Author Topic: TR Haydon Bridge to Hexham Sun 17 Mar 19  (Read 1154 times)

April

• Veteran Member
TR Haydon Bridge to Hexham Sun 17 Mar 19
« on: 21:05:06, 19/03/19 »
No TR from Saturday this week, the weather was rather wet and I only took one pic, this one of the River Greta from Fitz Park, getting alarmingly close to the riverside buildings. Thankfully the river level has gone down now.

We walked about four miles in total with half time spent in Mrs F's eating cake and drinking tea. The vegan chocolate cake is just as lovely as their other cakes  :) 

We were too late up on Sunday to get to the Lakes so we got the bus to Haydon Bridge and we would end up in Hexham. We have done this walk a few times but not for a while . I thought it was about 10 miles at the most from what I remembered.

The view from the climb up to The Tofts

It wasn't a bad day, very windy but we had blue sky and sunshine

Beefy and Squeaky on the lane from The Tofts

Babby Lambs

On the byeway to Lanefoot

The view from the byeway

It was very windy here and it seemed to get worse as we descended along the byeway.
We stopped for some lunch sheltering behind a wall. We 'd only been walking for an hour and 15 minutes but there was shelter here, we might not get any further on.

The byeway from our lunch stop

More babby lambs near Newbrough

We were getting a bit tired on the climb up to Prudhamstone House, there are lots of ups and downs on this walk. The rain started falling as we were on another climb, up to the Laverick Plantation. It didn't last long however and the views that had disappeared were seen again once the clag lifted.

We did get a few rainbows

Beefy and Squeaky on the path alongside the Laverick Plantation

The view from the Laverick Plantation

Squeaky could have a run about off the lead once we got to the park at Hexham. She tired quicker than normal with the long walk we'd done.
We got to Hexham and sat in the waiting room at the bus station for our bus, resting our tired legs. I measured the walk at home. 19.8km and about 400m ascent. No wonder we were tired, I must check these walks properly because my memory is useless these days, it was over 12 miles not 10!. The route was Haydon Bridge - The Tofts - Page Croft - Byeway by Fell House - Lanefoot - Stonecroft - Newbrough Hall - Prudamstone House - Whinny Hill - Laverick Plantation - Bridge End - Riverside path to Hexham.
Hate will never win

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
Re: TR Haydon Bridge to Hexham Sun 17 Mar 19
« Reply #1 on: 23:11:35, 19/03/19 »
That looks a grand walk with some excellent photos. Shame about the wind, but better out than in - as they say  ::)  .. Walking I mean.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:25:52, 20/03/19 »
Lovely pics, looks a good walk particularly in the wind.
The Youth Hostel must have been worried that they were going to be flooded again.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:38:59, 20/03/19 »
Very nice photos April and lovely to see the lambs    :)

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:34:14, 21/03/19 »
Hope Lady was on the lead round the lambs! Very cute. :)
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:19:42, 21/03/19 »
Shame about the wind, but better out than in - as they say  ::)

;D

The Youth Hostel must have been worried that they were going to be flooded again.

Yes they must have been. We've not had much rain this week so the river levels have gone right down again.

Thanks Dovegirl  O0

@ Pleb - Squeaky was on the lead of course, although I don't think she took much notice of the lambs or ewes.
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:28:06, 21/03/19 »
great pics Ape O0
heres a video of the river

https://youtu.be/xhh7-Vo9yYo
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 07:20:14, 23/03/19 »
You'd never guess it was so windy from the pictures - looks like a balmy spring day out with those blue skies and the lambs. Enjoyed the pictures, looks like a good route with some fine views.  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy