Author Topic: My best pic of the day  (Read 816163 times)

paw42uk

Re: My best pic of the day
« Reply #840 on: 20:35:04, 30/06/12 »
Very good photo of the pansy, what did you use to take it?
Paul.

SouthDowns

• Veteran Member
« Reply #841 on: 07:31:56, 01/07/12 »
Very good photo of the pansy, what did you use to take it?
Paul.

Do you mean my flower shot? Just asking because I don't think it's a pansy :)

If so, thanks :). It was taken from about 2m away using a Sony SLT A65, with Sigma 70 to 300mm zoom in macro mode and at 300mm.
Signature space for rent. Reasonable rates apply.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #842 on: 09:51:13, 01/07/12 »
Is it Stitchwort, it shows a lot of white in along hedgerows now that field herbicide spraying has become more precise, quite a favorite of mine when it first shows at the beginning of summer before the more rampant summer growth of later flowers break it up and overpower its impact. A lovely combination with bluebells.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #843 on: 10:02:43, 01/07/12 »
Me too, though I guess it's not much different to photoshopping a background in!

I can promise mine are real!

I wonder what is acceptable, I am looking for a shot of a kingfisher in flight taken from above. I would like to recreate a moment, some few years ago, when Mrs BWW and were sitting on a river bank with our feet dangling about 4 feet above the surface of the water, when a kingfisher flew right under the soles of a boots.

A momentary glimpse that would have been impossible to capture, but could be recreated in Photoshop. Just need the king fisher shot, still got the boots and legs and I know where the river bank is.
BWW

stratus_cloud

« Reply #844 on: 13:52:01, 13/07/12 »
Thanks Tracey and everyone else. That puffin was clearly after a modelling fee; he stood on a rock about 6 feet from all the long lenses, just sitting there taking direction!

This one was much harder to get; they don't hang about once they're in the air!

20120624-112225.jpg by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

Ahh, puffins  :)  IMHO fantastic photo  :)

AdamBorzy

« Reply #845 on: 09:47:23, 17/07/12 »
Splendid photos. It’s interesting alright how people use photoshop to make their pictures look great but I find it more amazing how others detect those are just a product of photoshop creations. It’s a person’s skill to easily detect fraud I guess because of today’s technology it’s extremely difficult to find out real vs fake pictures without the use of any sophisticated software to analyze or view the information.

SouthDowns

• Veteran Member
« Reply #846 on: 13:25:37, 17/07/12 »
I think it depends on what the image is for, and, again depending on what it's for, the degree of Photoshopping that's done. I have plenty of Photoshopped images in my "portfolio" (ooh, get me!), but would never claim any of those were real.

ALL of the following are perfectly valid:

- An image almost entirely created in photoshop as a piece of art.
- An image enhanced to better convey the feeling the photographer was trying to communicate (you'd be amazed how much just changing the temperature tint of an image can change its feel).
- A completely untouched image used to record a fact.
- A completely untouched image used to demonstrate the photographer's skill with the camera.
- A heavily re-touched image used to demonstrate the photographer's skill with Photoshop.
- An image re-touched to remove a distraction, such as the tourists who refused to move out of the waterfall you were trying to photograph.

About the only thing that's NOT acceptable is claiming an image is what you saw when it's not.

Images have ALWAYS been manipulated, whether in processing, or with filters, or with differing camera settings. The only thing that's changed is the technology used to do it.

My flying puffin shot above is re-touched to remove some other distracting birds; you can't direct birds, and a painter would have simply left them out, so I see nothing wrong with that; it doesn't change the truth of the picture, just makes it nicer to look at.

This one is also re-touched, but it doesn't matter because there's no suggestion it's true; it's ALL about the end result. Can you spot the false bits? ;) :

W16 - Pride 3.jpg by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

By the way, that one is in some ways MORE real than any of the 5 shots that go to make it up, because it tells you what happened over a matter of minutes in a way that an untouched photo never could. It's like a film all compressed into one frame :). It also took more camera skill/knowledge than one that wasn't intended for Photoshop, because in order for it to work I had to pay attention to much more than I normally would.

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #847 on: 13:35:30, 17/07/12 »
How did you get five kids to dress the same for you?  ;D
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

SouthDowns

• Veteran Member
« Reply #848 on: 13:38:05, 17/07/12 »
How did you get five kids to dress the same for you?  ;D

MacDonalds :)

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #849 on: 13:41:42, 17/07/12 »
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

fincaman

« Reply #850 on: 23:45:26, 25/07/12 »
Some great pics here
I am a retired music shop owner,I play Guitar and Ukulele and love walking.I now have walking Holiday lets in Spain www.walkinghollsinspain.com [nofollow]

yorksgal

• Veteran Member
« Reply #851 on: 23:49:39, 25/07/12 »
Excellent  O0

ukjeeper

• Veteran Member
« Reply #852 on: 08:11:00, 26/07/12 »
'Discovered' this hidden gem of a lakeside several years ago, and promptly forgot where it was. Has taken me all this time to accidently find it again. Not a great picture (smartphone), but hopefully it portays what i find special about it.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #853 on: 10:22:25, 26/07/12 »
I can understand from the picture that which you experienced there. The dimensions of the image are neatly wrapped up in the triangle of your 3 points of interest. O0

BWW

Glyders

• Veteran Member
« Reply #854 on: 22:31:50, 26/07/12 »
What a lovely spot Jeeper  O0

Is that in Essex?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy