Author Topic: Anither 5 Day C2C Attempt.  (Read 1680 times)

dav

Anither 5 Day C2C Attempt.
« on: 20:39:03, 20/08/18 »
Posting as Slogger. Well Ive had nothing but dnf's during the last two years of long distance attempts. It has been a bit of a shock not being able to complete what I set out to do. a couple i can put down to injury but the two C2C failures, the first ending a few miles after Sunbiggin Tarn, was purely due to leg fatigue. I was on schedule but it was an effort and my legs empty.
The second a couple of weeks later was purely down to bad ball of foot blisters and ended in Gunnerside.
This year started with my dnf during the Spine race in January, due to severe quad muscle pain at Lothersdale. Following this was a failure on the 72 mile Ribble way after 54 miles at Settle, then another failure on a non stop Cumbria Way at Keswick after 30 miles, legs ok this time but mental strength low. just couldn't get the motivation to pass the length of Borrowdale and beyond during the chilly dark of night time.
I have done nothing since, but am itching to do something. It may turn out to be a big mistake as confidence is low and that's not a good marker for these type of attempts, but i feel I have to give it a go and see.
The attempt will take place in a couple of weeks time following Wainwrights route to the letter, starting at St.Bees.
Instead of trying to beat my previous best time to the summit of Dent, I will aim to equal the time I did on my first sub 5 dayer, or even slightly slower. I will use that first schedule as a guide. However I am a bit stuck for somewhere to camp or wild camp in the Richmond area?
During that first full C2C before I started to find a shorter straighter line I make several time consuming errors. The first was after Dent, upon reaching the road I turned right instead of left and went a fair distance before turning around and getting back on track. The second was after Sunbiggin Tarn in the dark of very early morning. i reached a big wall and couldn't decide whether to follow it or go through the gate. I went through the gate and ended up on the wrong side of the deep old railway cutting. Eventually finding a way out of the field onto the old railway and managing to escape down to Smardale bridge. Third error was not being able (again in the dark of evening) find the stile near Hollins Farm on the way to Marske. I spent aleast two hours wandering around fields before taking a compass bearing due North to intercept the road where I needed to be. Shortly after that just before Marske i failed to see the sign and turned to the right at a road junction instead of going slightly left. That had me doing a big loop detour along the road all the way to Richmond which I reached several hours late bang on midnight.
Thankfully after those I made no further errors and arrived RHB after 4 days 15 hours after setting off from St. Bees.
My theory is that taking it easier due to my lack of fitness and conditioning of late I should still have (now I know the route) more than half a day in hand available to use bearing in mind that first schedule time.
We will see.
Dave.

dav

Re: Anither 5 Day C2C Attempt.
« Reply #1 on: 20:43:11, 20/08/18 »

Posting as Slogger. Did a 24.5 miler yesterday all walking with around 3,000 ft of ascent and descent. Plan was to average 3mph. I was stopped a few times talking to people I know on the route but still managed to get home in an average 3.2mph. pleased as i can be with that but suffered terribly from restless leg syndrone later, tossing and turning all night wanting to keep stretching them out. Just hope the walk has done some good and awoken some muscle memory as I have now booked into St.Bees to start at 4.30am on Thursday next week 28th August. 

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:04:18, 20/08/18 »
 Good luck with it Dave.I was reading one of Bill Cowley's books the other night and he mentioned a non stop attempt in the sixties by a couple on their honeymoon! Apparently they went east-west and got near Shap before retiring due to injury.
 I wouldn't worry about times to the top of Dent,or for that matter,the time to anywhere.Just get out there and enjoy it.

dav

« Reply #3 on: 17:28:20, 21/08/18 »
Booked in B&B in St. Bees for two nights with my wife. I will sneak out early Thursday morning, 30th August around 4am. My wife is getting a later train home.
Hopefully in RHB late afternoon/early evening monday 3rd September. I will post Tracker link later.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:26:46, 22/08/18 »
Reading your navigational mishaps, why don't you carry a gps with your route plotted in advance and activate the off course alarm set at say 100m. That will save you getting lost in the first place.
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:39:49, 22/08/18 »
100?  Mine is set at 50, reckon that's far enough the wrong way  ;D
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:31:03, 22/08/18 »
100?  Mine is set at 50, reckon that's far enough the wrong way  ;D

Nah, too many spurious alarms at 50  O0 
Solvitur Ambulando

dav

« Reply #7 on: 13:49:14, 24/08/18 »
Reading your navigational mishaps, why don't you carry a gps with your route plotted in advance and activate the off course alarm set at say 100m. That will save you getting lost in the first place.
Posting as Slogger.
That was my first crossing,  this will be (hopefully) my fourth, I know the route now. I have a gps unit but didn't have a working one then. I rely on map and compass and only use gps to find my location, so it is normally switched off and alarm wouldn't sound.
Navigation is my strong point, I have taught it, in daytime it wouldn't have been an issue but in the dark of night errors are easy to make especially when your tools are the wrong ones. (Harvey strip maps)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy