Author Topic: Planning a trip. SWCP  (Read 4737 times)

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
Planning a trip. SWCP
« on: 09:55:06, 01/05/19 »
I think it's about time I went back to the south west, it's been a few years since I did the bottom bit from Dorset to Lands End, so now I'll do some of the top bit, St Ives to Tintagel, maybe. I won't be walking the whole distance, it's more like a wander to have a look around kind of holiday.

I will be driving, as that's the quickest way to get down there, and I regard driving as part of the holiday, rather than being bored sat in a train. Looking at accommodation at the moment, can't decide whether to base myself about midway, dump the car, and use public transport out and/or back. Or there's the option of doing circular routes as well.

Hotels are pricey, checking places at the moment. There are youth hostels but I would like something a bit more comfortable as a birthday treat. I will take a tent with the option of having a night or two under canvas.

I've got maps and books out of the library, so that's my bed time reading for now.

ilona

Warbler

Re: Planning a trip. SWCP
« Reply #1 on: 11:52:28, 01/05/19 »

That's a good choice of section. There are lots of villages/small towns with b&b's to base yourself between St Ives and Tintagel.   
Personally I'd skip around Newquay though, unless you are into the stag/hen party scene ;) .

When I was doing SWCP, mainly in weekend sections, I also travelled there by car, but mainly used the bus service at the end of each walk, which worked really well.

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:02:57, 01/05/19 »
Thanks Warbler. I've spent the afternoon looking for accommodation. A lot of places don't have the dates available that I want. Looked at YHA, I don't want to share a dorm, and the private rooms are a bit expensive, and self catering, and I want breakfast. I wanted to stay at the Christian Guild hotel at St Ives, but they have a school party in on my week, they are full up. I've sent an email to one that looks promising, waiting for an answer back, might ring them. Now looking at camp sites, £100 for five nights with electric. Good site all facilities, wifi in the lounge, and I sleep very well on the camp bed in my tent. Will keep looking, something will come up.

ilona

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:11:10, 02/05/19 »
What about a caravan?

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:31:01, 02/05/19 »
I was thinking about a caravan, or a pod, or a tent. I need WiFi and electricity for my computer, and would have to go into the recreation room/lounge for that.

I've found a nice B & B, not cheap at £80 per night, but I can afford it. Booked for five nights, owner sounds really nice on the phone. Just outside St Ives, at Carbis Bay. Good for public transport.
https://www.beechwoodcornwall.com/

Can relax now and look forward to my holiday.  :D

ilona

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:02:10, 02/05/19 »
Sounds fab Ilona. When are you off?  Hope you have a great holiday and I'll look forward to some lovely coastal photos when you get back O0

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:06:51, 03/05/19 »

Wow £80 a night, single - £400 for 5 nights B&B - I knew this area was expensive but................ as it's a special birthday enjoy!

It's a lovely coast. The open top bus ride from Land's end to St Ives is a lovely way enable a linear coastal walk, to see the countryside from a higher perspective and can be entertaining watching grockles trying to reverse to let the bus through.

Not so sure about avoiding Newquay - it's quite a cultural experience :o
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Rather be walking

« Reply #7 on: 09:43:42, 03/05/19 »
Wow £80 a night, single
That's about right. Wonderful area, have fun.  :)
Jon.
““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:26:34, 03/05/19 »
£80 a night is expensive, but it's about mid range for that area. Cheaper ones are pubs, some have no parking on site, or no WiFi, or breakfast is extra. Some are not ensuite. Some are also horrendously expensive. I have gone for five nights because some places don't like to book less than three nights, and I didn't want to have to search all over again for another place. Easy option to stay in one place.

It's my birthday treat, I have to spend my money on something. I live very cheaply, out of date food, second hand clothes, etc, so I have money for this.

Best not to say when I'm going, even though I have a house sitter who looks after things for me.

ilona

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:26:59, 03/05/19 »

Best not to say when I'm going, even though I have a house sitter who looks after things for me.

ilona

Ah, of course...I understand Ilona.  O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 14:45:50, 03/05/19 »
ilona

You could always pm dates - perhaps you already have - how else are we going to know when to send those birthday wishes O0 !

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 16:52:08, 03/05/19 »

You could always pm dates - perhaps you already have - how else are we going to know when to send those birthday wishes O0 !

Very kind of you, but I am going away to forget my birthday. I'd rather not be reminded that I am 70. How the bluddy hell did that happen  >:(    :(    ::)    :-\    :o

ilona

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:07:07, 04/05/19 »
Very kind of you, but I am going away to forget my birthday. I'd rather not be reminded that I am 70. How the bluddy hell did that happen  >:(    :(    ::)    :-\    :o 
ilona

Gawd knows - but it does >:(

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 12:18:41, 22/05/19 »
I'm back. I did bits of the SWCP, and other walking. I stayed at Carbis Bay, visited St Ives, Penzance, Hayle, Padstow, Portreath, Wadebridge, and Tintagel. Weather was good, beautiful views, now all I have to do is get the photo's sorted in some kind of order. I made a detour on the return journey to visit an animal sanctuary near Kidderminster. They rescue farm animals. Great holiday.   :D

ilona

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 07:47:15, 23/05/19 »
So - belated happy ?0 birthday - I picked it up on your blog but decided on discretion of the actual date. Glad you had a good trip - would have been nice meet up while you were down this way. I've been enjoying your video memoirs :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy