Author Topic: Sunhat choice  (Read 6761 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Sunhat choice
« Reply #15 on: 08:49:11, 23/04/20 »
Best hat I ever had was a Tweed 'Grouse Hat' that I found in a rainstorm on top of Pike O' Blisco, soaked through and already the worse for wear. Finally disintegrated about ten years ago, but served me well on many a walk.

Edit - for winter use I love my Arctic Fox fleece/thinsulate hat (pictured left). Had it for decades, have had to take needle and thread to it once, I think. Hardly a sun hat, though.
« Last Edit: 08:58:27, 23/04/20 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 08:54:20, 23/04/20 »
I thought the idea of the double chin strap was, the front one goes under your chin. The back is for going under your ponytail, whatever they are.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 09:21:05, 23/04/20 »
I thought the idea of the double chin strap was, the front one goes under your chin. The back is for going under your ponytail, whatever they are.
Even without such an appendage, hooking the second strap behind your head stops the hat suddenly disappearing ahead of you or going over your eyeS in the event of a sudden strong posterior zephyr.
I only use it in extremis. It at least gives you a chance to grab the hat.
Solvitur Ambulando

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 09:23:50, 23/04/20 »
Good enough for an Empire

You're taking the pith.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 10:27:38, 23/04/20 »
I know I'm probably wasting my time as you will no doubt ignore the advice offered by everyone having already convinced yourself that you can't justify the expense and will have already decided what to buy before you even asked the question.

FWIW I would also strongly recommend Tilley and bargains can be had if you are prepared to shop around and both new and used examples also appear regularly on eBay.

I have owned both the T3 Cotton Duck and the TH5 Hemp hats for a good few years. Both are pretty much bombproof, easy to care for and will last a lifetime if you look after them.

For the warmer weather I much prefer the TH5 Hemp which I find softer and more comfotable than the T3. I tend to use the T3 Cotton Duck in cooler or wetter weather.

https://www.tilley.com/uk_en/catalog/product/view/id/15013/s/t3-cotton-duck-hat/

https://www.tilley.com/uk_en/catalog/product/view/id/15014/s/t3-wanderer-hat/

https://www.tilley.com/uk_en/catalog/product/view/id/15025/s/th5-hemp-hat/

GoneWest

« Reply #20 on: 10:33:34, 23/04/20 »
I managed to lose two Tilley hats, so I decided to buy something I could better afford to lose and bought a Trekmates Bush Hat. It comes with a headnet (which is nice) stowed in a pocket in the crown. However, I discovered that a 100% plastic headnet, stowed there, defeats the cool properties of the 100% cotton hat, so the net has been evicted, to be packed elsewhere if I ever need it.

Even without such an appendage, hooking the second strap behind your head stops the hat suddenly disappearing ahead of you or going over your eyeS in the event of a sudden strong posterior zephyr.
I only use it in extremis. It at least gives you a chance to grab the hat.
I'm mildly paranoid about hat rigging, as supplied with my current hat, and also with my previous Tilley hats. The chin strap part is a bit of a strangulation risk if, for example, I slip down some slope and the hat takes charge of arresting our joint fall. I always modify the supplied arrangement so that the free ends of the cord are joined under the chin with a spring toggle (not too fierce), so that I can yank the whole thing apart if necessary. Of course, the ends need to be smoothly finished off; no stopper knots!
« Last Edit: 10:45:58, 23/04/20 by GoneWest »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 11:58:21, 23/04/20 »
Thank you for all the comments, I have a Tilley on my list, the Filson Summer Packer and the Sunday Afternoon Ultra Adventure hat.

The Ultra Adventure looks 'interesting' and gets a lot of good reviews, not sure though whether to take it seriously, looks very eccentric?

I'll make my mind up over the next couple of days.

Rigel

« Reply #22 on: 13:46:22, 23/04/20 »
I think you're making a mistake by not buying a cricket hat. The wide brimmed cricket hat  can be worn all year round too. Summer can be endless when wearing the Summer favourite, so long as you're prepared to spend Christmas and New Year in Australia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag8XcMG1EX4

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 13:53:53, 23/04/20 »
The Ultra Adventure looks 'interesting' and gets a lot of good reviews, not sure though whether to take it seriously, looks very eccentric?

Functional, yes. But stylish? The jury is out...

Whatever hat it is that Paul Murton wears in his Scottish Lochs tv series looks very smart.
Bet it wouldn't look like that on me though  :(

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 14:06:20, 23/04/20 »
Whatever hat it is that Paul Murton wears in his Scottish Lochs tv series looks very smart.

I'm pretty sure it's the Tilley TH5 Hemp in Mocha same as I own although he sometimes also wears the Tilley Classic Winter Hat in Harris Tweed.

GoneWest

« Reply #25 on: 14:30:53, 23/04/20 »
My Winter Hat is my one remaining Tilley. I'm trying not to lose that one by indulging my desire, by and large, not to venture far in very cold weather.
It does look good - even on me, I'm told - as long as the ear flaps are not deployed.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 21:11:28, 23/04/20 »
I must admit that I am really drawn to the Sunday Afternoon Ultra Adventure, I'll make my decision tomorrow, or to be more accurate my wife will!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 14:09:01, 25/04/20 »
Update. I decided to buy the Sunday Afternoons Ultra Adventure hat. In the end, my wife pointed out that I do not have 'the right kind of head' for a Tilley and she would not like to think of me going running in one either, it just wouldn't look right!  :)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 14:17:30, 25/04/20 »
Update. I decided to buy the Sunday Afternoons Ultra Adventure hat. In the end, my wife pointed out that I do not have 'the right kind of head' for a Tilley and she would not like to think of me going running in one either, it just wouldn't look right!  :)
   :D :D   Each to his own.  You will look like an escapee from the Marathon des Sables.
Solvitur Ambulando

watershed

« Reply #29 on: 15:28:27, 25/04/20 »
What about the Bubba Gump shrimp company hat :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy