Author Topic: TR - Longsleddale, Gatescarth Pass, Branstree  (Read 2797 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
TR - Longsleddale, Gatescarth Pass, Branstree
« on: 21:43:43, 13/03/20 »
Longsleddale, Gatescarth Pass, Branstree  - 13/03/20

We took advantage of good weather and went for a walk in Longsleddale, climbing Gatescarth Pass and then Branstree (713m), returning by the same route. About 7 miles in total.

This was my first visit to Longsleddale, and I was not disappointed - the upper part of the valley is lovely.

Parking is limited at Sadgill, so be early! We weren't, but managed to squeeze in.

Upper Longsleddale in the morning sunshine

The appealing symmetry of Goat Scar, guarding the western flank of the valley

Looking back down the valley

The young River Sprint in playful mood. We passed a whole series of waterfalls as we climbed.

Looking back from near the top of the pass. Gatescarth Pass is on my mountain bike 'To Do' list.

Weather closing in as we approach the summit of Branstree. Clouds are just skimming Kentmere Pike in the background.

The well built cairn above Artle Crag - a good viewpoint in better weather, no doubt

Tess enjoying the snow - she is tireless!

Harter Fell Crag, with it's prominent gully, with the High Street Range beyond

The view north west from the top of Gatescarth Pass

Waterfall tumbling over Galeforth Brow

A last look back up the valley - weather improving
« Last Edit: 07:25:56, 14/03/20 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

karl h

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - Longsleddale, Gatescarth Pass, Branstree
« Reply #1 on: 10:35:05, 14/03/20 »
Great pics once again Richard O0   Longlseddale is possibly my favourite lakeland valley so visiting it for the the first time would be very special especially on Friday as the weather looked great. Usual weekend service is resumed now though  >:(

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:42:03, 14/03/20 »
Lovely pictures again Richard.
The far eastern Lakes looks like it is becoming your regular walking fix.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:39:52, 14/03/20 »
Great pics once again Richard O0   Longlseddale is possibly my favourite lakeland valley so visiting it for the the first time would be very special especially on Friday as the weather looked great. Usual weekend service is resumed now though  >:(

Thanks karl - it's great to be able to grasp the moment and take advantage of a weather window during the week; early retirement has a lot going for it!

And Longsleddale is a delight - I'm already planning return trips (plural).

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 14:40:46, 14/03/20 »
Lovely pictures again Richard.
The far eastern Lakes looks like it is becoming your regular walking fix.

Thanks Ridge - yes indeed - our most accessible high fells, and quiet too!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:22:49, 14/03/20 »
Meh, flippin' fair weather walker  :P   :D   If only conditions had been like that last Saturday ...

Great photos and write up.  I do love to see a snowy hilltop  O0

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:58:37, 14/03/20 »
Thanks Mel :)

You were unlucky with the weather, to say the least.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:46:41, 14/03/20 »
Stunning, I was there a week before you and it still held an awful lot of snow, seemed to have had a pretty heavy thaw and you even got some sunshine! I was practically sledging down Gatesgarth pass but still a nice day out.

Agree with Karl, it's a bit of a hidden gem and the path down the valley really is endearing, bit of a slog towards the last bit I found however loads of character with the stream gurgling away through the centre of the valley, superb crags and just a really 'far away from it' feel compared to some of the busier spots.  Be warned though, once you head easy of Long Sleddale wellies are definitely recommended I don't think I've survived once with dry feet  ;D

lightweightmick

« Reply #8 on: 23:13:11, 14/03/20 »
Very nice  O0

My C2C route goes through near here, past Stockdale OP Centre heading westward up past Till's Hole enroute for Kentmere - only ever seen the farmer at Till's Hole when I set the dogs off one time and he stuck his head out the window to see what the fuss was about - Postman Pat country this!
Use a smiley ...you know it makes sense

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 07:36:25, 15/03/20 »
Stunning, I was there a week before you and it still held an awful lot of snow, seemed to have had a pretty heavy thaw and you even got some sunshine! I was practically sledging down Gatesgarth pass but still a nice day out.

Yes, absolutely stunning - we timed it right with the weather; for the valley, at least. I got my 'snow fix' a couple of weeks ago on the Kentmere hills :)

Be warned though, once you head easy of Long Sleddale wellies are definitely recommended I don't think I've survived once with dry feet   ;D

We considered descending south from Branstree summit, and picking up the Mosedale path on our return, but decided to leg it down the way we had come up as the weather was looking threatening. Glad that we did - We saw a couple of people picking their way down the Mosedale path as we passed the junction - I say picking, as the ground looked very boggy.

Agree with Karl, it's a bit of a hidden gem and the path down the valley really is endearing, bit of a slog towards the last bit I found however loads of character with the stream gurgling away through the centre of the valley, superb crags and just a really 'far away from it' feel compared to some of the busier spots.

I've got my eye on the bridleway that runs down the western side of the valley - I'll walk or cycle it soon!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 07:44:05, 15/03/20 »
Very nice  O0

My C2C route goes through near here, past Stockdale OP Centre heading westward up past Till's Hole enroute for Kentmere - only ever seen the farmer at Till's Hole when I set the dogs off one time and he stuck his head out the window to see what the fuss was about - Postman Pat country this!

Thanks Mick :)

You certainly are picking an interesting route across the country!

Postman Pat country sums up the valleys well.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 08:30:36, 15/03/20 »
Lovely pics in a great part of the world, and I think you made the right decision in descent. Bet you need waders on the Mosedale path at the moment.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 13:20:21, 15/03/20 »
Thanks pdstsp - I'll save Mosedale for a dry spell in the summer - if I am allowed out!

lightweightmick

« Reply #13 on: 23:55:57, 15/03/20 »

Thanks Mick :)

You certainly are picking an interesting route across the country!

Postman Pat country sums up the valleys well.
O0
My Bike Hike route took me through Greendale (t'other side of A6 and more to to south) so I had occasion to look it up lol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cumbria/content/articles/2006/03/30/cumbriaonfilm_postman_pat_feature.shtml

It was a big favourite when the kids were little... (long time ago!)
Use a smiley ...you know it makes sense

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:38:08, 16/03/20 »
Super pics Richard  O0

It is one of my favourite valleys  :)

The last time we were there we saw an otter and a grass snake in between Tarn Crag and Branstree.
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy