Author Topic: TR 3 nighter from Gatesgarth Fri 6 Sep to Mon 9 Sep 19  (Read 1753 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Sorry, this is a long one, feel free to skip through it  :D

Day 1
We got the Buttermere bus to Gatesgarth on Friday, we were out for 3 nights. It was 2.20, late to do too much but we'd already decided to pitch in Ennerdale, it was going to be too windy to pitch above the Black Sail Pass, our original idea. So we had an easy start, just 3 miles with 380m of ascent and 180m descent on the first day.

Looking back, on the way up to Scarth Gap

It was raining on and off and we hoped we weren't going to be soaked on the first day out.

The welcoming committee at Scarth Gap

Our packs were heavy with 4 days food (and wine  :)) but we had a new tent with us, the MSR Hubba Hubba NX, 1 kg lighter than the MSR Elixir. 

A view of Ennerdale Water on the descent to the valley

Great Gable and Kirk Fell 

The descent was slippery with the rain falling earlier. The rain had stopped so we weren't that wet. This would be the first of a few torturous descents over the long weekend, I much prefer to ascend than descend.

We passed the Black Sail hut and walked across the footbridge and started looking for a pitch out of the wind. Not easy because the ground was saturated but we eventually found a spot near what we called the Ennerdale Matterhorn rock. We got the tent up just in time before the heavens opened.

The Hubba Hubba

It is almost the same as the Elixir. When the rain paused we got some water filtered and had some tea. The rain started again so we didn't bother looking out of the tent at sunset time. We had our wine and went to sleep. The tent seemed to be warm enough and not too draughty.

Day 2
We awoke to a dryer day and we packed up excited for the day ahead, first stop was to be Pillar. Pillar is a grand mountain, the views are wonderful and the route up is entertaining.

Leave no trace

Gear packed and ready to go. There was a bit of cloud on some of the tops.

On the way up to the Black Sail Pass I had to stop a couple of times because my pack was dropping to the right when going up the scrambly bits and it nearly dragged me over a couple of times. I moved a few things around and tightened the straps. We were slow and we were overtaken by a couple of blokes and a woman. We weren't in a hurry, we had all day. We were going to pitch on Yewbarrow later.

Kirk Fell from the Black Sail Pass

We stopped at a tarn to filter some water, this would most likely be the last water source until we descended from Red Pike later. It was really windy and it was a bitterly cold wind too from the north. We had our gloves on and hoods up. Beefy had a bit of a cold and wasn't feeling that great, not the best timing to do this walk, the terrain is rugged and demanding.

Beefy, Squeaky and Pillar    

When the sun was out and when we were sheltered from the wind it was really warm. We were being frozen then roasted!   

High Crag and High Stile 

The cloud had lifted off the tops and we had great views.

Great Gable and Kirk Fell   

Pillar and Black Crag  

We stopped for lunch before we got to the summit, sheltering from the wind behind some rocks. We had an hour sunbathing and taking in the view. 

Yewbarrow from the path up to Pillar summit 

The view to the north and east from the way up Pillar                                           

Beefy and Squeaky on Pillar summit

It wasn't windy up here which was strange, we'd expected it to be as cold and strong as earlier on the exposed part of the ridge.  

Great Gable and Scafells from Pillar summit                         

Scoat Fell and Steeple in view from the descent to Wind Gap

The descent to Wind Gap is loose, eroded and a total pain. I really hate descending these days.

Looking back at Pillar and the descent to Wind Gap

Wind Gap was not windy and the wind from earlier had disappeared. We were running late, it had taken longer to get up and down Pillar and we had left our camping spot 45 minutes later than I'd planned so we omitted Scoat Fell and Steeple out. We can come back to do them another time.

Great Gable and Scafells 

What a lovely view this is 

Heading toward Red Pike

It seemed a long way up but we were at the summit pretty quickly because it was much easier terrain than the route so far.

Beefy and Squeaky on Red Pike summit

On my request the man sitting on the summit kindly moved so I could get this summit shot  O0

The view from Red Pike summit

We moved away from the cairn to take a few shots of the view.

On the way down to Dore Head

Another descent over sometimes loose stones and a few rocky steps. We had got our second wind by now and we were soon down at Dore Head.

On the way up to the col on Yewbarrow from Dore Head

We turned left on a trod off the main path, the way up to the col. We came to another fork in this trod. We took the left fork but we wished later we'd taken the right fork!  

The steep route we took up Yewbarrow  

Some masochist  ;) has cairned this route, up very steep loose scree in places. Much better to use the grass a bit further on, using the right trod we'd ignored, still steep but not quite as steep as this! There are no easy ways up Yewbarrow. I have never wanted to try Stirrup Crag or the Bell Rib ascents, I always use the col.   

The Hubba Hubba on Yewbarrow  

A fine view of the Scafells. We had a wow moment when they came into view, we found a pitch and put up the tent. We were tired and ready to rest. We could see a helicopter hovering over Broad Crag col. A google back at home found someone had injured themselves coming down from Broad Crag, injured their ankle and they had to be winched off. Report from Wasdale Mountain Rescue Team here: https://www.wmrt.org.uk/incidents/broad-crag-col-scafell-pike-sat-7th-sep-2019/

We got some water from a nearby tarn on to filter and had a welcome cuppa. We scoffed our tea and waited for the sunset, we were going to get one, there wasn't much cloud about.

The golden hour on Yewbarrow 

The setting sun lighting up the Scafells 

We had some wine and waited for the sun to set.

It set in between Seatallan and Haycock with enough cloud to defuse the sun                     

Not the best sun set we've had but nice all the same. We had the rest of our wine and got into our sleeping bags. It was going to be the coldest night of the weekend, down to 6 or 7 degrees, we wondered if the Hubba Hubba would keep us warm enough. Day 2 was 6 miles, 980m ascent and 500m descent, it had taken 6 hours walking time! One mile an hour!

Day 3
It had got cold overnight and if we were cold it was because perhaps we should have brought our warmer sleeping bags. The Hubba Hubba so far has impressed, although there is a bit more draught and it isn't as warm as the Elixir, it seems to be going to be warm enough to use until the weather does get colder by the middle of October? We had our breakfast, packed our gear and bagged Yewbarrow summit.  

Beefy and Squeaky on Yewbarrow summit   

It was cloudy today and a bit dull.

The view down to Wasdale from Yewbarrow summit    

I spotted a trod that seemed to lead down to Wasdale Head. I haven't been up or down that route, better to use the route I knew, down to the Over Beck valley even though that isn't a very nice descent.

Looking back at the fellside we had descended

This photo doesn't capture the steepness of this route. Have I mentioned I am not liking descents these days?

Wast Water and another Matterhorn rock

I'd spotted a few triangular rocks over the weekend but hadn't taken photos of them.

Looking back at Bell Rib  

Another Matterhorn shaped rock! We got to Over Beck Bridge and walked along the road to Down in The Dale bridge. The road was busy with cars and it was relief to reach the footpath at the bridge. We stopped for some lunch next to the beck. We were flagging a bit and I had caught Beefy's cold and had a sore throat. We filtered some water for our brews but we should have filtered more. When you are tired you start making mistakes.

On the way up to Sty Head                      

The cloud cleared a little and the sun came out and it warmed up a lot. This was when we realised we needed to have topped up our water during lunch. I was really thirsty when we reached the first water source. Only to find we still had half a bottle of squash to drink! We had a good guzzle and filtered some more water to take with us.

Almost at the top of the pass  

At the bottom it looks a long way but before we knew it we were at the top. There are a few rocky steps that are entertaining to do. I enjoy this ascent but really dislike descending it! 

At Sty Head we turned right on the way to Sprinkling Tarn and Seathwaite Fell. We passed by Sprinkling Tarn and the usual wild campers to find a spot away from the more popular area. We found such a spot near some pools. Seathwaite Fell has a lot of possible pitches I don't know why so many people stop at Sprinkling Tarn, the fell has so much more to offer. 

The Hubba Hubba on Seathwaite Fell  

We were optimistic putting our chairs outside. It was too cold to sit out and we got in the tent. Beefy got some water to filter from a nearby pool and we had a brew and our tea, then opened some wine. 

Hubba Hubba view on Seathwaite Fell                                                                          

We didn't get a sunset , there was too much cloud to the west. It was another good pitch and we enjoyed the camp regardless. Day 3 was 8 miles with 670m ascent and 570m of descent.

Day 4
The wind picked overnight and it started raining. It was still raining and windy when we woke up and we didn't think we were in for a good day going down to Seatoller. We didn't bag Seathwaite Fell summit, it was too windy and wet for us to be bothered. It rained on and off as we descended to Stockley Bridge and I took no photos, I felt really crappy with the cold thing. Another awful descent it is from Sty Head to Stockley Bridge in the wet, sloped pitched stoned paths are lethal in the rain, slick and slippery and every step had to be taken carefully. We caught our bus from Seatoller, we were dry, the rain had stopped and it was a relief not to be leaving puddles on the bus! Day 4 was 5.25 miles with 120m ascent and 550m descent. A grand few days out, shame it was spoiled by our colds. The Hubba Hubba NX is as good a tent as the Elixir in the quality of workmanship and the materials used. It isn't as warm and it is more draughty like we had expected but we are liking the kg less weight...for now! We will be back in the Elixir when the weather does get colder.                                      
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: TR 3 nighter from Gatesgarth Fri 6 Sep to Mon 9 Sep 19
« Reply #1 on: 18:04:37, 10/09/19 »
What a great adventure, 3 Brill nights out in the lakes with fine views
Nice pics Ape O0
Fancy a wc this weekend  ;D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:08:21, 10/09/19 »
Another terrific circuit and clear pics, great pitches again. O0

Seathwaite Fell is one of our favourites too, an abundance of superb pitches and lovely lakes. Yewbarrow too, though the descent to Wasdale Head was pretty awful as I recall, the type of very steep eroded path that they are so fond of paving.

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:10:23, 10/09/19 »
Great Pics April O0
Glad the new tent got an outing

Not sure where you went as I skipped through it ;D

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:43:50, 10/09/19 »
Great report and photos April from an unfamiliar area for me, nice sunset shots O0

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:05:18, 10/09/19 »
Looks as if you had an excellent outing, despite your colds. Glad that the Hubba is living up to expectations.

Lovely shots of Scafell in particular, and that gorgeous 'Golden Hour'...
« Last Edit: 22:06:33, 10/09/19 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:28:04, 10/09/19 »
Looks a great weekend.  Did you buy the new tent just so you could carry an extra litre of wine?

Love those fells.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:37:50, 10/09/19 »
Smashing write up and pics.  Love the sun setting on the Scafells  :)

pdstsp beat me to it on the tent weight -v- wine ratio  ;D   :D

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:13:29, 10/09/19 »
Some lovely pics April and a superb writeup. Wish I could remember all the great places you go... My local geography is shocking. I'll have to make notes of the ones with the prettiest views!

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:17:48, 11/09/19 »
That is a lovely report April I lingered rather than skimmed.
I've just had a grumpy email exchange and reading that has made all the difference to my mood.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:49:06, 11/09/19 »
Fancy a wc this weekend  ;D

:) How about a 2 nighter? Weather looks good  :)

Seathwaite Fell is one of our favourites too, an abundance of superb pitches and lovely lakes.

I hear Sprinkling Tarn is the best place to pitch  ;) Thanks vghikers  :)

Glad the new tent got an outing

It is very like the Elixir, just lighter and a bit more draughty  :)

Not sure where you went as I skipped through it ;D

;D

Great report and photos April from an unfamiliar area for me, nice sunset shots O0

Thanks Henry. If you haven't been up Pillar, it is a fab mountain but it is hard to get to using public transport. The nearest bus stop is Gatesgarth and it means a walk up and down Scarth Gap to get to the bottom of Black Sail Pass in Ennerdale.

Looks as if you had an excellent outing, despite your colds.

Thanks Richard, not the worst colds we have ever had but the timing!!

Did you buy the new tent just so you could carry an extra litre of wine?

;D We didn't as it happens, we wanted the weight saving more  :)

pdstsp beat me to it on the tent weight -v- wine ratio  ;D   :D

;D Thanks Mel

Some lovely pics April and a superb writeup.

Thanks Rob  O0

I've just had a grumpy email exchange and reading that has made all the difference to my mood.

;D Pleased to be of service  :) We are hoping to be out Fri and Sat nights because the weather looks pretty good so there might be another long one on the way next week  :)
Hate will never win

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 09:49:37, 11/09/19 »
The Golden Hour - just beautiful
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 10:16:14, 11/09/19 »
Thanks Jac  O0
Hate will never win

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 12:48:39, 11/09/19 »
Great photos April    :)    Love the golden sunlight
I agree that ascents are often preferable to descents!

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 15:24:00, 11/09/19 »
Enjoy the slightly longer trips, I find that when you do overnighters you don't really get into the 'open space' mentality until the last day, something which seems (at least for me) to come after you've had a full day amongst the fells.

Must admit I was reading your route and did a double take when you mentioned cutting Steeple and Scoat Fell and instead heading for Red Pike, I assumed you were heading via High Beck and on to the Red Pike at Buttermere - so was surprised when you turned up at Dore Head!  :D

Nice to see the tent getting some solid use and well done for Beefy heading out with a cold - some days I truly don't fancy it when feeling under the weather, especially if I know it'll be a heavy pack.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy