Author Topic: Ditch the stove!  (Read 2398 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Ditch the stove!
« Reply #15 on: 09:32:59, 07/07/19 »

Shove them in your armpit an hour before sundown and they'll be lukewarm when you stop.

Yuk!
Think that I'll stick to my oatcakes, smoked sausage and cheese thanks, archaeoroutes  :smiley6600:
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Pitboot

« Reply #16 on: 16:54:21, 07/07/19 »
I've lost count of the times I could not use a stove on my multiple trips OHMS!
You get used to it and it does you no harm.
It's just fuel for the body after all, but taking food you really like that does not need cooking is an intelligent thing to do.
I like cheese and jam on army "biscuits brown" , full of calories and delicious. Which reminds me I must replen my stock of biscuits, thanks Richard! O0

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 17:13:16, 07/07/19 »
Biscuits Brown were a later development IIRC.  We had Biscuits Plain which brought a new depth of meaning to the word "plain" but could they be rendered palatable with the addition of the contents of a tube of condensed milk and a tube of jam.  The order of application depended on the side of the side of the Tamar you were on, but either way it could be done on the march.  I also remember Biscuits AB.  No one knew what the AB stood for but after 24 hrs they rendered the loo paper redundant so we had an idea that the B was for Blocking!
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 17:29:42, 07/07/19 »
I was always told AB stood for Alternative to Bread  O0
Where there's a will ...

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 17:59:03, 07/07/19 »
Is it actually possible to buy Biscuits Brown?

In Orkney we can get "Cabin Biscuits" from Westray Bakery - the modern equivalent of Hard Tack, I suspect, but I like them -
calorie packed belly timber useful for conveying large quantities of delicacies such as jam, pate and cheese to the mouth. And their heavy duty Abernethy Biscuits with caraway seeds are lovely.

We can also get the delightfully named "Fattie Cutties", one pack would keep you alive on an ice floe for a month!
« Last Edit: 18:06:18, 07/07/19 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

zuludog

« Reply #20 on: 19:27:46, 07/07/19 »
Sometimes I watch reviews of military ration packs on YouTube; they are strangely addictive (Who me, a sad old man?)

A comment by one soldier was that if you spread the biscuits with boot polish they make good firelighters

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 19:32:11, 07/07/19 »
I was always told AB stood for Alternative to Bread  O0

I think it was 'Ard B (a word for illegitimate person). The alternative was biscuits Air Bourne, as in thrown straight in the bin.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 20:51:29, 07/07/19 »
Or fill your webbing with them and use them as body armour.
Solvitur Ambulando

Patrick1

« Reply #23 on: 11:31:48, 08/07/19 »
Actually, I take a little meths stove even on a day walk. Even if I have cold food, making and drinking a hot brew when I stop is a real pleasure, and the whole outfit only adds a few hundred grams to my pack. Yes, I could go without the stove, but that moment when the stove's lit, the water's warming and you're forced to sit for a few minutes enjoying the view and anticipating a hot drink is definitely part of the enjoyment for me.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy