Author Topic: Cheviots - Woden Law and Humblemoor Hill  (Read 4317 times)

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Cheviots - Woden Law and Humblemoor Hill
« on: 19:13:50, 27/01/08 »
Today's walk was another blatant HuMP bagging trip. 
This time, as well as the dawg, I had my pal Alan with me.

Woden Law and Humblemoor Hill lie on the east side of the Kale Water valley, just to the South of Morebattle/ South east of Jedburgh, and West of The Cheviot.  Both hills, and the continuation ridges are  steep sided but grassy and dry and give easy walking.

We parked at the foot of Woden Law (422m) where the roman road Dere Street (York to Dalkeith) meets the tarmac.  Its a stiffish climb up on to the top of Woden Law but there's cracking views of the Border ridge as far as The Cheviot and The Schil.
Woden law is an iron age British hill fort which is well known for it's practise roman siege works - lots of humps and bumps and ditches and ramps and stuff. Its difficult to identify what's what.  Bruno had no idea as he didnt really bother with archeology...
Following our exploration of the lumpy top of Woden Law, we drifted Northwards along the ridge to Langside Law with its trig point (394m) then down to Buchtrig Farm.
Humblemoor Hill(360+m)  is a short  and easy climb from Buchtrig and sports a small but perfectly formed cairn and an electric fence. This was the main objective of the day, so kerching! (in the bag)
We mooched further North along the easy ridge to Little (ever so) Humblemoor, The Hows and Tronshaw Hill. The walking along this ridge is easy and the views are good, so it should score highly in any self-respecting hillwalkers table of high-scoring easy walks with good views....  and even hillwalkers who don't respect themselves very much would probably enjoy it.
After this treat, we dropped down to the minor road  to the east and walked back along that to the start.
All good, clean fun.
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
Re: Cheviots - Woden Law and Humblemoor Hill
« Reply #1 on: 20:29:07, 27/01/08 »
You're getting around a bit Mike. It's an area I've never been to but it looks nice walking there. Certainly your weather was a lot brighter than ours today.
Dave
http://www.wainwright-wanderings.co.uk/

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Re: Cheviots - Woden Law and Humblemoor Hill
« Reply #2 on: 20:41:32, 27/01/08 »
I reckon that if I keep moving around "they" won't catch up with me.  
This is about the same distance from home as Keswick - and its a bit quicker to get there, (the A68 is empty at this time of year) so its not such a big deal really.
This Scottish side of the Cheviots is quite fab  - very much like the Howgills if you stay off the Border ridge which is horribly boggy in many places.  ...And these hills aren't such a big climb for tired old legs like these. [points to dog's legs]
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy