Author Topic: Buckden Pike  (Read 998 times)

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
Buckden Pike
« on: 23:04:21, 30/09/14 »
As this has been the driest September for a century apparently; I thought a return to the bog that is Buckden Pike was in order; just to test the bunions out to see if they would stand the day.
Walked up the ridge from Kettlewell and up past the memorial; then down to Buckden and back along the Dales Way by the river to Kettlewell. Not having a GPS I reckon this is about 11 miles as it took 5 hours with a couple of brief stops. A great half day walk on a lovely calm  afternoon. A well defined path but not a "motorway" other than the sanded bits coming down off the Pike.
If there is a good time to go up Buckden it is now; the driest I have ever seen it.
Of course overconfidence took over and I went base over apex on one of the few muddy sections trying to jog down the slope. Cue much anglo saxon dialectual to the interest only of the sheep and the last two hours steadily dripping mud from my person much to the amusement of the day trippers.
Have a go but take it slow..

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
Re: Buckden Pike
« Reply #1 on: 08:27:52, 01/10/14 »
Nice walk, that!  O0

We did a very similar circuit a while back, but in late winter/early spring.

http://amblesandrambles.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/a-grassington-weekend-day-2.html

Anyway, thanks for the write up and the reminder - we'll have to get back up that way sometime soon: it's been too long!  :D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy