reading age in the UK is about 9 years old. 1.7 million adults in England, have literacy levels below those expected of an 11-year-old. the average 12 year old has over 50,000 terms in their vocabulary

Adult Illiteracy in the UK. According to the National Literacy Trust 16% of adults are considered to be 'functionally
illiterate' in the United Kingdom.
Literacy levels are falling among the younger generations and it is stated that 1 in 5 adults struggle to read and write
« Last Edit: 13:34:34, 20/06/19 by alan de enfield »

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 14:30:34, 20/06/19 »
 I have done the survey but he dosen't point out the market he is targeting."Camping" is a blanket name for a very diverse activity.The needs of the backpacker are going to be different to someone with a family tent and car.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 10:03:30, 28/06/19 »

Q) What is the average reading age of adults in the UK?

A) 9 years old
The average reading age in the UK is about 9 years old. 1.7 million adults in England, have literacy levels below those expected of an 11-year-old.

I don’t know where you sourced these statistics, but they don’t make sense to me. Given that there are over 52 million over 18s in the UK, having less than 4% with literacy less than or equal to an 11 year old doesn’t line up with an average reading age of 9. In any event, averages are not very useful in describing anything and are often misleading. The average shoe size in my household is 6.5, but shoes of this size would not suit me (12) or my wife (1).  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy