Author Topic: Walking Forum meet up in Borrowdale  (Read 4007 times)

jontea

• Veteran Member
Re: Walking Forum meet up in Borrowdale
« Reply #15 on: 15:25:59, 27/04/19 »
This sounds like a cracking idea to me if a few people came. I'd have to get a separate room in the hostel though (or camp), I've been told I snore like a buzz saw. Hopefully there's other walkers closer to my abilities interested.

Rob, if you have an idea of where and what you would be interested in, then put up a meet and see who is interested.
It can always be cancelled if it doesn't work out  ;)
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 17:52:45, 27/04/19 »
Great reports and pictures John, I saved them to read when I had tie to do them justice.
Looks like you had a brilliant time.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 18:16:36, 27/04/19 »

Rob, if you have an idea of where and what you would be interested in, then put up a meet and see who is interested.
It can always be cancelled if it doesn't work out  ;)

I'll think about doing this after I'm done practicing with map and compass. The idea of meeting other people who like a good walk appeals as does meeting the people on here especially those who've helped me a lot.

I like smaller hill walks myself but also like lowland walks. Anywhere in the Lake District I can manage really and ninthace has persuaded me to try walks in other areas.

Catbells maybe? Or something less well-trodden.

Good idea jontea.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 18:30:22, 27/04/19 »
I wouldn't worry about speed too much, Rob, the walk is completed in such a way as not to leave anyone behind.  Everyone is very friendly, it was my first meet, though I knew Lee from a previous meet, and I was made very welcome, I was just disappointed I couldn't do the full weekend due to a prior commitment.

photonut

« Reply #19 on: 00:37:36, 28/04/19 »
Jon,

That is a fantastic write up.... thankfully I am but a mere dot in many of your pics :D

Hope to meet with you (and everyone else for that matter) sometime soon.  You're always welcome to stay at mine for a LD amble if needed.

Rob - I think it's a great idea setting up walks with any members here that wish to participate.  There are some great walks to be had in the Dales too - Fountains Fell, Pen-y-Ghent, Ingleborough, Whernside, Great Whernside, Buckden... the list is endless really :)

Cheers
Lee

PS - Catbells is always busy :(

photonut

« Reply #20 on: 00:50:30, 28/04/19 »
I'll think about doing this after I'm done practicing with map and compass.

...I can't recall anyone getting a map or compass out the other weekend (I think we had more GPS's and tablet maps than the US army!).  With a group it's easier just to go with the flow and get on with it... besides which, we had Dave with us... he never seems to ever get lost!!!
(me - I can get lost walking to my dustbin)
« Last Edit: 00:59:24, 28/04/19 by photonut »

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 01:01:46, 28/04/19 »
...I can't recall anyone getting a map or compass out the other weekend (I think we had more GPS's and tablet maps than the US army!).  With a group it's easier just to go with the flow and get on with it... besides which, we had Dave with us... he never seems to ever get lost!!!

Good to know. I still want to learn all the different techniques before my next proper walk and to practice navigating a couple of routes with map and compass before going back to GPS. I didn't want to bother with it at first until the forum strongly advised I did but now I've started learning it I want to "complete" it. Not saying I wouldn't go to a walk if there was one within my ability I was invited to, but before planning my own one I want to complete the map and compass...

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 08:30:44, 28/04/19 »
Jon,

That is a fantastic write up.... thankfully I am but a mere dot in many of your pics :D

Sorry Lee, you were too far in front most of the time.......Lee the machine  ;D

Hope to meet with you (and everyone else for that matter) sometime soon.  You're always welcome to stay at mine for a LD amble if needed.
Cheers
Lee

That is a very kind offer Lee, thanks  O0

Instagram  jontea62

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 08:36:09, 28/04/19 »
Great reports and pictures John, I saved them to read when I had tie to do them justice.
Looks like you had a brilliant time.

Hope the read is worth the wait Mark  ;D 
But yes we did have a great weekend thanks,  O0

Instagram  jontea62

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 08:37:48, 28/04/19 »
These meets are as much about the time in the hostel in the morning and the pub in the evening as the walking. For me anyway.

I am quite keen on the idea of a meet where we can split up and do two different walks each day to accommodate as many people as possible.

Reminds me of my University Mountaineering Club days; some great times  - and some great friendships forged.

We used to hire a basic hut from another (richer) club or camp as money was too tight for hostels etc. The hut in the Newlands Valley I remember well - some great trips there - and the Swinside Inn!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 08:38:57, 28/04/19 »

I'm really enjoying your write ups jontea. :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 08:46:00, 28/04/19 »
I wouldn't worry about speed too much, Rob, the walk is completed in such a way as not to leave anyone behind.  Everyone is very friendly, it was my first meet, though I knew Lee from a previous meet, and I was made very welcome, I was just disappointed I couldn't do the full weekend due to a prior commitment.

Thanks for those kind comments, Paul. As you say, it is a very friendly and considerate group. Hopefully you can make the next one.  O0

Instagram  jontea62

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 08:48:12, 28/04/19 »
Looks like you had a great time!
I was surprised by the group photo showing the owners of the forum names - in the flesh they all look like normal people  :D

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 09:34:12, 28/04/19 »
Looks like you had a great time!
I was surprised by the group photo showing the owners of the forum names - in the flesh they all look like normal people  :D

Looks can be deceiving.......mad as a box of frogs we are  :crazy2:

Instagram  jontea62

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 00:41:03, 01/05/19 »
Great weekend folks - just the epitome of what this forum is about, really ....... it should be compulsory - three times a year.
Nicely put together Jon - and great photos by all  O0
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy