Author Topic: Request for easy Lakedistrict fells for very overweight hiker  (Read 27963 times)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Well done Rob  O0 Castle Crag is small but not an easy walk.

Is there public transport to Whinlatter visitors centre? If so you could head up to Lords Seat and/or Barf.

April

• Veteran Member
Is there public transport to Whinlatter visitors centre? If so you could head up to Lords Seat and/or Barf.

Not at the moment, the 77 and 77A are on their winter break. The X4 or X5 (sorry can never remember which one) goes to Thornthwaite and the fells can be accessed from there.
Hate will never win

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Glad you made it.  Hard pull isn't it?

The back muscles of my quads felt somewhat weakened when I got to the bottom. They're fine now though.

Would a crossing of High Rigg be beyond your dignity - not especially high but round one side and back over it from N to S or vice versa?

Don't suppose you have a GPS trace or route?

Yes High Rigg is a fab fell, good suggestion from Ninthace and on the 555 bus route, get off at Thirlmere Dam Road End. You can do a circular walk over the top and down the valley on the St John's in the Vale side.

How will I navigate without a GPS route? There's no paths marked on the OS map that lead over from south to north. I can find one one OpenStreetMap I could plot that as a GPS route I suppose. But what would you do if you were going to do this route April?

Also Sale Fell and or Ling Fell. Get the X4/X5 to Dubwath or Brathay Hill walk up the lane by Routenbeck, footpath a bit further on. Both nice fells to do.

Thank you.

Mel

• Veteran Member
Well done Rob!  Castle Crag's a smashing little hill. 

So is High Rigg (it's my favourite Lake District fell  :smitten: )

Here's a downloadable GPS route from Ordnance Survey:

https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/route/1203541/High-Rigg

If you're partial to a cheese scone then I highly recommend Low Bridge End Farm which you pass very near the end of the walk (if you do it clockwise).   

ninthace

• Veteran Member
I only have one trace for a crossing of High Rigg. It starts at Mel’s Frotress of Solitude and takes in the Castlerigg Stone Circle. I am sure you can adapt something from it. As to there being no paths, remember the little black pecked lines are paths and a glance at GoogleEarth will show you tracks too.

http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/routes/download/?walk=2521
Start at the bottom, go round to St Johns Vale and cut across to cut out the top half.

This trace, not one of mine, starts at Keswick so you could bus out and walk back
http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/routes/download/?walk=1816
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
I only have one trace for a crossing of High Rigg. It starts at Mel’s Frotress of Solitude ..

:D   I remember that walk.  In fact, I believe I still have the laminated map of the route that you gave me  O0

The Fortress of Solitude has all its hatches battened down now ready for a winter snooze.

ninthace

• Veteran Member

:D   I remember that walk.  In fact, I believe I still have the laminated map of the route that you gave me  O0

The Fortress of Solitude has all its hatches battened down now ready for a winter snooze.

I remember it too, a fun day out.  Hang on to the map, it will be worth money when I'm rich and famous.
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Well done Rob!  Castle Crag's a smashing little hill. 

So is High Rigg (it's my favourite Lake District fell  :smitten: )

That's a glowing recommendation. I'm dead curious now.

Here's a downloadable GPS route from Ordnance Survey:

https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/route/1203541/High-Rigg

Thanks Mel. I still wonder how April would have navigated.

If you're partial to a cheese scone then I highly recommend Low Bridge End Farm which you pass very near the end of the walk (if you do it clockwise). 

I am partial to the odd cheese scone. Hope the farm is open, the walkers tea room was shut today in Rosthwaite :(

Ninthace thanks for your traces but I'm too slow to do those in time before it gets dark or the public transport has finished :( To give you some idea my speed up/down Orrest Head was 1.5 mph, Gowbarrow was 1.2 mph and Castle Crag was 1 mph (although this included the flat walk up to it so my actual speed was slower!) I'm slow in both directions but I'm especially slow at descents. I watch people walk away from me descending and I've no idea how they can do it without falling over. My max speed is 3.5 mph and I think my average speed on a flat is between 2 and 3 mph, but closer to 2.

Mel

• Veteran Member
My uphill/downhill speed is about half a mile an hour so you're not doing so bad Rob   O0

At least you have (reasonably) easy access to hills.  I don't  :(

Flat speed locally is about 3mph.

Undulating ground averages at about 1.5 to 2.5mph.

I stop... a LOT ... to get my breath, erm, sorry, admire the scenery  :D    On the plus side, my leg muscles seem to have got more conditioned to steep hills and are usually fine again the next day (as opposed to my first ascent up Catbells when it took me about a week to recover  ;D  )

Can I make a suggestion?  One day in the not too distant future, go back and have another go at your Latrigg route.  See if you find it any easier

(I bet you do  O0 )

Then, your mission, if you decide to accept it, is to tackle Loughrigg  :)

April

• Veteran Member
How will I navigate without a GPS route? There's no paths marked on the OS map that lead over from south to north. I can find one one OpenStreetMap I could plot that as a GPS route I suppose. But what would you do if you were going to do this route April? I still wonder how April would have navigated.

I have done this fell quite a few times and know it very well now. There are some paths marked on the OS map, look for the black dashed lines, the map doesn't show them all though. There is a path on the ground (in fact there are several paths across the fell) all the way across the fell that you can follow, like the one shown in the GPS thing that ninthace has provided. To check routes when I didn't know them I have used websites like David Hall's (no longer available  :(), Wainwright Routes, Sharkey's Dream, Wainwright Walking, they all have maps with the routes on and there are others out there. Also of course, the Wainwright guides were my first port of call and also Mark Richards fellranger guides are also very good to help you discover where the paths are when they aren't marked on the maps.

Hate will never win

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Thanks again April and you also made me realise I could use ninthace's routes without following the whole route, I don't know why I didn't realise this before when ninthace himself said I should cut out the top bit (and adapt something from it)!
« Last Edit: 22:52:15, 05/11/18 by Rob Goes Walking »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Thanks again April and you also made me realise I could use ninthace's routes without following the whole route, I don't know why I didn't realise this before when ninthace himself said I should cut across the top!

Up one side of High Rigg, up between Low Rigg and down across the middle is about 5 miles. 
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
At least you have (reasonably) easy access to hills.  I don't  :( 

Shame. I guess I'm lucky.

Can I make a suggestion?  One day in the not too distant future, go back and have another go at your Latrigg route.  See if you find it any easier

(I bet you do  O0 )

Maybe but I'm liking the adventure of doing new routes right now.

Then, your mission, if you decide to accept it, is to tackle Loughrigg  :)

I will go back to Loughrigg at some point, we have unfinished business!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
I will go back to Loughrigg at some point, we have unfinished business!

I know a route from the Ambleside side that avoids the steps altogether  O0
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Up one side of High Rigg, up between Low Rigg and down across the middle is about 5 miles.
That's fine. If only it wasn't rain predicted for Wednesday  :(  Still it will keep.

I know a route from the Ambleside side that avoids the steps altogether  O0

That's the route I wanted to walk back. If I can't face the steps I'll do it from Ambleside but it would be nice to defeat the steps, I've got more experience walking on stone now and with steep bits.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy