Author Topic: How far did you walk this January.  (Read 1632 times)

Ray-S

How far did you walk this January.
« on: 11:22:43, 01/02/21 »
Not really big into walking and wouldn't drive any great distance for a walk but like the local fells maybe twice a month. However I treated myself to a gps watch just before Xmas and sort of got addicted. Over 66 now but still working although on furlough at present so have used the time trying to get fit again. I have walked on 19 days this January, all around the local streets in Carlisle except for Catbells on the 3rd with my daughter and her husband.
Grand total of 178.32Km or 110.8miles.  Pleased with that and the best thing is the ache/pain in my right hip at anything over 5Km reduced as time went on and I now able to walk 12Km pain free.
Probably the sort of mileage most of you would do in half the time but it's a start.  
Started off at an average of 10m47s per Km and now down to 9m28s per Km. ( Essentially flat with only gentle gradients )

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
Re: How far did you walk this January.
« Reply #1 on: 11:49:40, 01/02/21 »
In January this year, I did 251.1 miles. Since I've chosen not to go outside during the present lockdown, it was all on our treadmill and included some running. I focused on ascent quite a lot, and climbed 33,590ft. on the treadmill last month.

In January 2020, I walked 330.3 miles. That was before the pandemic, before we bought a treadmill and before I started running, so it was all outdoors walking measured by GPS.

I became addicted when I was given a GPS watch for my 64th birthday - just over four years ago...  ;)

(Edit: I had to use a converter to work out your speed - a touch under 4mph, which is certainly faster than most!  O0 )
« Last Edit: 12:00:48, 01/02/21 by WhitstableDave »
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:33:16, 01/02/21 »
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Ray-S

« Reply #3 on: 13:14:07, 01/02/21 »
see

Mileage 2021 (walkingforum.co.uk)

Add yourself on :)
[/quote

Ooops. Didn't see that. Will add myself. Cheers.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 14:22:50, 01/02/21 »
 O0

I reckon your 110 miles round streets, which is pretty much what I am also stuck with currently, is good going given the miserable weather.
How I long to get onto the coast path, Dartmoor or into woodland again.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:14:01, 01/02/21 »
106 miles and just under 15000ft for Jan 2021.  I don't use GPS to measure it though. So little idea of ave speed.  But I can happily report the two young guys I met at Fur tor over Christmas, were a little surprised when I walked past them. ;)   When I have calculated it, my Ave speed, on the moor, is around 2.7 mph, when I am pushing hard all day.  Totally different around town.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:47:51, 01/02/21 »
I managed 90 miles. But the more lockdown goes on the more I feel as if I am slowing down.  5 miles seems much further than it did a year ago, is anyone else finding that?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:53:31, 01/02/21 »
I managed 90 miles. But the more lockdown goes on the more I feel as if I am slowing down.  5 miles seems much further than it did a year ago, is anyone else finding that?

Yes - 5 miles is a big day right now  :(  Hopefully that will change in the not too far distant future.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:11:00, 01/02/21 »
46 miles for me in January.  Possibly a personal best. 

Islandplodder - I've found the opposite.  Most of my local walks are around 4 miles and I don't feel "done" by the end of them nowadays, plus, I seem to be walking them faster (unintentional).  So much so that I'm looking to walk from home to walks that I usually drive a few miles / 5 or 10 minutes to start.  They're all within a 5 mile radius (self imposed limit) of my house anyway but for the sake of making the most of my daily exercise allowance, might as well walk there from home.  The pathetic semblance of hill fitness that I was developing has vanished though.

I propose the first post-lockdown forum meet to be a brisk stroll round a muddy puddle  :D

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:39:10, 01/02/21 »
No idea what my total is. Got to make do with walks from my house as the police are about locally stopping folk.
Am quite lucky really as there's as much distance as I like by the canal.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Ray-S

« Reply #10 on: 21:50:17, 01/02/21 »

WhitstableDave  That is some going on the treadmill. The one her indoors has in the garage goes up to 10% gradient but I don't think it records height gain. Will have a look at that tomorrow.  I keep the watch on Km so that it shouts my progress more often than when set for metric than on imperial as I like to keep track of my heart rate and pace.

I was surprised at my January total (110 miles) but I am finding that after 1 month my fitness has improved to the point I am unable to get my heart rate high enough to give a training effect. This evening 11.51Km at an average 9m 37s per Km and only 96bpm average. (no hills round here)
So, the plan for February is to do some walking but use the treadmill with a good incline to get my heart rate up as well as the cross trainer to strengthen my quads for when we can get back on the fells.
Fresh air, other than occasionally pounding the streets like tonight, will be out on the bike (or turbo trainer in the garage if cold and wet) as I want to be able to cycle 50 miles easily come summer evenings.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 22:30:31, 01/02/21 »
All my walks in January were from the door and I didn't bother to record the distance, but I go walking every day and am so thankful that through all the lockdowns it's been permitted to go out for exercise.  I'm lucky that in Brighton & Hove and their environs there's a good variety of places to walk.  In the winter I rarely go far out in the countryside anyway, because of the short hours of daylight, and so the current lockdown isn't really impacting on my walking.  But if it were spring or summer it would be a very different matter.

Sevenup

« Reply #12 on: 05:30:09, 02/02/21 »
For January I managed a daily average of 19.9k from 2 January to 1 February walking around Helensburgh. This lockdown has been much harder for me in that I only walk from the door in a circle at the moment. I’ve seen just about every landmark on the local ordnance survey map that I can drag myself to. In normal times I’d use a train more often and walk point to point, allowing a more varied walk.

I have notice that local paths are taking a beating from the heavy use of walkers and mountain bikers. Lots of areas have suffered degradation and paths that were constructed in the past 5 years are beginning to break up. Bits of the local 3 Lochs Way and the John Muir Way around here will need some investment in time, effort and money

Peak

« Reply #13 on: 08:33:18, 02/02/21 »
Sevenup,
Agree with you with regards to paths, my local ones are now much wider & muddier than ever. Pre Covid I could walk several paths for a few hours and hardly see anyone, now it's rare to be alone for more than 15 minutes. It will be interesting to see what happens when people can return to normal.

Sevenup

« Reply #14 on: 08:37:04, 02/02/21 »
There’s a local group that maintains paths but they work on a shoestring. I suspect it’s the same for many other areas. I saw an article on the bbc site that was highlighting damage to crops from walkers avoiding muddy stretches.

It’s good to see more folk walking but it’s going to need investment to maintain access for wheelchair users and other less able people on the more accessible paths round here.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy