Author Topic: Single skin tents  (Read 2410 times)

astaman

Re: Single skin tents
« Reply #15 on: 08:59:12, 01/07/20 »

And that is the whole point - small synthetic tents get condensation to a greater or lesser extent, but the inner allows this to be managed and kept away from the occupant and their gear.

Yes, this is exactly the point. They all suffer from condensation but an inner tent provides a barrier between the occupant and the moisture. Do you think that the void between the inner tent and the fly is cooler than the inner tent and warmer than the outside thus acting as a barrier lessening the contrast between the temperature on the inside of the inner tent and the outside air? If so then it might help to actually prevent the amount of condensation overall as well as making it easier to live with? Just a thought.

watershed

« Reply #16 on: 10:44:08, 01/07/20 »
interesting discussion.
When I decided to extend my walking to multi day treks.
I went for a 2 man tent with mesh inner, and two side doors.
I got a copper spur 2. being 2 man it gave me plenty of space and appears to have no obvious condensation issues.
possibly the larger size and 2 doors means a bigger area to distribute my breath etc. as I use it as a solo tent.
I am seriously considering up grading to a Notch Li, This is a 1 man tent so I will read Wildwalkings blog with great interest to see how it performs both overall and as far as condensation goes during his Dover Cape Wrath expedition. The reason to change to the Notch Li is even lower weight, Ultra water proof, sturdier in a gale and smaller footprint, to make finding a flat camping site easier.
I would go for the solid roofed Inner with the Notch Li as due to its smaller size I would expect more chance of condensation.
Personally I would not buy a 1 door tent for the same reason.
I have never seriously considered a single skin tent. due to lack of midge protection and their reputation for condensation.

astaman

« Reply #17 on: 11:17:21, 01/07/20 »

I have never seriously considered a single skin tent. due to lack of midge protection and their reputation for condensation.

A lot of them (like Zpacks, etc.) do have mesh inner doors and mesh connecting the bathtub floor to the single skin fly and are midge/mosquito proof. I still wouldn't go for one just because of the condensation issue. If you're wild camping a lot the size of the footprint can be a real concern - especially in the heathery parts of the world.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 11:56:15, 01/07/20 »

Yes, this is exactly the point. They all suffer from condensation but an inner tent provides a barrier between the occupant and the moisture. Do you think that the void between the inner tent and the fly is cooler than the inner tent and warmer than the outside thus acting as a barrier lessening the contrast between the temperature on the inside of the inner tent and the outside air? If so then it might help to actually prevent the amount of condensation overall as well as making it easier to live with? Just a thought.
the inner is almost certainly warmer than the void between the two canvases.
But the inner will almost certainly have a higher humidity level.
Assuming that the inner is a breathable fabric, condensation should only form on the outer.
This may be part of the thinking behind mesh inners. They also give you a physical barrier and a visual warning.
Larger tents should give you less condensation as the ratio between water vapour generation i.e breathing, and air changes i.e drafts, along with larger volume, all work in the right direction.
Condensation in modern housing is an issue, especially timber framed housing. Back in the 70s and 80s, most UK TF housing was done to an American, or Scandinavian spec. This did not work well as the RH levels in the UK are higher, as are the mean temperatures.
It is cured by putting a vapour barrier on the inside and then mechanically controlling the humidity with MVHR.
One of the reasons I think there is room for improvement with tents.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 16:16:43, 01/07/20 »

There's bound to be a small temperature differential between the void and the interior.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

strawy

« Reply #20 on: 17:56:57, 01/07/20 »
Asking this just out of interest.
Those of us who use 1 man tents,would you/have you,ever use/used it without the flysheet ?
I cant in mine as the main pole holds it all up but some tents have the fly fastened over the main structure so the "inner" can stand alone.
It would never do for me,i do like a little privacy,and i certainly wouldnt trust the great british weather.
Would probably solve any condensation problems though  ;)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 18:27:51, 01/07/20 »
Never thought of using just the inner fn a tent, to be honest. Gambling with the British weather!

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 21:38:56, 01/07/20 »
Asking this just out of interest.
Those of us who use 1 man tents,would you/have you,ever use/used it without the flysheet ?
I cant in mine as the main pole holds it all up but some tents have the fly fastened over the main structure so the "inner" can stand alone.
It would never do for me,i do like a little privacy,and i certainly wouldnt trust the great british weather.
Would probably solve any condensation problems though  ;)
Depends how the poles are fitted.
Don't think either of mine allow the inner to be used alone.  One may be able to with simple modifications.  Not really thought about it.

Think for a few seconds more about it, silvered both side would be good in woodland as it would reflect the trees and blend in.

What would be good with a tent is the fly having a normal colour on one side and silvered on the other.  Then, when it is sunny, turn the fly sheet so that it is shiny side out to reflect the sunlight.
I once woke up and thought my tent was on fire it was so hot.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 22:23:22, 01/07/20 »
I cant see a reflective silver tent being very practical it wouldn't blend in with the environment, especially when wild camping, but the idea would be useful in hot weather if pitched in the daytime on a campsite
Our msr tents can pitch just the inner or outer, we pitched one very hot evening with the fly pulled back for ventilation,  but fastened it on properly later on when it cooled down, cant trust the uk weather  :)

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 22:27:25, 01/07/20 »
Anyway, back to single skin tents,
Does anyone own a Zpacks Altaplex or similar, was just wondering if they have the same problem as the tent in the video, regards the condensation "bridging" the mesh and pooling on the floor?

strawy

« Reply #25 on: 00:40:00, 02/07/20 »

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 06:37:56, 02/07/20 »
Anyway back to single skin tents  ::)  ;)

I seem to remember someone posted a photo of an Altaplex on here a while back when they bought it. I don't think they posted about it again though when they'd been out in it. It would be interesting to hear how it coped with the moisture issue.
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 08:01:56, 02/07/20 »
Anyway back to single skin tents  ::) ;)

I seem to remember someone posted a photo of an Altaplex on here a while back when they bought it. I don't think they posted about it again though when they'd been out in it. It would be interesting to hear how it coped with the moisture issue.

Badly. I infer!  :D

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 11:23:26, 02/07/20 »
Anyway back to single skin tents  ::) ;)

Just found this old thread, makes for some entertaining reading  ;D
http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=36678.0

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 13:16:27, 02/07/20 »
Just found this old thread, makes for some entertaining reading  ;D
http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=36678.0

Ah, yes - as soon as I got to the 'windproof' no see um mesh a big smile appeared on my face! Very entertaining.  ;D ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy