Author Topic: Walking with dogs, what distances are suitable?  (Read 4749 times)

PatrickJ

Re: Walking with dogs, what distances are suitable?
« Reply #15 on: 19:04:11, 06/09/20 »
George (the Cockapoo) did 7 miles with me this morning, and another 3 this afternoon - didn't show any signs of struggling so I think he should be able to handle the 12 mile charity walk next weekend without a problem (probably better than myself).  It's through the Chilterns so I don't expect any difficult terrain.

cornwallcoastpathdweller

« Reply #16 on: 15:20:52, 07/09/20 »
George (the Cockapoo) did 7 miles with me this morning, and another 3 this afternoon - didn't show any signs of struggling so I think he should be able to handle the 12 mile charity walk next weekend without a problem (probably better than myself).  It's through the Chilterns so I don't expect any difficult terrain.

Sounds good, you will have to let us know how he/you get on.  Im sure he'll manage fine and a few small treats in the pocket will gee him along nicely.
one step then another then another then a bench - please?

Toxicbunny

« Reply #17 on: 17:04:40, 07/09/20 »
I never walk without my dogs. My 2 year old dog we had planned the lyke wake walk this year but that was scuppered due to Covid.
Personally I would build your dog up slowly. I would also invest in some " mushers secret" its a wax in case of sore pads you can buy it on Amazon. Some dogs pads can get sore if they are not use to walking. I have sled dogs so mine are use to it. I always take a dog medical kit when hiking with luecillan and bandages  just incase of a cut etc. Its amazing how much litter and rubbish is being left about on the moors. Personally I would build your dog up with a few walks. I think its too far for a year old dog to walk 12 miles. Dogs grow until they are 18 month old and their bones are not formed properly you don't want to do permanent damage to his bones. My dogs didn't do 12 miles until they were over 18 months old. I have a 9 month old husky too and he's being built up to long walks gradually now. I dont do my long walks with him as hes still growing. Maybe take your dog but carry him some of the way i won't imaging he is that heavy to carry ? My eldest dog walks 20 mile walks and still comes back running round the garden.

PatrickJ

« Reply #18 on: 17:27:05, 07/09/20 »
Good information and advice thank you.

Yes, I've been building the dog up, along with myself, over the past few weeks.   We've done a number of test walks - starting with 3 miles, then a couple or 5s and then 7 yesterday.   We went to meet some family in the park in the afternoon with their dogs and he was desperate to join us and did roughly another 3 in the afternoon.

I'm feeling fairly confident he can handle it.  Not keen to carry him - a 15kg lump isn't that heavy but not something I want to lug around for hours.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 07:54:34, 08/09/20 »
Can I suggest that you google 'Puppy/dog Growth Plates'.
You will see that it is perhaps surprisingly late 12-20 months depending on the size of the dog before the growth plates on the bone ends are completely formed. this can be even later if the dog has been neutered too early, before puberty, due to the loss of hormones before growing is finished.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 08:06:34, 08/09/20 »
One of my Springer Spaniels (at the age of 3) completed the Lyke Wake Walk with me, we arrived home and he crashed out in front of the fire.  I'd left something in the car by accident so picked up the car keys to retrieve it, the dog heard them and shot to the back door thinking it was time for another walk. :D

That's springers for you!  :D
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Rivingtonboots

« Reply #21 on: 08:11:22, 08/09/20 »

That's springers for you!  :D
Dogs can go from dead to the world to alert at the sound of the treat tin opening  ;D

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 09:21:46, 08/09/20 »
The word "biscuit" has miraculous restorative powers!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

PatrickJ

« Reply #23 on: 12:49:58, 08/09/20 »
Can I suggest that you google 'Puppy/dog Growth Plates'.
You will see that it is perhaps surprisingly late 12-20 months depending on the size of the dog before the growth plates on the bone ends are completely formed. this can be even later if the dog has been neutered too early, before puberty, due to the loss of hormones before growing is finished.

So I did Google this and it has changed my mind about taking the dog on the walk this weekend, that coupled with the fact that he'd need to be kept on a lead the whole time.   So I guess I'll leave him at home :(

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 17:43:59, 08/09/20 »
Our Border Terrier is sadly retired from really big walks - he's 13. He's done 4-5 miles recently but is, forgive the pun, dog tired afterwards. He started to struggle on rockier walks, whether that was his pads hurting or arthritis in his joints we don't know. He got carried a couple of times. He always needed a bit of assistance with big steps be they up or down. He struggles to get on the sofa now unless you're eating a biscuit when he's like a rat up a drainpipe.

I realise none of that helps the OP - would just echo what others have said. I guess it's the same as humans - don't take a dog or a human on a 20 mile walk if they've never walked more than 2 or 3 miles. The dogs won't moan as much though. Breed is clearly important - Border Terriers were bred to keep up with a hunt, so much larger hounds and horses. He'd go on 15 mile walks with me and probably do about 25 as he was constantly racing ahead then doubling back to see where I'd got to. I used to take a collapsible water bowl for him, he was happy to share my sandwiches so a few treats stuck in a pocket was all I needed.

cornwallcoastpathdweller

« Reply #25 on: 17:50:55, 08/09/20 »
i bought my sister a Pitpat for her birthday earlier in the year, thought it would be fun to attach to her dog and see how far she actually went in comparrrason to the owner.  Regretably the dog died suddenly so she never used it.

Anybody else got one and compared human distance with dog distance walked? 

cornwallcoastpathdweller

« Reply #27 on: 18:08:38, 08/09/20 »
A single data point here:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3385535/So-s-dog-s-tired-walk-GPS-tracker-reveals-canines-travel-TWICE-far-owners-strolls.html#:~:text=not%20match%20ours.-,',foraged%20in%20the%20open%20heathland.

Twice as far as the owner.

Thats kind of where i was thinking, so a 6 mile walk off the lead, would be the same as a 12 mile walk on the lead.  Just a thought.

My dog looks for the rucksac, if its on my back he stays by my heel cos he knows he's out for a good trek - clever dog is my J Russel.

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 18:43:36, 08/09/20 »
Generally speaking, dogs are hardy creatures and healthy dogs have good stamina. Dogs evolved from wolves and wolf packs range  dozen of miles in a day trotting steadily at 4-5 mph.

Assuming your dog is fully grown and healthy it will probably outwalk you. I've walked up Gable from Honister with a Jack Russel and done a 15 mile circuit of the Sca Fell massif with a Flatcoat Retriever - in both cases the dogs were still full of go when I was flagging.

As an aside, Border Collies seem to be the favoured pooch among hillwalkers. Me, I prefer Patterdale Terriers.
Skip

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 09:16:12, 10/09/20 »

So I did Google this and it has changed my mind about taking the dog on the walk this weekend, that coupled with the fact that he'd need to be kept on a lead the whole time.   So I guess I'll leave him at home :(

Oh dear - in a way I'm sorry that you've made that decision but glad if it helped. It is surprising how long it takes for even small dogs to fully mature. Lots of years of shared walks to come O0
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy