Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 292344 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #1455 on: 21:29:08, 17/10/20 »
From reading posts it seems quite a few of us are, have been, or will be in the garden? I'm there tomorrow night, I want to test a different configuration of my tarp.

Requiem

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1456 on: 06:18:47, 18/10/20 »
Just bought myself a Nordisk Svalbard 1 man tent - arrived on thursday and took it up onto Kinder Low for a night camp to see how it fares. Snug as a bug :-)
PT Business: poshpollyprints.co.uk
Twitter: @pollardroy
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/roypollard/
Facebook: Roy Pollard

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1457 on: 16:24:47, 21/10/20 »
Well as a Tier 3 dweller just bought myself an Osprey Talon 11 so that I don't have to lug anything large around on my dreadful local walks for the next n months.  >:(

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1458 on: 17:19:33, 21/10/20 »
Well as a Tier 3 dweller just bought myself an Osprey Talon 11 so that I don't have to lug anything large around on my dreadful local walks for the next n months.  >:(
Comiserations.

Mind you, most of our walks this year have been within 15 miles of home and they haven't been too bad.  In tier 3 you are supposed to stay local for a given value of local so if most of the North ends up in tier 3 you should still be able to find the odd hill with a view.   O0

Solvitur Ambulando

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1459 on: 18:10:04, 21/10/20 »
Yes - not sure how it works.  I am in Tier 3 Liverpool area which has no hills, and, in my area, not a great access network.  But I am next door to Tier 3 Lancashire, which has quite a few hills and better walking.  But, we are "guided"  not to travel outside our area for other than work education or a couple of other things.  So - is Tier 3 to Tier 3 allowed for pleasure?  I am also doing an on-line photography diploma - so could crossing a border be for educational purposes if I do some photography? 
 Edited to say:
Sorry - this is in the wrong part of the forum - please ignore or don't reply.

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1460 on: 18:55:46, 21/10/20 »
Yes - not sure how it works.  I am in Tier 3 Liverpool area which has no hills, and, in my area, not a great access network.  But I am next door to Tier 3 Lancashire, which has quite a few hills and better walking.  But, we are "guided"  not to travel outside our area for other than work education or a couple of other things.  So - is Tier 3 to Tier 3 allowed for pleasure?  I am also doing an on-line photography diploma - so could crossing a border be for educational purposes if I do some photography? 
 Edited to say:
Sorry - this is in the wrong part of the forum - please ignore or don't reply.

I always used to enjoy a walk around parts of Liverpool. Otterspool Park for instance. Plenty of walks around Formby or what about Royden Park. Not sure why you need hills to have a good walk.

As far as I can see going for a walk is allowed.

Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic.

Van Morrison

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1461 on: 19:58:13, 21/10/20 »
As said at 1459 not the right thread. But thanks for your advice.

Little Foot

« Reply #1462 on: 13:33:29, 25/10/20 »
Just bought a Petzl 350 headlamp from Blacks. They had it on sale at £35 (from £40 I think), but I spotted it online at £26 from somewhere else. They price matched and also knocked 10% off so feel I got a bargain at £23.40. Also bought some cheap carabiners and glow sticks to hang off the ruck sacks in the dark if on roads.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1463 on: 17:12:02, 25/10/20 »
Just bought a Petzl 350 headlamp from Blacks. They had it on sale at £35 (from £40 I think), but I spotted it online at £26 from somewhere else. They price matched and also knocked 10% off so feel I got a bargain at £23.40. Also bought some cheap carabiners and glow sticks to hang off the ruck sacks in the dark if on roads.
The glow sticks remind me of a night hike when in the scouts in the mid 1970s. We were in the south of the Isle of Wight and going cross country. When we were on the road, we had 2 oil lanterns - one green for the front and one red for the rear. I am not sure glow sticks were around then, although the roadside was covered with glow worms.

Little Foot

« Reply #1464 on: 17:38:35, 25/10/20 »
The glow sticks remind me of a night hike when in the scouts in the mid 1970s. We were in the south of the Isle of Wight and going cross country. When we were on the road, we had 2 oil lanterns - one green for the front and one red for the rear. I am not sure glow sticks were around then, although the roadside was covered with glow worms.

Never seen glow worms. The last time my dad picked us up on the 1st stage of the YWW, my son and I had black gear and rucksacks. My dad drove passed us three times while we waved frantically, unable to get a signal on my dying mobile. Hopefully this time, we'll be in the pub when he turns up, but figured we may need something for walking on the roads anyway. I have an Osprey bag, so I can put the rain cover on which should help drivers to see us.

Blacks didn't have anything reflective that I could attach on a permanent basis so had to improvise with these sticks. When I showed them to my son saying he was in charge of them, he did smile, which is about the most I'm going to get from him on this trip.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1465 on: 10:32:45, 27/10/20 »

Just an update - used this pack on my local walk on Sunday - out for around 5 to 6 hours and found the bag extremely comfortable - I do like Osprey.  The bag held waterproof jacket, trousers, sit mat and gloves in the main compartment with room to stuff a couple of other small things in if needed.  The smaller compartment held sandwich (cheese but no pickle = disappointing), and would have held more with ease.  The side pockets are quite stretchy and held a 600ml bottle.  I carried my phone in the other outside pocket.  The belt pockets are quite a reasonable size - one held my small camera, and the other held the handwash and mask with plenty of space to spare.  There is also a stretchy bit on the front to stow a jacket, and the usual stow on the go points for poles.

Edited to say - the pack is obviously slim on the back, so accessing the water bottle on the side of the bag was awkward without removing the pack - something which I can do with the larger 26l pack.  But I am not very bendy anymore, so others may not suffer with this.

Overall, for local day walks, where you don't need mountain paraphernalia - an excellent bag.
« Last Edit: 10:38:39, 27/10/20 by pdstsp »

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1466 on: 10:51:59, 27/10/20 »
I quite often wear a cycling jacket at night to make sure I am seen and not mown down by passing cars. But I also have a reflective thingy which goes over one shoulder and round my waist (like a Sam Browne belt?) Which I got pretty cheaply at a cycle shop. I also have one of those lurid yellow jerkin things which my OH got for about a fiver from Tesco, both very lightweight, when we were a bit paranoid about being visible, both to passing traffic and to rescuers should one of us get lost/injured in the dark. There are very few street lights round here and there have been a few accidents when people have been hit by drivers who never saw them.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1467 on: 13:02:02, 27/10/20 »
Good idea, I have 4 hi-vis vests, a hangover from living in an area where the law required you to have one inside the car for every seat.  I suppose it would be a sensible to get one out now the the fields are too mucky to walk in.
Solvitur Ambulando

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1468 on: 16:37:35, 27/10/20 »
Not exactly the most exciting purchase - Liquid soap flakes: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0020353VG

£4.19 for 750ml that works just as well as Nikwax Techwash as far as I can tell. Washed all my waterproof kit and all working nicely now.

paule

« Reply #1469 on: 17:32:14, 27/10/20 »
Not exactly the most exciting purchase - Liquid soap flakes:

£4.19 for 750ml that works just as well as Nikwax Techwash as far as I can tell. Washed all my waterproof kit and all working nicely now.

Ha, after reading the other thread I just bought one as well.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy