Author Topic: Kinder Log  (Read 1971 times)

Steve18566

Kinder Log
« on: 09:45:18, 03/01/19 »
I've seen reference to a book by T.Nelthorpe called 'Kinder Log'.

Does anyone know the content - is it climbing, walking or just a general book about Kinder Scout?

TIA

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
Re: Kinder Log
« Reply #1 on: 13:17:25, 03/01/19 »
According to Amazon its: "a guide to the principal features in and around Kinder Scout"

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:04:13, 03/01/19 »
So not the consequence of eating a Kinder Egg then :-[
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Steve18566

« Reply #3 on: 14:14:49, 03/01/19 »
According to Amazon its: "a guide to the principal features in and around Kinder Scout"

Yes I've read that, which make me think it could be more for walkers, but just wondered if anyone knew for sure

Steve18566

« Reply #4 on: 14:15:09, 03/01/19 »
So not the consequence of eating a Kinder Egg then :-[
:) :)

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:06:41, 03/01/19 »
:) :)
Of course the group from work I take walking now have a tradition of eating Kinder Eggs whenever we go to Kinder Scout.

Utter Children. Not that I encourge them at all. *cough*
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

ianj37

« Reply #6 on: 15:13:48, 22/01/19 »
Probably because I'm old I actually have a copy of this book. I suppose it's best described as a reference to Kinder and the area around it. There's nothing about climbing in it. Essentially there are three sections - the largest (80 pages) is an A-Z which has a paragraph or two on all the areas, and sometimes people, associated with Kinder starting at Ashop Clough and ending with Youth Hostels. Where a place is described a 6 figure grid ref is given.
Example - "Kinder Gates GR088887 - The gates refer to two large prominent rocks on the Plateau through which the river Kinder flows. The Pennine Way lies between them and it is these two rocks which you are most glad to see  after wandering across the peaty plateau for the best part of an hour. From this point the Kinder Downfall is only about three quarters of a mile away (1km) along the River Kinder".
Then a section on aircraft wrecks on Kinder with a description of where to find then and what happened. Final section is 18 walks on or around Kinder.
I don't think it's the sort of book you'd take out with you but I find it's well worth a browse on occasions. My copy bought in the 80's got very dogeared but I found a copy in a second hand book shop in Scotland! a couple of years ago for £1 - snatched their hand off.
Hope this helps.

Steve18566

« Reply #7 on: 07:22:05, 28/01/19 »
Thanks Ian

Steve18566

« Reply #8 on: 21:22:06, 30/01/19 »
Somebody beat me to purchase this on EBay 😠

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy