Author Topic: Walking with an elderly dog  (Read 554 times)

Penny

Walking with an elderly dog
« on: 20:32:21, 14/01/20 »
Hi, my name is Penny and I’ve just signed up to the forum, being a new walker, although my fiancée Terry is more experienced.

We have an elderly but otherwise healthy 13 year old Cocker Spaniel and, very stupidly, it seems that we overdid it slightly on our first walk of the year with him last weekend, which was a little under 5 miles.

Although we’re not looking to walk massive distances, we still don’t want to have to stop altogether because of Dougal, so we’ve been looking at the various doggie carrying options available (backpack and wheeled) but I wondered whether anyone on here could recommend anything to us as we can’t be the only walkers with this problem?!

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
Re: Walking with an elderly dog
« Reply #1 on: 21:12:14, 14/01/20 »
Hi and welcome. I had an elderly dog, smallish terrier type, who couldn't walk very far. I bought a child's push chair from a car boot sale, for £6. It was great, he loved it. He faced forward so he could see everything. We went on days out, put it in the car, walking on tarmac surfaces. Went to the seaside so he could walk on the beach, push him along the Promenade. We went camping for a week down in the south west, slept in the tent. A couple of days out at Whitby, slept in the car. People think it's so cute to see a dog in a push chair.   

ilona

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:26:07, 14/01/20 »
I've seen this in France before. When in the Pyrenees I noticed a few times that rich looking middle-aged to older ladies. wearing very smart clothes and lots of good looking jewellery would be 'promenading' along the main street pushing an expensive-looking 'pram' with a small dog in it. I remember one in particular where the dog was able to view the world through his own drawer curtains attached to the hood of the pram. 'Mum' could open and close them at will.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:09:21, 14/01/20 »
My daughter is a dog walker.  If your Cocker is anything like the ones she walks, it will have gone a lot farther than the 5 miles you walked.  A lead may be all you need.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy