Author Topic: Light weight tents  (Read 6088 times)

humansnail

Light weight tents
« on: 18:04:50, 23/02/19 »
 Hello,
I've used a vango banshee for the last 5 years or so and for the price it has been pretty hard to fault.............. except for the weight. At first, I didn't really mind as everything I had was heavy, but the thought of shaving off a kilo is becoming very tempting! However, when looking into lightweight tents it has become a bit of a mine field with many reviews giving conflincting info.
I would be using my tent in three seasons (probably go back to the banshee for the odd winter night w/ good forecast) mainly up high in the lakes,cheviots and scotland.
I was looking at the force ten helium (about £190) online and the terra nove laser competition ( on offer for £230 at cotswolds at the moment). It will just be for me, but I'll go for a 2 man for the extra room. In an ideal world, I'd go for a soulo, akto or tarptent scarp, but £250 is the absolute max I can go so unfortunately they are out of the question :(
I have also looked at some msr offerings but I don't trust my ability to get an inner pitching first tent up quick enough in the rain!
My main worries about lighter tents are to do with condensation (are we talking way more than something like the banshee? I never really had much problem with condensation in that. Do you often wake up with a damp sleeping bag in these kind of tents?) and wind/weather resistance. What kind of wind speed can these sort of tents handle roughly? They look so thin and light it's hard to believe that they could cope with much wind!
If anyone has a laser comp or force 10 helium, I'd love to hear your thoughts on either of those or if anyone could recommend something better in the sub £250 price range, I'd be greatful of any recommendations.
Thanks again,
HS

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Light weight tents
« Reply #1 on: 18:12:00, 23/02/19 »

I doubt that you will have any problems with condensation in a well ventilated double skin tent.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

humansnail

« Reply #2 on: 18:18:23, 23/02/19 »
Thanks Richard, it must have been all of those "drip coffin" posts on here a while back that got me worried.  ;D

Jim Parkin

« Reply #3 on: 18:44:58, 23/02/19 »
I've moved to a treking-pole pyramid because it has more headroom.

zuludog

« Reply #4 on: 08:09:11, 24/02/19 »
Have a look at Naturehike tents

astaman

« Reply #5 on: 09:44:09, 24/02/19 »
I agree with Richard, the tents you are talking about are double skin and shouldn't have any particular problem with condensation. I've used a Helium 100 (the one person version) as a lightweight solo tent for a while now and have been happy with it. I want a new light two person tent for me and my partner to use on walking trips and will be looking into the new Naturehike Chinese clones (if clones they are). As Zuludog suggests.

Stube

« Reply #6 on: 10:58:00, 24/02/19 »
In my experience any silnylon tent suffers from higher condensation than polyester ones - the penalty for the reduced weight.

That said, as long as you have a solid inner your bag stays dry.

I have a laser comp and condensation is mild - say 1 night in 3/4. It's tough compared to the real lightweight tents. I recommend shortening the fly elastics by tying a knot in them to make it easier to get a taut pitch. The 2g pegs are fine for pitching on clay soils.

My current regular tent is a Nordisk Telemark 1 -  lighter, warmer and quicker pitching than the Laser, but fragile (I've repaired it twice) and with serious condensation say 4 nights in 5. The fly is only dry if it's been windy all night. Still my bag stays dry.

I also have a freestanding Naturehike tent. I can't fault the build quality - details tend to be on the robust side rather than saving weight wherever possible. Their designs are US design clones - hence usually all mesh inners and inner first pitching - not ideal for UK conditions, but excellent value for money. I've not used it enough to get an accurate measure of its condensation problems. I'm considering spaying its orange fly to make it more stealthy!

The KAILAS Dragonfly UL has been piquing my interest as a UL summer only tent It's within your budget - particular if you buy during one of their regular 20% off sales.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/KAILAS-Waterproof-Foldable-Camping-Tents-Dragonfly-UL-Double-Layer-Lightweight-Portable-UV-Protection-Windproof-Ventilation-Tent/32965754096.html

One warning the all up weight is about 700 grams according to the US Amazon website - the poles and pegs seem to be omitted from the advertised weight. 

« Last Edit: 16:49:25, 24/02/19 by Stube »

astaman

« Reply #7 on: 11:16:13, 24/02/19 »
I've not used it enough to get an accurate measure of its condensation problems. I'm considering spaying its orange fly to make it more stealthy!

Ouch!!!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 11:19:40, 24/02/19 »
I have a Marmot Pulsar 1P with a mesh inner and its been a great tent for me. I often get condensation on the inner side of the outer cover and over the last 3/4 years have only suffered from the occasional drip onto my sleeping bag. I usually cause a drip when I flick off large slugs that in the night that just love to crawl up the mesh area. Why is that?

I need a new tent, some of my poles were broken two years ago, but I can't find replacements, I too have been looking at Naturehike and fancy the Taga One, I could by two of their tents for the price of my Marmot. I'm also interested in the Wild Country Helm 1, I like the colour for a start, my Marmot is bright orange, for me its greatest failing! As always, I just can't decide!

zuludog

« Reply #9 on: 13:06:15, 24/02/19 »
When you're shopping around for a new tent, pay attention to the specifications and descriptions

The makers know that for backpacking tents we pay a great deal of attention to the weight, and the price of course. So they will do all sorts of tricks to give a false impression of a lower weight

This includes things like only supplying the absolute minimum number of pegs, just enough to get the thing up on a perfectly manicured lawn on a flat calm summer's day
For anything that we might normally expect, like the Lake District in October, they class as 'extreme conditions' and you will need to buy extra pegs, thus increasing the cost & weight. Alternatively pegs may be so small and flimsy as to be virtually useless, but they satisfy the letter of the specification

Other common deceptions include missing out the weight of pegs, bags, guylines, and even poles in the initial descriptions. They will be there somewhere in the fine print, or explained away by statements like 'stripped weight' minimum weight' and so on

I'm sure the makers will make certain that they do not actually do anything illegal, but IMO it is sharp practice

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:37:54, 24/02/19 »
The misuse  of  words also anger me. Why should a superlight tent weigh more than light  tent or an ultralight weigh  more then either.  Not just tents, everything.  Fair comparisons are hard work.

Before I forget, let's not mention the obviously  fake reviews.
« Last Edit: 21:12:08, 24/02/19 by jimbob »
Too little, too late, too bad......

humansnail

« Reply #11 on: 19:34:09, 24/02/19 »

Thank you for all of the feedback/ideas - this has given me lots to think about.  O0 

Re Zuludog - thanks, I have been trying to work out which tents will need better pegs (laser comp and a few others) and adding the weight of the replacement pegs into the total weight etc and generally taking a closer look at the manufacturers specifications/descriptions. O0
« Last Edit: 19:37:48, 24/02/19 by humansnail »

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:21:37, 24/02/19 »
The misuse  of  words also anger me. Why should a superlight tent weigh more than light  tent or abd ultralight weigh  more then either.  Not just tents, everything.  Fair comparisons are hard work.

Before I forget, let's not mention the obviously  fake reviews.

Like the Wild Country Helm 1 that Gunwharfman said 4 posts earlier that he's interested in.
The makers describe this one-man tent as "lightweight" and "ideal for the camper or backpacker looking for a lightweight tent" yet it's weight is given as 1.87kg / 4 lb 2 oz. I wouldn't call that lightweight!!!

And don't get me started about fake reviews. Amazon is awash with them now, all written in poor English in the same gushy, praiseworthy style and probably originating from the country where the goods are made. (Sorry, this belongs in the Small Rant thread.) 

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 20:57:08, 24/02/19 »
Like the Wild Country Helm 1 that Gunwharfman said 4 posts earlier that he's interested in.

The makers describe this one-man tent as "lightweight" and "ideal for the camper or backpacker looking for a lightweight tent" yet it's weight is given as 1.87kg / 4 lb 2 oz. I wouldn't call that lightweight!!!

My Naturehike 'Cloud 2 UP' (large 2-person tent) weighs (all in) 1.6kgs and includes all pegs, poles, guylines, fly sheet, tent AND the extra 'groundsheet/footprint' including peg bag, pole bag and overall bag.
Has an 8000HH rating, silicon flysheet and is very well made.

At 1.87Kg a one-man tent is certainly not 'lightweight'

Maggot

« Reply #14 on: 22:16:47, 24/02/19 »
Just go for a tarp and bivi bag!  Very light, extremely flexible, ultra-stealthy  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy