Author Topic: Sandstone Trail with kids  (Read 749 times)

ethiophil

Sandstone Trail with kids
« on: 19:42:42, 11/08/20 »
Hi

Looking to do parts of the Sandstone Trail with my 2 eldest (7 and 9) looking to just do them as small day hikes but try to do it in some kind of order. Was thinking maybe do Frodsham to Manley Common sometime this year for starters. Kids are taking an interest in walking but i'm a bit of a novice when it comes to proper trails.

My questions would be, would this be a nice little hike for us, I reckon my kids could walk 4-5 hours with rest stops. Are the waymarks reliable, would I need a map (any good map or guidebooks to recommend) would there be a time of year to avoid or weather conditions to avoid. Would we be passing any cows on this stretch. My plan would be to drive and park up in Frodsham then maybe get a taxi back from Manley. Other options would maybe walk back to Frodsham if not too much walking or maybe walk a bit further than Manley if the kids feel like it.
All help, tips and suggestions welcome

Florence Lamb

Re: Sandstone Trail with kids
« Reply #1 on: 14:27:14, 12/08/20 »
Ethiophil

The Sandstone Trail is 34 miles in length.   Only you will know the ability of your children but  Frodsham to Manley Common is 5.5 miles of moderate walking.  It does have some steepish ascents and decents, there are some narrow paths and caution with children in some parts may be required I would suggest.  I would say stretch from Frodham is probably the most interesting with some stunning views across to Liverpool and the Mersey, plus North Wales, and there are numerous points of interest on this stretch.  It is well waymarked so shouldn't be too many issues there.  OS map Northwich and Delamere Forest would be useful to have - a guidebook wouldn't go amiss, we have Walking Cheshire's Sandstone Trail (Tony Bowerman).  As for cattle, it is Cheshire, there is farmland and so you never know - depends where the farmer puts them at any particular time.  (not had any issues on this particular stretch personally).   
For me I prefer this walk in the Autumn with the changing colours, each Season is different and really it is a matter for you.........

FL

ethiophil

« Reply #2 on: 16:20:50, 12/08/20 »
That's brilliant. Thanks ever so much. Will have a look for the guidebook you mention. When you say there are some narrow paths to be cautious with, with children is this because there are steep drops over the paths?

Cheers

Florence Lamb

« Reply #3 on: 20:12:52, 12/08/20 »
Ethiophil _ yes there are some drops in parts but so long as you are aware then that should be OK.  I'm sure you will all enjoy.  Let us know how you get on.

FL

Zizag

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:50:09, 12/08/20 »
In Frodsham .
You can park your car off the High street .
Near the Bears Paw Pub .
 Start point
Walk towards the Train station ,
Up the B5152  Church street up to Churchfield road on your right take steeped steps to Overton to Belmonte road  up to Beacon hill the mast is a landmark  where you pickup the main well marked

trail downhill to Woodhouse hill
And Snidley moor
Bypass Alvanley cliff to Manley common .
If you carry on the trail to Barnsbridge gate on the Ashton road North of Delamere forest about 8 miles .
You can walk along the road going West .
About another mile to
Hatchmere ,
turn left at the crossroads into Blakemere lane  and there is a bus stop for going back to Frodsham

ethiophil

« Reply #5 on: 21:46:01, 12/08/20 »
Thanks Zizag

ethiophil

« Reply #6 on: 21:49:11, 12/08/20 »
Ethiophil _ yes there are some drops in parts but so long as you are aware then that should be OK.  I'm sure you will all enjoy.  Let us know how you get on.

FL

OK cheers

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy