Author Topic: Alpkit Kraku - Tiny little stove  (Read 1479 times)

Requiem

• Veteran Member
Alpkit Kraku - Tiny little stove
« on: 13:58:37, 14/01/19 »

Alpkit Kraku by Roy Pollard, on Flickr
I had some cash spare from a few eBay sales, and rather than spend it on junk I've decided to 'refresh' my Stoves - the main one is going to be a Primus ETA Lite and is on its way from a very cheap placed in Germany whilst the one I'm keeping in my car for the odd brew whilst out and about is the Alpkit Kraku

Its tiny- actually smaller than the lighter I use - When it arrived I thought there'd been a mistake and i was missing parts, but its not, it arrives folded up in a tiny little bag, opened with a drawstring to reveal quite a feat of engineering

After a bit of fiddling it unfolds into the usual three pronged stove format - the prongs are quite short but sturdy and made of thick metal which seem very sturdily made

Weightwise.. well let my kitchen scales show the evidence alongside my lighter

Because of the way the connector to the gas bottle is made in such a minimal way its a bit fiddly, but a few extra seconds of patience gets it on
The valve control flips out and is small but easy to control

Easy to light with a standar lighter or flint/steel - When on full blast it kicks out the kind of heat that a MSR Pocket Rocket can create - Very recommended as a backup stove to keep in case something falls off your primary stove when out on a long walk

Roy

PT Business: poshpollyprints.co.uk
Twitter: @pollardroy
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/roypollard/
Facebook: Roy Pollard

fernman

• Veteran Member
Re: Alpkit Kraku - Tiny little stove
« Reply #1 on: 16:05:46, 14/01/19 »
It looks like a "posh" version of the BRS-3000T titanium stove that was available on eBay for about a fiver last year; they're still around but for double that amount now. Weighing 25g, they're extremely powerful, and come in a little drawstring bag like yours.
Great close-up photos, by the way.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:23:27, 14/01/19 »
It looks like a "posh" version of the BRS-3000T titanium stove that was available on eBay for about a fiver last year; they're still around but for double that amount now. Weighing 25g, they're extremely powerful, and come in a little drawstring bag like yours.

I picked up several of those a couple of years ago - there was a price war developing between several suppliers, I bought my 1st one at £2.99 (inc delivery) then when they dropped to £1.99 (inc delivery) I got a couple more, then when they dropped to £0.99 (inc delivery) I got a couple more - well you cannot let that go by can you !!.

Mine weigh in at 45 grams, so presumably stainless steel rather than Titanium. But at 1.5 ounces I'm not worried.
I have tested them and on 'full' power they are between 2.8Kw and 3.0Kw which is identical to the outputs claimed by all the quality brands.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:10:42, 14/01/19 »
I have the Ti eBay version. It's good but it's not great for simmering food as it only heats a little patch on the bottom of the pot. Fine for heating water.

It's also quite sensitive to wind so needs a decent windshield IMO

Very light, reliable and effective

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:01:24, 15/01/19 »

Nice little stove.

All you need now is a windshield - I made one out of a couple of aluminium beer cans held together with paperclips!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:13:20, 15/01/19 »
Hope you have better luck than I had with their Koro stove ;D
In case you don't know...

Don't surround the stove too closely with your windshield it can melt the rubber o ring inside, causing the gas to leak :o
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:42:51, 15/01/19 »
Hope you have better luck than I had with their Koro stove ;D
In case you don't know...

Don't surround the stove too closely with your windshield it can melt the rubber o ring inside, causing the gas to leak :o

I have the Koro. Got it as a gift. I read your experience with it. Hoping mine works out ok.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:54:21, 15/01/19 »

Don't surround the stove too closely - it reflects the heat and causes the gas to expand and has been known to cause the cartridge to explode.
I use a 'poundshop aluminium Turkey tray' cut into an oblong, formed into a 3/4 circle and stands a few inches away from the stove. Keep the wind off but allows the reflected heat to dissipate.

In really cold weather the wind-break can be moved 'inwards' and the additional heat helps keep the gas flowing (as we all know, as gas is used the pressure reduces and the gas inside cools and we get 'ice' on the outside of the cartridge).

The best way is to use a pie dish - keeps the wind off and removes all possibility of reflected heat.

Requiem

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:38:02, 15/01/19 »

The photies were taken with a new mobile phone I got post-Christmas - takes about the best camera-phone ones I've seen - Its a Google Pixel 3

R
PT Business: poshpollyprints.co.uk
Twitter: @pollardroy
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/roypollard/
Facebook: Roy Pollard

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:02:59, 15/01/19 »
You know how they say every backpacking item should be dual-purpose? Well, the back of my rucksack propped on its edge does a reasonable job of keeping the wind off my stove. Providing it's not too close of course.

The photies were taken with a new mobile phone I got post-Christmas - takes about the best camera-phone ones I've seen - Its a Google Pixel 3
Quite impressive. There I was thinking they were taken with an SLR on a tripod with a close-up lens, or maybe a top-end compact!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy