Author Topic: Quieter areas of the Lake District.  (Read 4298 times)

Johnny Thunder

Quieter areas of the Lake District.
« on: 14:36:56, 24/06/20 »
Could anyone please point me in the right direction to some of the quieter parts of the lakes?
I have only ever visited the typical touristy areas. Outside of them I have no experience.

I don't mind if the drive is longer or harder as long as there is parking available for a night or two.

Thank you.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Re: Quieter areas of the Lake District.
« Reply #1 on: 15:35:00, 24/06/20 »
I generally set off walking very early in the morning to avoid the crowds and it works well - though I do come across lots of people ascending when I am descending!  I realise my approach is not to everybody's liking - sometimes I leave home in Liverpool as my kids are getting in - it's strange to eat toast and drink coffee with a person who is dribbling kebab and talking b0##ocks.

The fringes of the park tend to be the quietest, such as the far western fells, the Northern Fells with the exception of Skiddaw and Blencathra, the Southern Fells such as Harter Fell area.  However, it is still possible to have a quiet day out by looking away from the honeypots.  For instance, park at Wasdale Head and turn left to do the Mosedale Fells via Yewbarrow, while 90% of people plod up the main path to Scafell Pike.  The former is, in my opinion, a far better walk, taking in Yewbarrow, Red Pike, Pillar.  Or ascend Skiddaw via Ullock Pike and Carlside to avoid the masses (though you will come across them on the summit if you go in the middle of the day).  A lot of the lower fells are quieter too and give amazing views of the bigger and more famous fells.

I spent a wonderful day exploring Grike, Crag Fell and Lank Rigg a couple of years ago and saw two people in a whole day.  Similarly I walked Pooley Bridge to Patterdale via High Street and saw nobody until I reached High Raise - then met many people as I descended the C2C route to Patterdale.

Johnny Thunder

« Reply #2 on: 16:00:13, 24/06/20 »
That is brilliant. Thank you. I will have a look at all the suggestions.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:55:52, 24/06/20 »
Just been over Bowscale Fell and Bannerdale Crags to the north of Blencathra, only met 3 people on the hill. Plenty of parking at Mungrisdale.

The hills further to the north will be even quieter - see Karl's recent trip report.

Also, don't overlook the hills in the far south west - Black Combe north to Harter Fell - very quiet and outstanding views. And the Howgills.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:58:23, 24/06/20 »
Also have a look at some of the TRs on here - I think you are a wild camper so April and Beefy's reports will probably be useful to you.  They tend to shun the popular areas, as they like to guzzle their wine in quieter areas.

Edited to say - Richard's suggestion re northern fells is spot on - and also back of Skiddaw tends to be quiet too.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:46:55, 24/06/20 »
Also have a look at some of the TRs on here - I think you are a wild camper so April and Beefy's reports will probably be useful to you.  They tend to shun the popular areas, as they like to guzzle their wine in quieter areas.

Edited to say - Richard's suggestion re northern fells is spot on - and also back of Skiddaw tends to be quiet too.
I saw nobody at the back of Skiddaw and very few on Whiteless Pike going up to Grasmoor - admittedly both some years ago. Bad weather is also good for quiet summits. My companion and I were the only people on the summit of Hellvellyn one Easter Saturday in a screaming blizzard.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:48:24, 24/06/20 »
Where we are concerned, quiet is relative, but there are some pockets of the Lakes that are pretty quiet and that most Lakes walkers would regard as deserted by their standards.

Take a look at our Lake District section of backpacks, the quiet ones that spring to mind are the Shap Fells, several Lower Eskdale trips and - especially - the Stainton Fells.

Johnny Thunder

« Reply #7 on: 06:35:40, 25/06/20 »
Thank you for all your recommendations. Plenty for me to research.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 08:59:47, 25/06/20 »
Thank you for all your recommendations. Plenty for me to research.

Another two for your 'quiet list' - Caw and White Pike, south of the Coniston Old Man group. Here's a couple of TR's - you could easily combine these two walks if you are feeling keen. We met a few people in the forest, but not a soul on White Pike itself.

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=39877.0
http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=40450.0

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 16:48:25, 25/06/20 »
As others have said, the north and the west are very quiet. The Loweswater fells, Lank Rigg and Grike, the Whinlatter group, and of course the wild and empty tracts Back O' Skidda.
Nearer to the M6, it's worth exploring the southeast corner beyond Longsleddale towards Shap - lots of Wainwrighht Outlying Fells to bag. You can walk all day even on summer Saturdays and never see a soul.

Skip

Johnny Thunder

« Reply #10 on: 05:49:04, 26/06/20 »
Excellent. I will have a read up on the areas recommended. Thank you.

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 16:25:35, 26/06/20 »
I will have a read up on the areas recommended.

More on the Wainwright Outlying Fells here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Outlying_Fells_of_Lakeland

Skip

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:25:09, 26/06/20 »
More on the Wainwright Outlying Fells here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Outlying_Fells_of_Lakeland

Avoid the Wainwrights and it will be even quieter!  ;)

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:34:11, 26/06/20 »

Avoid the Wainwrights and it will be even quieter!

Bit difficult over the Ralfland, Shap and Banisdale Fells - there are so many of them!  ;)
Skip

Johnny Thunder

« Reply #14 on: 14:57:17, 22/09/20 »
Is overnight parking OK at Mungrisdale and is it honesty box payments or parking meter?

Thank you.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy