Author Topic: Eagle Crag  (Read 2899 times)

Steve18566

Eagle Crag
« on: 07:25:10, 26/06/18 »
Hi

I'm looking at doing Eagle Crag, Sergeants Crag, Ullscarf, Low Saddle, Great Crag.
I'm terrified of exposure, and my partner isn't keen on scrambling. My question is, how exposed is the climb up Eagle Crag, and how much scrambling.
Would I be better ascending Greenup Gill

April

• Veteran Member
Re: Eagle Crag
« Reply #1 on: 08:34:33, 26/06/18 »
Hi Steve

The direct route up (is it route A in the Wainwright guide?) might be a bit too much if you don't like drops. There are a few to look at when you are the "terraces" up to the summit but they are not sheer drops all the way to the valley. There isn't much scrambling, just a steep bit through the gully up to the terraces. It is always hard to give advice on these things because you may be perfectly ok with it. I'm not that fond of drops because I don't have a good head for heights but I find I can manage the exposure on this route up and actually enjoy doing it. It will be a good time to do this route, the ground is very dry at the moment.

Here are some pics of a few years ago from the route
http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=25565.0
« Last Edit: 08:38:41, 26/06/18 by April »
Hate will never win

photonut

« Reply #2 on: 09:02:14, 26/06/18 »
Hi Steve,

Have a search on youtube for movies that people have made of their trips up Eagle Crag, there are a few good ones that show the route.

Here are a couple that spring to mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6X47MAXFYM

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akCugDo5n-4

It is a really nice fell to do and personally I did not find the scramble difficult or felt that I was on the edge of a ledge exposed to large drops.  The terracing, as April points out, does not give the impression of a drop all the way to the valley floor.  From memory there are two points where there may be any exposure.  The first is scrambling up the gulley to get to the terracing (you need to find the gully too as it is quite difficult to progress to the terracing without it).  The second place is immediately after the scramble there is a narrow'ish ledge to walk along which also slopes a little.  Once over that lot it is a superb route.

You have a nice walk planned, right up until the point of Low Saddle.... after that, oh my goodness.   The area between Low Saddle/ Lords Howe/ Greene Combe is a bit (hmm.. a lot) boggy.  At least it was when I was there (May 2018) - gaiter top deep in gloop  :(   With all the dry weather it is probably a very good time to do this walk.... even Bleaberry Fell to High Seat/ High Tove has been completed recently with dry boots by some members of this forum   ;D 

My advice would be try to find a sensible path/ route across this section of your walk as it will make for a much more enjoyable day out.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll enjoy it  O0
Cheers
Lee

« Last Edit: 09:28:21, 26/06/18 by photonut »

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:50:52, 26/06/18 »
Steve - I did Eagle crag a few years ago in March. I'm terrified of steep drops and don't like scrambling. I used the Greenup gill route. Follow the coast to coast path from Rosthwaite to Greenup gill in the direction of lining crag but not climbing it. Turn right when the river becomes a stream to gain Eagle crag. There was snow when I did it and I think it took 2 hours to gain the summit from the start of the walk. There was nothing technical or exposed on this route and I really enjoyed the walk. Hope this helps, Henry :)

Steve18566

« Reply #4 on: 07:06:51, 27/06/18 »
Many thanks.

It was AW route A I was thinking of, but may go uo Greenup Gill.
'T[size=0px]urn right when the river becomes a stream to gain Eagle crag' - is this obvious - is there a path or is it off piste
[size=0px]

[size=0px]Thanks again all

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:26:11, 27/06/18 »
There isn't a path from the gill. I normally cross it near the sheepfold, it can be quite tricky if there has been a lot of rain. This is not a problem at the minute! Enjoy it which ever way you go up  :)
Hate will never win

photonut

« Reply #6 on: 08:30:31, 27/06/18 »

'Turn right when the river becomes a stream to gain Eagle crag' - is this obvious - is there a path or is it off piste

Steve,

There is a 'well trodden path' along the southeast side of the stone wall..... simply follow the stone wall up the very steep incline which will take you to a stile.  When you are there it is all very obvious - you can't go wrong. 

Cheers
Lee
« Last Edit: 08:37:06, 27/06/18 by photonut »

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:48:06, 27/06/18 »
There is a 'well trodden path' along the southeast side of the stone wall

Where is the stone wall you speak of near the Greenup Gill ascent? There is one that starts near the waterfall below Pounsey Crag - is this the one you mean? That would be an incredibly steep route  :-\

Photonut, I now think you are talking about the start of Route A?  :-\

Steve has said he may do route B instead, there isn't a wall near the gill at the start of the normal route B.

Hate will never win

photonut

« Reply #8 on: 08:49:22, 27/06/18 »
Where is the stone wall you speak of near the Greenup Gill ascent? There is one that starts near the waterfall below Pounsey Crag - is this the one you mean? That would be an incredibly steep route  :-\

Photonut, I now think you are talking about the start of Route A?  :-\

Steve has said he may do route B instead, there isn't a wall near the gill at the start of the normal route B.

Ah ok... mis-understood him as I thought that was route A (despite the mention of Greenup Gill).   Ooops  :-[ 

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 08:52:46, 27/06/18 »
Ah ok... mis-understood him.   Ooops  :-[

;D

You had me thinking I was going bananas  :)
Hate will never win

photonut

« Reply #10 on: 08:59:41, 27/06/18 »
;D

You had me thinking I was going bananas  :)

It's early.... I need more tea :)

photonut

« Reply #11 on: 09:10:58, 27/06/18 »
Steve,

To conclude.... if you go up Greenup.... Follow HenryB and Aprils guidance, not mine :D

If you do elect for Wainwrights route A 'directly' up Eagle Crag, these attachments may help

« Last Edit: 12:11:43, 03/07/18 by Chris »

Steve18566

« Reply #12 on: 13:23:38, 02/07/18 »
We did this in the baking sun on Saturday.

We went up Greenup Gill, and up the steep grass onto Eagle Crag from behind. Along the ridge to Sergeants Crag, and then round below Long Crag to Ullscarf, over Low Saddle to Dock Tarn and Great Crag.

11.1 miles, 2913 ft ascent.

Exhausting, but dry, and spectacular views. The shower was very welcome at the end

Thanks everyone for the advice, very much appreciated

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 23:21:50, 02/07/18 »
I am pleased you enjoyed your walk Steve  :) It was very hot on Saturday.
Hate will never win

photonut

« Reply #14 on: 08:41:55, 03/07/18 »
Nice one Steve, very pleased to hear you had a nice walk

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy