Author Topic: Waterproof overtrousers or waterproof trousers?  (Read 9827 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Waterproof overtrousers or waterproof trousers?
« Reply #75 on: 13:57:34, 08/05/19 »
There still is one way I can get wet though, walking through long grass or ferns in the morning after a heavy dew or heavy rain. Even with a rain skirt on my knees can get wet, the drag of the grass and ferns can begin to open my skirt but I've solved this by re-using an old cheap pair of waterproof short running gaiters, they cost me about £10 at the time. I've had them for years but have never used them, until this year. I just wrap them around my knees and snap them together, 5 seconds on, 5 seconds off, the bottom edge over my gaiters, the top edge a few inches above my knees. Dry knees every time!

I can even picture two places where I suffered wet knees in the past, walking through long grass between Alston to Garrigill and walking through very wet ferns at the end of Lake Coniston after an overnight and sustained downpour.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #76 on: 14:23:57, 08/05/19 »
gunwharfman what do you do about sweating in your raincoat, especially when you're going uphill? I read before you leave it open, is it really that simple? People used to wander the hills before Gore Tex after all.

I'm currently not very well and keep falling asleep so am not doing much. If I get better before the weather picks up my next walk will show how well my jacket works up hill.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #77 on: 19:49:39, 09/05/19 »
I'm sure I will perspire but as I did with my previous jacket, at the earliest opportunity I open up the zip and let the breeze or wind dry me. That's one of the main reasons why I will never to buy a half zip again. I bought a half zip fleece a few years ago, it works when I stroll to the pub but if I start to perspire it makes me feel really uncomfortable and clammy. I never take it with me when I hike.

I thought today was a classic example of rain, lots of heavy showers and dry in between. I was thinking again as to how many times in the last ten years has it rained for hours on end without a break, I still convinced I can count the days on one hand, or one and a half hands at the most!

It still irks me that I spent £250 on a waterproof jacket when in reality I didn't need to. Oh well, we live and learn!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #78 on: 20:05:23, 09/05/19 »
Now here's a thing GW.  I have a lightweight Wolfskin jacket.  If I unzip it, I get more condensation problems than if I wear it done up.  Presumably because it is warmer inside the liner is too warm for condensation so it breathes as designed.  Regrettably I cannot get my Paramo jacket to work in the same way,
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #79 on: 20:54:49, 09/05/19 »
Now here's a thing GW.  I have a lightweight Wolfskin jacket.  If I unzip it, I get more condensation problems than if I wear it done up.  Presumably because it is warmer inside the liner is too warm for condensation so it breathes as designed.  Regrettably I cannot get my Paramo jacket to work in the same way,

You all talk of these magic breathable fabrics. My jacket is supposedly 10k waterproof/10k breathable. Today I got pretty wet with sweat walking about town in it. The rain had stopped. My jacket wasn't saturated. It made me hot and sweaty. I didn't really notice how wet I was until it got uncomfortably warm. Maybe Gore Tex works better but that's the second 10k/10k jacket I've had that's only good for wearing when it's cold and wet and being hot and wet is slightly better. Not impressed.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #80 on: 07:57:26, 11/05/19 »
Does condensation form on the inside of the jacket, Rob?

I get hot and sweaty pretty quickly if I am walking hard, but no condensation forms on the inside of my waterproof, so it is not to blame.

And what on earth does 10k waterproof/10k breathable mean? I must confess that I have absolutely no idea!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #81 on: 08:46:13, 11/05/19 »
The 10k waterproof refers to hydrostatic head. Don't blame me for the mix of units, but 10k waterproof means if you take a 1"x1" testing tube and put it on the fabric, it would support a column of water 10000mm tall before some was forced through.
10k waterproof equates to a jacket that will cope with light rain for a short period of time. To put that into perspective, Goretex makes products in the 20k-30k range.
« Last Edit: 08:57:25, 11/05/19 by archaeoroutes »
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #82 on: 08:58:12, 11/05/19 »
Thanks, archaeoroutes. I tend to take numbers like this with a pinch of salt, I must confess; as they are from the laboratory rather than the hill!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #83 on: 08:59:37, 11/05/19 »
I should also point out that the breathability tests are all biased to the US market. It is rare for a breathable garment to perform anywhere near its rating in typical British conditions.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #84 on: 09:00:52, 11/05/19 »
Thanks, archaeoroutes. I tend to take numbers like this with a pinch of salt, I must confess; as they are from the laboratory rather than the hill!
Indeed. I've only ever used that number to help make a decision for tent floors - whether me kneeling on it will force the water through is pretty close to the test conditions.
In fact, I'd be likely to go the other way. If a manufacturer boasted about the hydrostatic head in place of things I consider important, I'd instantly be worried there is something else wrong.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #85 on: 10:12:32, 05/08/19 »
Are the Berghaus Stormcloud overtrousers suitable for summer? Nowhere has the Deluge in stock. I'm expecting rain on Wednesday it would be nice to keep my legs dry. The bit where I wear my trousers around as an alternative to my waist is now 44 inches if I remember from last night.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #86 on: 12:24:55, 05/08/19 »
Don't know about Berghaus, but mountain equipment rainfall pants are very elastic in the waist, you may need bracies to hold them up.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #87 on: 12:32:05, 05/08/19 »
Are the Berghaus Stormcloud overtrousers suitable for summer? Nowhere has the Deluge in stock. I'm expecting rain on Wednesday it would be nice to keep my legs dry. The bit where I wear my trousers around as an alternative to my waist is now 44 inches if I remember from last night.
Looking at that forecast I would stay at home and save my money. Poor to moderate visibility, 90% chance of rain, wind 26mph gusting up to 35, possibly 40, route close to your current physical limits.  Save it for a fine day.
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #88 on: 13:25:39, 05/08/19 »
I went to Keswick and bought the Stormcloud overpants after the gym so I hope they're OK. Incidentally gains on the rowing machine, upright bike, lat pulldown, seated row, seated leg curl and leg press (now maxed the machine out) all in one day! Not sure what happened there I got stronger and fitter over the weekend.

Really want to do the walk though  :-\ I've already said I'm going to do it now to a different diet group I'm in where we challenge each other and I've gone and said I'm doing 30,000 steps and 200 floors on Wednesday. Doing that in town would be so boring it's untrue. Suppose I could select another walk and look like a plum if you really think it's a bad idea ninthace and not just challenging - I googled the wind speed and it said it could be double up high so those gusts then could be 60? That's enough to knock you over I think?

I'm going out somewhere Wednesday even if it's a low level walk. A long low level walk would be good so I can still hit the 30,000 steps even if I have to abandon 200 floors for now.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #89 on: 13:38:53, 05/08/19 »
Rob, the forecast I was looking at was for Great Dun Fell so the windspeeds do not need to be adjusted (i hope)
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy