Author Topic: TR The parks of Carlisle and the search for Pleb's Eden bench Wed 13 Mar 19  (Read 1017 times)

April

• Veteran Member
It was another windy day but it was set to be dry for a few hours so I thought I would try to find Pleb's bench next to the river Eden, near the old power station at Willowholme. I was walking westward along the Hadrians Wall Path from Bitts Park and the wind was right in my face  >:(

A heron near the river

The river level is high

It had been higher overnight but the level had dropped by lunchtime the next day. I bet the residents here were worried, they were flooded (again) here in Dec 15.

The old railway bridge

I passed the old power station and saw the footpath that comes from behind the Cumberland Infirmary join the wall path. Don't go up the steps, said Pleb. I didn't go up them or another set of steps near the footpath junction. No sign of a bench anywhere  :-\

The path underwater

This is the trod I'd thought of when Pleb had mentioned another path. It was underwater so I couldn't investigate it. I wonder if the bench is here somewhere? I was sick of the wind in my face so I turned back toward Bitts Park. I stopped to have my sarnies in Bitts Park in the sunshine, I extended the walk by going over Eden Bridge and into Rickerby Park.

The river Eden is on the right of the shot

The area below the path often has a pool of water so I am not sure if this is from the river overflowing or not

Another heron, this one in Rickerby Park

Flooded fields in Rickerby Park

It looked a bit like Talkin Tarn! I carried on along the road through the park toward the war memorial. I hadn't realised before that there is a road through the park, I've always walked on the path next to river. A few days after this photo was taken the river level increased again and a taxi with a family of four in had to be rescued from the flooded road!

Flood water around the war memorial in Rickerby Park

The path to the footbridge from the war memorial was flooded so I walked around it and retraced my steps back to Eden Bridge.

Eden Bridge Gardens

I didn't find Pleb's bench but I'd had a nice walk despite the wind and I got home before it started raining. The route was Carlisle Bus Station - Bitts Park - Hadrians Wall path - Old Railway Bridge to Stainton - Bitts Park - Eden Bridge Gardens - Rickerby Park War Memorial - Eden Bridge - Carlisle Bus Station 12.9km with 30m ascent.

I await pleb telling me I was nowhere near his bleddy bench  ;D
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Great pics Ape O0
Love the heron shots 8)
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

pleb

• Veteran Member
From pic 3 go down to the base of the stone arch, walk along with river on right. Probly 50-100 yards. Would have been well underwater, thats why I was suprised to see it (from the higher path).
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

April

• Veteran Member
Thanks beefy  O0

From pic 3 go down to the base of the stone arch, walk along with river on right. Probly 50-100 yards.

I've never noticed this path before then. The next time we are there we will go and have lunch on your bench  :)
Hate will never win

adalard

• Veteran Member
Looks like a nice walk, April - those heron photos are great!  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy