Author Topic: SPINE RACE 2019  (Read 27955 times)

tonyk

• Veteran Member
Re: SPINE RACE 2019
« Reply #390 on: 00:34:58, 21/01/19 »
  Jasmin was on Sky News this morning and said she dosen't take any notice of the gender of the runner next to her.They are just another competitor.Personally I think the media have made too much about her being a woman and I am sure she would sooner be called an athlete rather than a nursing mother running in a race.Its not the first time that a woman has beaten men in an ultra,in fact Shelli Gordon did exactly the same thing in the hardmoors 160 in 2015.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #391 on: 09:01:59, 21/01/19 »
While I agree with you Tony, if Eoin had beaten Eugeni and smashed the record then it would have received almost no media coverage. The thing which is perceived as being 'news worthy' is that she is a woman competing in sport against men which happens relatively rarely. Of course the press are not the only people to make a big thing out of her being female and a new mother lots of the posts on here, including some of mine, mention it.

It will be interesting to see if the Spine website is updated to have a course record and a mens record.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #392 on: 09:42:17, 21/01/19 »

It will be interesting to see if the Spine website is updated to have a course record and a mens record.
Not a chance! It would affect revenue as most of the entrants are men.I should imagine they will come to a compromise and have a course record,men's record and women's record.............in that order. ;)

forest view

« Reply #393 on: 13:41:06, 21/01/19 »
To be fair there was a media circus when the first men became midwives. It is just human nature to be interested when something out of the norm happens. It`s not good or bad it just is what happens. I also think that people were just so glad of a terrific human interest story after days of nothing but the` B` thing that it got everyone talking. It dosen`t really matter what or why just that it has people who had never heard of Ultra running, the Spine or the Pennine way taking an interest in something that they knew nothing about and that has to be good for everyone. 
www.forestviewbyrness.co.uk 
# 1 place to stay in Byrness (Tripadvisor)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #394 on: 14:21:21, 21/01/19 »
 O0 O0 O0
Where there's a will ...

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #395 on: 15:20:48, 21/01/19 »
+1  O0 .

Too little, too late, too bad......

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #396 on: 19:54:15, 21/01/19 »
I will continue to think Jasmin was incredible, it is unusual for a woman to beat a man in a physical contest. Jasmin may be used to winning races whatever the gender of the participants in the race but I am not used to seeing or reading about it. I know the conditions weren't that bad this year in regards to deep snow and this contributed to her very fast completion time but she was still 15 hours ahead of second place Eoin Keith who had similar race conditions.

With all the coverage this year in the media there might be more coverage on the telly next year? I hope so  :)
Hate will never win

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #397 on: 20:34:35, 21/01/19 »
It would be nice if more women were inspired to take part in this kind of race after Jasmin's success, as well

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #398 on: 21:17:36, 21/01/19 »

I will continue to think Jasmin was incredible, it is unusual for a woman to beat a man in a physical contest.

Absolutely - Jasmin didn't just break the record, she smashed it. An incredible achievement - and she was still smiling at the end of it.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #399 on: 00:29:23, 22/01/19 »
There was a good interview in the weekend's i newspaper (19-20 January) - page 15 if anyone has a copy.
If not I found an on-line version here;
https://inews.co.uk/sport/jasmin-paris-interview-spine-race-breastfeeding-mum-ultra-marathon-runner/

Richard's comment about Jasmin smashing the record is of course true and the word is used in the old fashioned sense i.e. totally obliterating the previous time.
These days a lot of athletic records are 'smashed' and when you read the detail it often means fractions of a second shaved off or a similar minuscule amount: with the suspicion that attention grabbing phrases used in headlines sells papers.
But 12 hours 'smashed' is just something else. Had it not been for you guys & this post I would have missed it and boy am I glad I didn't and what a time to come in on it. Thanks all   O0
I think and hope, it will be some while before that time is bettered. Mind you, jac said she had the same running shoes .....  :D
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #400 on: 07:54:10, 22/01/19 »
Thanks for posting the link, Innominate. Some 'kick up the bum'!

(the media do seem a bit obsessed with her expressing milk)

Mind you, jac said she had the same running shoes .....  :D

I'll be following jac's dot next January …. :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #401 on: 09:15:34, 22/01/19 »
Mind you, jac said she had the same running shoes .....  :D
I'll be following jac's dot next January …. :)

I'll be sure to wear me bonnet  ;D ;D ;D
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #402 on: 10:10:25, 22/01/19 »

(the media do seem a bit obsessed with her expressing milk)

I did notice the BBC website had one article (possibly Thursday) with a photo of Jasmin sitting on a bench outside one of the pit stops * with the caption " Jasmin Paris expressing ....... "  I do hope it was purely a photo of her in a normal state with reference to her expressing, rather than of her carrying out the task at the time of the photo.
If the latter, it seems a gross invasion of her privacy.

* Re: pit stops - I guess she'll be trying to get them down to around the sub 5 second mark next year (F1 style)   :D
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #403 on: 21:13:22, 22/01/19 »
Not True - with all the flagging a greater proportion of the PW is paved.

Outside of Worcester at the start and Brighton/Shoreham and the finish the only major tarmaced stretches are through Birmingham and Bristol. The late Trevor Anthill who devised the Monarch's Way avoided roads wherever possible, sometimes zig-zaging wildly to do so.

Its use of minor footpaths is what makes navigation difficult in walker hostile counties such as Somerset - often there is no visible route on the ground. Landowners frequently removed all public footpath signs let along named trail waymarking.

The difference as you cross county boundaries can be amazing.

Yes Stube, I got it wrong. I contacted the guy who's tracker I was folloing during the MW Ultra. He sent this reply to my question about the route. Sent via messenger hence the format.

Hi Dave, Sorry for thelate reply. I remember the route as mostly canal, tracks, not that much road as far as i remember. No option to move to road, have to stay on route. It's quite an isolated route, goes near some towns and villages but then turns away before entering. The GPX file is getting better and better and the route markers and maintenance has improved.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #404 on: 21:26:01, 22/01/19 »

I did notice the BBC website had one article (possibly Thursday) with a photo of Jasmin sitting on a bench outside one of the pit stops * with the caption " Jasmin Paris expressing ....... "

One newspaper had her down as pregnant!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy