Author Topic: Rab Alpine Gaiters vs. Rab Latok Gaiters  (Read 5338 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Rab Alpine Gaiters vs. Rab Latok Gaiters
« on: 12:43:46, 08/03/19 »
Can you help me please.

I need to buy a new pair of gaiters. My present ones are Rab Latok, they are well made, comfortable and easy to put on BUT but they have not proved to be waterproof. In your experience are the Rab Alpines any better?

Or should I buy a completely new brand?

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Rab Alpine Gaiters vs. Rab Latok Gaiters
« Reply #1 on: 13:00:00, 08/03/19 »
Aren't they called Latok Alpine?  Mine seem waterproof whatever they are  ;D
Where there's a will ...

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:55:44, 08/03/19 »
It really depends what Rab model you actually have now? https://rab.equipment/uk/accessories-equipment/gaiters

The one I would pick from their current range is the Rab Latok Alpine https://rab.equipment/uk/accessories-equipment/gaiters/latok-alpine-gaiter

If I was looking for a reliable alternative it would be the Berghaus GTX Gaiters.

Given that you have had "waterproofing" problems it might be worth trying both models on your boots to make sure you are managing to get a reasonably close seal around the top of your boots.

Before commiting to buying it would also be a good idea to check out the availability and cost of replacement underfoot straps.

Maggot

« Reply #3 on: 14:11:08, 08/03/19 »
Can you help me please.

I need to buy a new pair of gaiters. My present ones are Rab Latok, they are well made, comfortable and easy to put on BUT but they have not proved to be waterproof. In your experience are the Rab Alpines any better?

Or should I buy a completely new brand?

Have you ever found anything to be waterproof?  I haven't been on here long, but you have had waterproofing issues with several pairs of boots, coats and now gaiters.

I reckon you would save a fortune if you reappraised what you want from waterproofness.  It's outdoors, it's wet, go with it.  You are chasing an unachievable goal!  I had a mate who I played golf with, every time someone out drove him he would look to replace his club.  At one point he had 17 drivers, you are only allowed 14 clubs in a whole golf bag  :o

Having said that, do you want to shift on your Paramo coat that is too heavy for you?

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 14:23:31, 08/03/19 »
^ Helpful  :-\

GWM - I have been using a pair of Trekmate Cairngorms for a year or so and find them very good - I only bought them as I'd left my Rab ones at home one weekend in Keswick, but I have never gone back to the Rabs as I find the Trekmates better.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:29:21, 08/03/19 »
When I bought my Rab's I'm sure they were advertised as Rab Latoks? I do remember, that at the time they were nearly £10 cheaper than the Rab Alpines on display. To clarify, I know that my gaiters stay waterproof for 'a while,' but then the wet just seeps through. I don't mind being wet and have been many times, but not when it seeps inside my hiking boots, especially first thing in the morning. The last time I wore them was on 11th November 2018, up and down Great Gable when it was raining hard. My lower limbs were soaked, inside my leather boots as well. I squalched all the way back to my tent. When I took my wet socks off, my toes were all white and crinkley!

I've always liked my Rab gaiters, primarily because the zip is at the front and they have always stayed secure just below my knee. Maybe I've just had them for too long? I've never tried to wash them in a waterproofing liquid, has anyone tried this, if so do you think it works?

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:37:18, 08/03/19 »
Problem with Gaiters is they aren't waterproof, they've got two huge holes in the top and bottom for your foot!  It's more about limitations of what you can and can't do in wet weather.

If you wear them outside of your trousers when it's raining, of course rain will run down the trousers and below the gaiters, but also water will build up on the inside from perspiration which will gradually make them damp and feel like they're 'leaking'.  If you want bomber goretex or event gaiters and dry feet I'd suggest walking more slowly, less exertion and hopefully you'll end up with less hassle. 

I've settled on using Outdoor Research Shorts (ankle gaiters, very 80s!) because I realised in soaking weather there will always be an element of damp, it is more about avoiding putting my foot in deep puddles/bogs and keeping debris out of the top of the shoe/boot.  If the water would go over the OR Shorts but would be below standard height gaiters, then the water is going to be going over the boot from the inside rather than outside.  Obviously travelling in snow or with crampons is different.

Accepting you're going to have degrees of wet feet and gaiters reduce that, versus give you no moisture problems at all is prob a way to go - on all waterproof clothing, come to think of it.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 15:49:46, 08/03/19 »
I regard gaiters as something to keep snow and mud out of the top of my boots. For rain I wear waterproof trousers.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 15:58:15, 08/03/19 »
Assuming you bought the correct size gaiter to match your boot size to begin with and fit them properly and wear them correctly under your waterproof overtrousers NOT over them you should not be experiencing major "waterproofing" issues.

Other than the normal condensation build up inside the gaiters it may well be that the "waterproofing" problem is actually with your boots leaking as I seem to remember we've discussed that before?

Assuming the gaiters are either Gore-Tex or eVent a thorough clean with Nikwax Techwash then reproof them with Nikwax TX Direct (the same stuff you should be using regularly on your Paramo Alta jacket) should restore the waterproofing and certainly won't do any harm.

It's absolutely no use buying expensive gear if you don't to look after it properly and maintain it on a regular basis so it performs at it's best!  ;)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 16:22:55, 08/03/19 »
I have the correct size gaiters and I started off wearing them under my waterproofs and when I stopped wearing waterproofs I then wore them over my walking trousers but under my rain skirt. I then discovered I could stay dryer for longer by wearing my gaiters under my walking trousers. For me thats been my most effective move.

My leather shoes now do leak, along the sole to boot join, but I have new waterproof boots which haven't leaked at all yet, which is why I now know for sure that my Rab gaiters leak. Prior to my 11th November 2018 walk I used my new boots in the rain and found only my calves were wet, my feet were dry. As it was that time of the year I used my old but 'trusty' leather boots for Great Gable, that was the first time in over two years that they had leaked and I must admit, at the time I was most surprised.

I also do 'proof' my clothes, especially my Paramo, usually about 2-3 times a year. Its a good jacket, no doubt about it, but for me, too heavy, too hot in the warmer months and for good rucksack packing, too bulky. I moved on to the Marmot Precip, much prefer it.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 16:50:08, 08/03/19 »
I have to admit, getting wet gets under my skin! I think I am now almost at the point of solving (I don't expect perfection) what now believe is right for me. I have already moved onto a poncho, it keeps the rain out but I still have to contend with condensation inside the garment, usually caused when its raining and I'm exerting myself uphill. This happened inside my Paramo as well. My Paramo these days is just used to stroll to the pub on damp evenings.

My latest plan is to use my 'couple of days ago Amazon purchase' as a model for future walking in rain. A £15 long e-vent waterproof, zip down the front hooded coat, made by a company called Champion and to see how well this does the job. I went out in the rain today and I'm very hopeful. The coat hem is half way down my calf, which is now why I'm looking for some new waterproof gaitors. The rain can just drip off  the coat, onto the gaiters and onto the floor. In rain lulls, when condensation has built up on the coat inside I can unzip the coat and let the wind or breeze blow me dry. When it rains again I'll just zip up again.

I cannot ever see me buying an expensive (or inexpensive) bottom length waterproof jacket again, or waterproof trousers either. For me personally, the way forward is cheap but effective waterproofing and when I fancy an expensive purchase it will be a windproof/warm jacket only. I don't want to consider any waterproof qualities in my criteria list for the jacket I may buy, to me they are totally separate problems to resolve.

The big test of my idea will be when I go on the Borrowdale 'meet' in April and my hike to Edinburgh afterwards.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:06:48, 08/03/19 »
I have a completely different approach to keeping the rain off: top quality Gore Tex Pro jacket and decent waterproof trousers, which works very well for me in the disgusting Orkney weather (I am out every single day over the winter for a few miles with the dog - she doesn't seem to care) but it is interesting to see other people's approach. My body, arms and legs stay totally dry. I do get some water ingress around my face when I'm walking into the teeth of a rain laden gale (a buff around the neck mops this up), and I do get a little water in my boots, mainly because they do not have a fully gusseted tongue, I suspect.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Maggot

« Reply #12 on: 21:58:17, 08/03/19 »
I have to admit, getting wet gets under my skin! I think I am now almost at the point of solving (I don't expect perfection) what now believe is right for me. I have already moved onto a poncho, it keeps the rain out but I still have to contend with condensation inside the garment, usually caused when its raining and I'm exerting myself uphill. This happened inside my Paramo as well. My Paramo these days is just used to stroll to the pub on damp evenings.

My latest plan is to use my 'couple of days ago Amazon purchase' as a model for future walking in rain. A £15 long e-vent waterproof, zip down the front hooded coat, made by a company called Champion and to see how well this does the job. I went out in the rain today and I'm very hopeful. The coat hem is half way down my calf, which is now why I'm looking for some new waterproof gaitors. The rain can just drip off  the coat, onto the gaiters and onto the floor. In rain lulls, when condensation has built up on the coat inside I can unzip the coat and let the wind or breeze blow me dry. When it rains again I'll just zip up again.

I cannot ever see me buying an expensive (or inexpensive) bottom length waterproof jacket again, or waterproof trousers either. For me personally, the way forward is cheap but effective waterproofing and when I fancy an expensive purchase it will be a windproof/warm jacket only. I don't want to consider any waterproof qualities in my criteria list for the jacket I may buy, to me they are totally separate problems to resolve.

The big test of my idea will be when I go on the Borrowdale 'meet' in April and my hike to Edinburgh afterwards.

That is not an e-vent coat for £15.  From what you describe it is this one (or similar) .  It is that well known Gore-Tex alternative 'Aqua-vent', so well beloved of serious outdoors people.

I just cannot believe you have  spent £50 on a pair of gaiters that apparently leave you soaked, but have solved all your waterproofness problems, not with the Paramo jacket, but with a £15 nylon mac! 

The main reason that long coats are not often used of course is that hinder your leg movement on uneven ground, and can even be hazardous.

Maggot

« Reply #13 on: 22:02:00, 08/03/19 »
When I bought my Rab's I'm sure they were advertised as Rab Latoks? I do remember, that at the time they were nearly £10 cheaper than the Rab Alpines on display. To clarify, I know that my gaiters stay waterproof for 'a while,' but then the wet just seeps through. I don't mind being wet and have been many times, but not when it seeps inside my hiking boots, especially first thing in the morning. The last time I wore them was on 11th November 2018, up and down Great Gable when it was raining hard. My lower limbs were soaked, inside my leather boots as well. I squalched all the way back to my tent. When I took my wet socks off, my toes were all white and crinkley!

I've always liked my Rab gaiters, primarily because the zip is at the front and they have always stayed secure just below my knee. Maybe I've just had them for too long? I've never tried to wash them in a waterproofing liquid, has anyone tried this, if so do you think it works?

That's the problem, not the gaiters.  The gaiters were on the outside of the trousers I assume?  Water has a tendency to travel downwards as opposed to upwards.  Do the maths as they say......all that water was only ever going to go one place wasn't it?  Inside the gaiters and funnelled into your boots.

Of course you can avoid the funnelling effect by simply not wearing gaiters!

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 10:36:55, 09/03/19 »
I know that my gaiters stay waterproof for 'a while,' but then the wet just seeps through.

Let's start by saying Gore-Tex or eVent does not leak unless it's been puctured or the seams/stitching has split.

What you are describing is the outer fabric simply wetting out because the DWR coating has worn off because the gaiters have not been regularly maintained. Once this happens the outer fabric easily wets out and breathability is severely reduced as it's overwhelmed by the water sitting on the surface of the outer fabric instead of beading off as it should which in turn allows condensation to build up inside the gaiters because it's unable to evapourate to the outside through the fabric.

I've never tried to wash them in a waterproofing liquid, has anyone tried this, if so do you think it works?

As I previously stated a thorough clean with Nikwax Techwash followed by reproofing them with Nikwax TX Direct should restore the DWR waterproof coating to the outer material allowing any water to bead off allowing the gaiter to breathe properly reducing any condensation inside the gaiters.

I certainly would not be tempted to buy new gaiters until you've taken the time and trouble to try this simple fix. Gaiters just like any other item of waterproof outdoor clothing need regular cleaning and reproofing to keep performing at their best in wet conditions.

Whilst I agree that everyone is different unfortunately when you are determined to adopt the "Reg knows best" approach to outdoor waterproof clothing and keeping dry which is somewhat at odds with what are the accepted tried and tested best methods and practices as recommended by the professionals in the field you should not be at all surprised when that approach occasionally fails spectacularly leaving you drenched to the skin. However much you don't like the answer/advice given regularly maintained gaiters worn under regularly maintained waterproof overtrousers would resolve this issue.

Having said that if you are happy with your approach in the end that is all that matters.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy