Author Topic: 65 year old Orkney man tackling North Coast 500  (Read 1531 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member

Running, rather than walking, but something for dot watchers and lovers of the NW Highlands!

http://live.opentracking.co.uk/northcoast500/

William Sichel really is a remarkable man; an inspiration to those of us approaching pensionable age!

https://williamsichel.co.uk/about/
« Last Edit: 16:06:22, 14/04/19 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
Re: 65 year olf Orkney man tackling North Coast 500
« Reply #1 on: 13:16:23, 14/04/19 »
Thanks for that link, William is amazing. An inspiration.

ilona

Slogger

• Veteran Member
Re: 65 year olf Orkney man tackling North Coast 500
« Reply #2 on: 14:21:35, 14/04/19 »
Thanks for the link too. He certainly is naturally adapted for ultra running, obviously strong legs and low body weight. It always makes me wonder how some people find the time to to these kind of things, again and again and find time to work as well. Their circumstances are cleary different to the average working person. I know of a youngish guy who travels throughout Europe and elswhere during the Summer months taking part in ultra's every week, sometimes during the week as well. He is working in IT, and does online coaching, so can do what he needs to do from anywhere he can get internet access.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: 65 year old Orkney man tackling North Coast 500
« Reply #3 on: 16:52:42, 14/04/19 »

He's on a really wild bit of road right now - Applecross to Shieldaig - this was where I was at my lowest ebb when 'competing' in the Bealach na Ba cyclosportive many years ago - and William has to run another 400+ miles!

Disappointing that the tracking website doesn't show the miles covered.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:30:42, 14/04/19 »
He's on a really wild bit of road right now - Applecross to Shieldaig - this was where I was at my lowest ebb when 'competing' in the Bealach na Ba cyclosportive many years ago

But a very beautiful route which I remember driving in 1976, the year the road between Applecross and Shieldaig opened. Before that the only connection to crofts along this 25 miles stretch of coast was by a tiny footpath. For some years afterwards you could still see that little path winding its way through the heather, just one set of feet or hooves wide.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:23:35, 15/04/19 »

I recall camping for a few nights in Applecross around 1990, Jac - a lovely atmosphere to the place, an oasis amongst all the heather moor and rock. I still remember the sun going down over Raasay.

William is at Gruinard Bay now.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy