Author Topic: TR - Howgills from Sedbergh  (Read 7283 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
TR - Howgills from Sedbergh
« on: 18:07:24, 05/03/20 »
Winder, Arant Haw, Calders, The Calf - 04/03/2020

We took advantage of some good weather this week to go for a walk in the Howgills, only a 45 minute drive to our starting point in Sedbergh. Plenty of free parking on the side road near the cemetery on the west side of town.

We cut up onto the hill using a useful short path that runs beside the Spar shop, and a permissive path to Lockbank Farm, after which we were on open land. A track zig-zags pleasingly up onto the slopes of Winder (473m), views of the town unfolding behind us in the morning sunlight. We followed this track, which climbs across the face of the hill, before taking a more direct route up steep grassy slopes to the summit. The sun was warm, and I realised that I was rather over-dressed in my fibre pile salopettes - I soon got a sweat on!

Sedbergh

Winder is a modest hill, but the summit is an excellent viewpoint.  Sunlit Wild Boar Fell and Swarth Fell looked particularly fine to the east, and we could see into the Yorkshire Dales to the south east. The view west towards the Lake District was spoilt by haze and clouds on the fell tops, though - we had made a good decision in heading east. Arant Haw (605m) dominated the view to the NE, our next port of call.

Winder summit - Arant Haw to the left, Wild Boar Fell and Swarth Fell in the distance

Arant Haw ahead, Fell Head to the left

The walk along the broad grassy ridge was very pleasant, warm sunshine and skylarks - and a buzzard. It was a bit of a slog up to the summit of Arant Haw, but nothing too demanding. Once again, the views were magnificent, but we could see cloudier weather creeping in from the SW.

South from Arant Haw. Calf Top in the distance, Winder in the foreground to the right.

Calders ahead, Bram Rigg Top and The Calf to the left.

There was some snow on the northern slopes that Tess, our spaniel, delighted in rolling in - I was so hot that I decided to join her!

We walked northwards towards Calders, the ground to the west dropping away steeply to a lovely isolated valley.

Looking west, Fell Top to the right.

More snow as we climbed the zig-zag path to the top of Calders (674m), where we stopped for lunch, a brief stop as the sun had faded and a cool breeze had sprung up.

The view southwards towards Arant Haw from Calders

North towards The Calf

Tough feral ponies

The Calf trig point, looking north

After an easy walk across the moors to The Calf (676m), the path skirting Bram Rigg Top, we doubled back and took a path that traversed the steep northern slopes of Bram Rigg Top - so steep in fact that we took great care on the snow covered path. We descended the west ridge down to Bram Rigg Beck, which was troublesome to cross. The valley above looked very enticing, and is probably rarely visited. The weather was starting to improve again, a watery sun making an appearance. The views back up to the fells were lovely; bracken covered rounded hills.

The way down - we descended the ridge to the left

Bram Rigg Beck, with Bram Rigg Top and Calders beyond

White Fell Head, The Calf, Bram Rigg Head and Calders above bracken covered slopes. We descended the ridge.

Fell Head to the north

The track, now a decent farm track, traversed around the shoulder of a ridge, before dropping down through farmland to meet the minor road that runs down the eastern side of the Lune Valley. This took us back to Sedbergh, primroses and daffodils, newly laid hedges, and some new born lambs.

10 miles total, an excellent short day out on hills that have a special feel to them - the Howgills really are quite unique.

Route on Viewranger HERE
« Last Edit: 07:32:39, 06/03/20 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

April

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - Howgills from Sedbergh
« Reply #1 on: 05:23:03, 06/03/20 »
Fab pics and report Richard  O0

I'm still chuckling at you rolling in the snow  :)

I have never been to the Howgills. It is on our list for this year now  :)
Hate will never win

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:25:56, 06/03/20 »
A great day there, even blue sky and a bit of snow  O0

the Howgills really are quite unique.

Yes, unique as a gruelling test for leg muscles in our experience!. We found the relentless grassy ups and downs far more tiring than anything in the rocky mountains.

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:52:57, 06/03/20 »
Lovely pics once again Richard O0
But please can we have no more pictures of you rolling around.  Remember the fells are for miserable grind and exertion not the place for having fun ;D

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:23:11, 06/03/20 »

I you are looking for a wild camping location try the Bowderdale valley, an absolutely unspoiled valley - not even a stone wall in sight.  You can easily tie it in with a trip to the Calf and then carry on along the ridges to drop down to Tebay
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:57:25, 06/03/20 »

Thanks April. I'm surprised that you haven't been to the Howgills - they are lovely hills sitting on the border between the craggy Lakeland Fells and the limestone country of the Yorkshire Dales, yet with a unique feel to them. A look at the OS map reveals how corrugated, steep and complex they are. You will not be disappointed.

Ninthace's suggestion of a Bowderdale wild camp looks like a good one, although I haven't been there myself, and Langdale to the west looks even more remote. The Bram Rigg Beck valley that I mentioned is also very appealing, although no guarantees of a decent pitch higher up the valley!

… and at 58, I'm still not too old to play the fool! Some would say that it comes naturally......

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:35:25, 06/03/20 »
One of the things that makes the Howgills fun is for a lot of the time you are walking on whale-backs which can make the navigation interesting.  You can see the hills across the valleys but very little of the hill you are on.  There are also quite a lot of faint shepherd tracks that are not on the map.  This can make route finding challenging once you get away from the honeypot areas of the Sedbergh and Cautley Spout routes up to the Calf.
If anyone likes a steep climb, try Yarlside from almost any direction but especially from the east or west.
Solvitur Ambulando

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 15:52:54, 06/03/20 »
Great pics but I don't want to be thinking about you in sweaty salopettes when I've just had my lunch thanks.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 15:57:02, 06/03/20 »
A great day there, even blue sky and a bit of snow  O0

Yes, unique as a gruelling test for leg muscles in our experience!. We found the relentless grassy ups and downs far more tiring than anything in the rocky mountains.

Yes, unrelentingly steep in places. But living in Grange-over-Sands is good training for the leg muscles!

The snowy traverse across the north face of Bram Rigg Top was 'interesting', to say the least - the ground is particularly steep there, and it is a convex slope.

« Last Edit: 16:01:30, 06/03/20 by richardh1905 »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 15:58:05, 06/03/20 »
Lovely pics once again Richard O0
But please can we have no more pictures of you rolling around.  Remember the fells are for miserable grind and exertion not the place for having fun ;D

Thanks Karl - sorry for just enjoying the hills - not the done thing in these days of peak bagging and speed records, I know ;)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 15:59:30, 06/03/20 »
One of the things that makes the Howgills fun is for a lot of the time you are walking on whale-backs which can make the navigation interesting.  You can see the hills across the valleys but very little of the hill you are on.  There are also quite a lot of faint shepherd tracks that are not on the map.  This can make route finding challenging once you get away from the honeypot areas of the Sedbergh and Cautley Spout routes up to the Calf.
If anyone likes a steep climb, try Yarlside from almost any direction but especially from the east or west.

Yes, they are an unusually complex group of hills. I will try the northern approaches next time around - it will be new territory for me.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 16:00:13, 06/03/20 »
Great pics but I don't want to be thinking about you in sweaty salopettes when I've just had my lunch thanks.

Thanks Ridge - too much detail, I know.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 14:16:09, 09/03/20 »
Langdale in the northern Howgills looks like an incredible place for a wild camp.

https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=b4530bf0-b310-4e80-8284-2a61cf9dadfb&cp=54.405979~-2.516341&lvl=17&style=h&v=2&sV=2&form=S00027

Looking at bus times to Tebay.....

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:17:55, 09/03/20 »
I'm surprised that you haven't been to the Howgills

I don't think there is any public transport getting there?

Now we have a car we can get there very easily  O0
Hate will never win

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 17:22:17, 09/03/20 »
I don't think there is any public transport getting there?

Now we have a car we can get there very easily  O0
Train to Kirkby Stephen, bus to Tebay, get off en route.  Now you have a car, much easier.  If you look at my routes into the Howgills fom the N, they all start at parking spots.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy