Author Topic: TR Loadpot and Wether Hills, Wild camp on Steel Knotts Sat 14 to Sun 15 Apr 18  (Read 2141 times)

April

• Veteran Member
We got off the 208 bus at Aira Force so we could take a few photos of the shoreline. We were killing time waiting for the 508 to take us to Pooley Bridge where we were starting our walk proper.

Ullswater from Aira Force pier

Once at Pooley Bridge we walked up to Roehead and toward Moor Divock. We wanted to see the stone circle there and get some shots of it.

Arthurs Pike from the path

Of course when we got there two people were sitting on the stones. I did take a photo but I won't post it on here. We were walking over Loadpot Hill, Wether Hill and hoping to pitch on Steel Knotts so off we popped up the dull trudge to Loadpot Hill. Wainwright described Loadpot Hill as a walk even decrepit walkers can do so we thought this suited us down to the ground.

We stopped for some lunch near the stream from one of the reservoirs. The weather wasn't bad but it was a bit windy as we got higher. It was dry though and we even had some sunshine but the views were a little hazy.

A cairn on the way up, I think this is a boundary stone?

When we got to Loadpot Hill after a 6 mile walk we were dismayed to see two people sitting at the trig point. The couple who were there must have walked a similar distance to get there. I just can't understand why they couldn't offer to move out of the way so we could get some shots. We waited for 6 minutes and they seemed to be making a move so we decided to wait to see if we could get some photos of the trig point and view. They studied their map for an extra few minutes but they did leave eventually so we could get some photos and Beefy got Willo in the air. I was pleased we could get the summit to ourselves for a few minutes, it had been a long dull trudge and we needed the reward. Anyone who is doing Loadpot Hill from Pooley Bridge would be advised to go over Arthurs Pike and Bonscale Pike first.

Beefy on Loadpot Hill

Beefy on Wether Hill

We walked further south west until we came to the second path/groove near the wall that leads down to Fusedale

Patches of snow on the descent to Fusedale

The view from the descent

Steel Knotts in view

It seemed like it was still a long way to go. We had a break near the ruin on Fusedale Beck and got some water for our nights camp. It was lovely sitting in the sun.

Steel Knotts ahead

We were slower now, carrying 3l of water each for the last mile was hard work.

Beefy on Pikewassa the summit of Steel Knotts

Looking back at The Nab

We had a look around for a place to pitch. The wind was forecast to change direction in the evening from south west to south east so we had to make sure we were sheltered from it. We found a place behind a knoll that was ok and got the tent up after setting our water up to filter.

The MSR pitched below Steel Knotts summit

We had our tea and had a rest we were tired, it was the longest walk we have done with camping gear this year.

Beefy and the MSR

Beefy got Willo in the air for a while, then we opened the wine and waited for the sun to go down. It was hazy so we didn't know what it would be like.

The sun going down behind Great Dodd

The sun disappears

A bit of a red glow

Not a bad sunset but we have had better. We'd enjoyed the day, despite the dull trudge up to Loadpot Hill. Day 1 was Pooley Bridge - Roehead - Stone Circle - Loadpot Hill - Wether Hill - Steel Knotts - pitch below the summit. 15.12km with 713m ascent. The distance includes the walk from the main road to Aira Force pier and back.

We had a peaceful night but we awoke to rain and stronger wind buffeting the tent. We weren't looking forward to getting out of the tent. We had our breakfast and packed our gear away and we were lucky. By the time we were ready to put the tent away the rain had stopped.

To avoid the steep routes down Birkie Knott and Steel End we went back over the summit and then doubled back on the path that descends to Martindale.

The Nab and Martindale, not so nice weather today

The path was very muddy and wet and it was hard work keeping on ones feet on the way down

The Old Church with Winter Crag on Beda Fell behind

We took some shots of the old church before we took the lovely lane that leads to Boredale

We were going to catch our bus at Patterdale so were going over the pass at Boredale Hause.

Beefy on the way to Boredale

The sun came out but the wind that was supposed to be coming from the south east was coming from the north west as we walked into the valley. Right in our faces! We said hello to two groups of DofE lads. They were very cheerful and looked like they were enjoying themselves so perhaps they weren't DofE lads!

We had a brew and some food sheltered by a wall near Boredale Head Farm.

On our way again, climbing up to the Boredale pass, what an amazing place this is

We saw some deer above us on the flanks of Place Fell but my photos weren't very good. The wind was so strong at times the camera was being shaken around.

Nearly at the top of the pass

The path is very rough at this point. Thankfully the wind stopped blowing here. It was weird the wind blowing in the wrong direction and then disappearing the higher we got.

A look back at Boredale

Look at the path and the loose stones, awkward to walk on

Beefy at Chapel in the Hause

The weather looked grim on this side of the pass. We dropped down to Rooking, one of our favourite places.

Babby lambs at Rooking

We timed the bus to perfection, just 10 minutes to wait. Our route was Steel Knotts - Martindale Old Church - Boredale Head - Chapel in the Hause - Rooking  - Patterdale. 9.65km with 373m ascent. We had expected to get wet on Sunday so we were lucky to miss the rain. Not a bad weekend and it was good to push ourselves on Saturday with the longer walk and ascent. Roll on next weekend and another one.
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Great pics and TR Ape  O0
Was another excellent weekend, despite the hazy light
Well done 8)
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Lovely report April. Beefy looks like he is so happy he is having a dance after you had put the tent up.

Even areas I'm familiar with I end up having to look up your route as you always mention something/somewhere I didn't know.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
Love the TR, I know these fells pretty well and I agree on the Loadpot hill comment, it is actually rather uninspiring and the fun comes from clearing Arthur's Pike (a great place for a stop on a warm, still day) when you have a good view of the lake and enjoying staying close to the edge where there are a few ruined buildings to explore.

Boredale is certainly lovely though I might have saved the road walking and done the Bannerdale Beck to Angle Tarn route instead, but I'm glad you did as it seems a nice little find!  Well done on getting out and the weather (mostly) holding.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Looks like a good couple of days - the skies certainly cleared on Saturday evening - love the sunset - what a great camping spot.

Paul

photonut

Great pics April.

Must have been worth carrying all that weight in your backpacks for those sunsets - stunning!

April

• Veteran Member
Was another excellent weekend, despite the hazy light

It was pretty good  :)

Lovely report April. Beefy looks like he is so happy he is having a dance after you had put the tent up.

Thanks Ridge. Beefy was pretending to be a stork

Boredale is certainly lovely though I might have saved the road walking and done the Bannerdale Beck to Angle Tarn route instead

Thanks forgotmyoldpassword  :) We had a few routes in mind for going back to Patterdale. Up Bannerdale, Over Beda Fell, Over Place Fell, over Boredale Hause or around the Ullswater shore path from Sandwick. The forecast had been for strong winds and showers so we chose Boredale Hause as the quickest option - and less populated than the shore path   ;D

love the sunset - what a great camping spot.

Thanks pdstsp, it was a good night out  :)

Great pics April.

Thanks photonut  :)
Hate will never win

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
Lovely photos April especially the lambs  O0  Sounded a lovely walk and from the distance on the first day you are fit again, well done. Looked like somebody had been busy planting daffodils around the church.

Regards Keith

April

• Veteran Member
Lovely photos April especially the lambs  O0  Sounded a lovely walk and from the distance on the first day you are fit again, well done. Looked like somebody had been busy planting daffodils around the church.

Thanks WR  :) I am feeling fit again, it has taken a while to get back to where I was before the op last year. The church and grounds look very neat and tidy so someone puts a lot of effort into keeping it like that. The yew tree is 1300 years old apparently.
Hate will never win

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
Enjoyed the photos April    :)    The lambs are adorable!   

karl h

• Veteran Member
 Great Pics and Tr April O0

The yew tree is 1300 years old apparently.

Is that the one Beefy remembers being planted when he was a young lad ? :D

beefy

• Veteran Member

Is that the one Beefy remembers being planted when he was a young lad ? :D
Oi...  :(
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

adalard

• Veteran Member
Excellent write up and pictures as usual, April. Looks like a great trip!  O0

Skip

• Veteran Member
Great TR thanks April. It's good up there innit? :)

...The lambs are adorable!

Don't you mean 'delicious'?
Skip

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy