Author Topic: Tested: Bridgedale waterproof socks (with non-waterproof shoes!)  (Read 1590 times)

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
As I may have mentioned at some point, I'm walking the 2020 London Marathon this weekend.  ;)

The weather forecast is for rain and I've been thinking about the best shoes to wear for 26.2 miles of potentially very wet off-road walking.

My favourite walking shoes for long walks are my Merrell Cham 7 shoes because they really support my arches and the soles seem just right for brisk walking. The problem though, is that they are very non-waterproof - as in, my feet get soaked within minutes of it starting to rain. The water goes straight through the red mesh.

I also have Scarpa and Salomon waterproof (GTX) walking shoes, but they're well used and both pairs will let in water eventually and then take longer to dry out again than the Merrells. And, of course, they're not as good as the Merrells for long distances.

This morning, I had an idea... I've got a pair of Bridgedale waterproof socks (Stormsock Midweight Boot) that I've only worn on one occasion. That was in Scotland and I wore them in my Scarpa Boots on an extremely boggy walk. My feet remained perfectly dry, despite my boots spending a lot of time ankle-deep in water. However, when I took the boots off, I realised they hadn't let in any water during the walk and so the socks hadn't been tested at all!

It was pouring with rain this morning and I wondered what would happen if I wore my waterproof socks in my totally non-waterproof Merrells. So I went for a 10+ mile walk to find out.

I chose a route that wouldn't be unlike the marathon route I've planned - a mixture of good paths and poor ones, and across fields and through woods. The rain didn't let up one bit and the ground was thoroughly soaked, so it was a challenging test for the socks!

Setting off down the farm track... and into the woods:

At times, water was running along the paths and I had to splosh through some areas where the water was ankle-deep...

The result:

I walked in very wet conditions for two-and-a-half hours in meshy shoes in non-stop rain and my feet remained completely dry. The socks work!   O0

The Bridgedales are quite thick and I'd thought that my feet would get too warm, but they didn't. Remarkably, they stayed very comfortable right to the end. The socks do get wet on the outside and my theory is that on a moderate day like today, the cooling effect of a wet outer sock layer in well-ventilated shoes stopped my feet from getting too warm. On top of that, the socks are quite well-cushioned and they really did feel good to walk in.

So I'm sorted for Sunday. I can wear my Merrell shoes whatever the weather!  :)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
That’s sounds interesting...for first time for ages tempted to buy some new kit (didn’t know Bridgedale did waterproof socks.)

Almost hope it rains constantly on your marathon walk, so you can give them a proper test...

Joking aside, good luck for weekend marathon.

BrionyB

That's good to know - I hate getting wet feet on walks and have thought of trying waterproof socks, but wasn't sure they'd really work, or whether they'd be hot and uncomfortable to wear. I'd be interested to know how well they keep their waterproofing after being worn and washed a few times.

Good luck with your marathon  O0

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
Although I've only worn my waterproof Bridgedales twice now, my wife has worn hers many times and they're still working well for her.

Unlike me, she much prefers boots to shoes - whatever the weather. Her boots are Salomon 4D3GTX which, like the two equivalent pairs I had, began to leak badly far too soon after she bought them. My wife likes everything else about the Salomons though, so she wears waterproof socks whenever there's a possibility of a wet walk. In effect, she has boots she likes... and dry feet to boot!

Thanks for the good wishes.  :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
My sister in law, who as an environmental consultant is out in all weathers, swears by her waterproof socks. Not sure what brand, unfortunately, but I do know that they were pricey!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

fernman

• Veteran Member
W. Dave, tell us what they are like after the tenth time you've worn them, or longer.
My personal experience of a certain well-known brand of similar socks is that they don't stay waterproof for many trips.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
W. Dave, tell us what they are like after the tenth time you've worn them, or longer.
My personal experience of a certain well-known brand of similar socks is that they don't stay waterproof for many trips.

:) I did try to address that in Reply #3 above... ^^^  :)

Edit: I've just confirmed with my wife that she's worn her Bridgedale waterproof socks dozens of times. In fact it's raining quite heavily as I write and, following my earlier result, she's about to head out for a 5k run wearing the socks to see how they perform in her running shoes. I'll post the outcome later...

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
And the result is...

...a big success. My wife has just done a 5k+ run in the pouring rain wearing her waterproof socks that she's worn and washed many times before and her feet are completely dry. Her running shoes are not at all waterproof, so it's all down to the socks.  :)

fernman

• Veteran Member
Thank you! I'll be getting some  :) .

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
The original post was about me deciding what footwear I should use for an off-road walking marathon in wet conditions.  :-\

My Scarpa R-Evo boots would have kept my feet completely dry and provided the best grip, but I find boots better suited to plodding than brisk walking.

My Gore-Tex shoes (Scarpa and Salomon) would have let in water eventually and I was worried about getting blisters when my feet got wet (and stayed wet).

So, following the wet walk experiment, I chose to wear my Merrell Cham 7 shoes with the Bridgedale waterproof socks. These are easily my best shoes for walking long distances, but I was still worried that the socks would cause my feet to overheat if the weather improved, so I carried a spare pair of normal socks just in case.

The weather did improve gradually throughout the day and my feet did begin to warm up. But the solution was simple and effective. There were puddles everywhere, so every so often I deliberately walked through one to soak the outside of the socks. My feet stayed dry of course, but there was a very pleasant cooling effect on my feet. And when the socks began to dry and my feet began to warm, I repeated the process.

I have to say that the combination of well-ventilated non-waterproof shoes and waterproof socks has been a revelation!  O0

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
Assuming the socks last and still remain waterproof after many washes your comfort for long distance walks might be further improved by trying one of the following versions lighter weight versions of the Bridgedale Stormsock?

https://www.bridgedale.com/710-090-stormsock-lightweight-ankle

https://www.bridgedale.com/710-089-stormsock-lightweight-boot

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
Assuming the socks last and still remain waterproof after many washes your comfort for long distance walks might be further improved by trying one of the following versions lighter weight versions of the Bridgedale Stormsock?

https://www.bridgedale.com/710-090-stormsock-lightweight-ankle

https://www.bridgedale.com/710-089-stormsock-lightweight-boot

Thanks, I had looked at the alternatives and will certainly be getting a lightweight pair.

(I noticed there were other versions while looking for the correct description of my pair on the Bridgedale website!  :) )

NeilC

• Veteran Member
The original post was about me deciding what footwear I should use for an off-road walking marathon in wet conditions.  :-\

My Scarpa R-Evo boots would have kept my feet completely dry and provided the best grip, but I find boots better suited to plodding than brisk walking.

My Gore-Tex shoes (Scarpa and Salomon) would have let in water eventually and I was worried about getting blisters when my feet got wet (and stayed wet).

So, following the wet walk experiment, I chose to wear my Merrell Cham 7 shoes with the Bridgedale waterproof socks. These are easily my best shoes for walking long distances, but I was still worried that the socks would cause my feet to overheat if the weather improved, so I carried a spare pair of normal socks just in case.

The weather did improve gradually throughout the day and my feet did begin to warm up. But the solution was simple and effective. There were puddles everywhere, so every so often I deliberately walked through one to soak the outside of the socks. My feet stayed dry of course, but there was a very pleasant cooling effect on my feet. And when the socks began to dry and my feet began to warm, I repeated the process.

I have to say that the combination of well-ventilated non-waterproof shoes and waterproof socks has been a revelation!  O0

I wore sandals + Sealskinz for a year or more and found them to be a reasonable combo. The socks did develop leaks after a while though.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy