Author Topic: Howden Moors - Howden Dean, Back Tor and Lost Lad  (Read 1423 times)

adalard

• Veteran Member
Morning everyone  :)

I've just published a new blog on a return visit I recently made to Howden Moors. I first walked up there last year, taking in Outer Edge and Margery Hill, and on my way down passed a really large clough that curved away mysteriously into the hillside. I'm not sure what the name of this valley is, having it seen described as Howden Dean Clough (after one of the hills at the side of it) and Abbeybrook Clough (after the river running down it) - there doesn't appear to be a name on the map, although oddly all the cloughs that run into it have names.  ???

Anyway, I've been hankering to explore it ever since that original walk and when I finally did it proved to be a real gem of a place with some really fascinating landforms.

Here's a few pictures from the walk:

Image may contain: sky, cloud, tree, mountain, outdoor, nature and water
Derwent Reservoir.

Image may contain: cloud, sky, mountain, grass, outdoor and nature
Howden Dean and Cogman Clough (phone pic).

Image may contain: mountain, sky, cloud, grass, plant, outdoor and nature
Looking back down as we neared the moors.

Image may contain: sky, grass, cloud, mountain, outdoor and nature
Looking back at the clough once we were on Howden Moors.

Image may contain: cloud, sky, mountain, grass, outdoor and nature
Ominous skies over Lost Lad as we returned to Fairholmes (we dodged the rain, happily!).

As always, the full trip report and more pictures are on the blog at:

http://www.occasionallylost.com/2017/10/howden-moors-howden-dean-back-tor-and.html

Cheers,  O0

April

• Veteran Member
Re: Howden Moors - Howden Dean, Back Tor and Lost Lad
« Reply #1 on: 12:24:11, 05/10/17 »
Great write up and wonderful pictures as usual adalard  O0

I admit I had to google "HP Lovecraft" and "apocryphal"  :-[

The Northumbrian word for clough is cleugh and is pronounced clook. Just thought I would throw that in the mix  ;D

It looks lovely walking country up there, a wonderfully rich landscape  :)
Hate will never win

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:46:12, 05/10/17 »
I always wondered how to pronounce cleuch!

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:39:35, 05/10/17 »
Great photos and TR adalard    :)    I like the winding valleys and enfolding hillsides, the kind of landscape that entices one to explore further

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:36:02, 05/10/17 »
Lovely photos O0   I did that same route (more or less) back in August.  I posted some heather photos from the walk on here if I remember correctly.
Really love that area  8)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Requiem

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:11:47, 05/10/17 »
Locally its called Abbey Brook - its looked after by the National Trust and has had a very chequered recent history, with really destructive works to the footpath turning it into both a quagmire and an eyesore. Thankfully a couple of years of people leaving it the hell alone have done it a world of good. It must have one of my most favourite names for a tributary - Gravy Clough

You get some of the best autumn and winter light stood on the side of Abbey Brook looking ver to Howden Dean or Margery Hill
PT Business: poshpollyprints.co.uk
Twitter: @pollardroy
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/roypollard/
Facebook: Roy Pollard

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 07:26:41, 06/10/17 »
Great pics and write up adalard  O0
I particularly like the back for trig with the lovely cloud formations  :)
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:34:39, 06/10/17 »
Looks an absolute belter! O0
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:00:45, 06/10/17 »
Thanks for the kind comments, everyone - much appreciated!  :) O0

I admit I had to google "HP Lovecraft"...

He's a bit of an acquired taste, I think, and not really my cup of tea. His Cthulhu was the first monster with tentacles that popped into my mind. I'm surprised it wasn't the Flying Spaghetti Monster, considering how often my thoughts turn to, "When's my next meal due?;D

The Northumbrian word for clough is cleugh and is pronounced clook. Just thought I would throw that in the mix  ;D

It looks lovely walking country up there, a wonderfully rich landscape  :)

It is, April - I'm loving exploring this part of it, it's mostly new to me. That's interesting about the Northumbrian version of the word, I'm guessing they must come from the same original.

I like the winding valleys and enfolding hillsides, the kind of landscape that entices one to explore further

That's exactly how I feel too, Dovegirl. If we pass something like that when we travelling, I always look it up on OS Maps when I get home.  :)

I did that same route (more or less) back in August.  I posted some heather photos from the walk on here if I remember correctly.
Really love that area  8)

Me too - and I remember the heather pictures, they were lovely. Must have been wonderful up there.  :)

Locally its called Abbey Brook - its looked after by the National Trust and has had a very chequered recent history, with really destructive works to the footpath turning it into both a quagmire and an eyesore. Thankfully a couple of years of people leaving it the hell alone have done it a world of good. It must have one of my most favourite names for a tributary - Gravy Clough

Thanks for the confirmation of the name, Requiem. The path was pretty decent all the way to the top of the clough, if very narrow in its later stages. I agree, Gravy Clough is a great name!  :)

I particularly like the back for trig with the lovely cloud formations  :)

The skies were very changeable that afternoon - you'd have got some great time lapse footage, I reckon, it was the perfect day for it.  O0

Looks an absolute belter! O0

Yeah, it was a cracking day out, Pleb.  :)

Cheers again, everyone.  :) :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy