Author Topic: How to keep feet my warm!  (Read 668 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
How to keep feet my warm!
« on: 12:04:29, 20/01/20 »
If I walk around our house without slippers on my feet I soon get cold feet, its to do with the floor construction so I've been told. I was reminded of this last night when I visited someone and they didn't want me to wear my shoes in their lounge. Within a short while, my feet were freezing.

Similarly, I used to get cold feet, especially when I got out of my tent in the morning and wore flip flops or other light shoes prior to putting my hiking boots on. I've now solved this problem to my satisfaction, all I needed to do was to place an old pair of trainer inserts between my feet and the sole of the shoe (I no longer use flip flops on my travels) and this insulation layer works very well. I have noticed that there tends to be two types of old trainer inserts, solid ones and mesh ones. I use the solid material ones, (I use a Salomon and a Keene pair) the mesh variety are just not good enough. I use the Keene ones in my indoor slippers and the Salomon ones in my campsite shoes.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: How to keep feet my warm!
« Reply #1 on: 13:27:59, 20/01/20 »
The subject does raise one point for me, any recommendations as to the type/brand of shoe that you use when your hiking day has finished and you are lazing around your tent, or just planning to go off to the local pub?

I am always on the lookout for something light and squishy, that can get wet in the grass but dries out quickly and at least looks like pair of street walking trainers or even a pair of shoes.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:42:23, 20/01/20 »
Except in the very depths of winter I wear sandals.  Teva are good and cheap and the velcro fastening is quick and easy.  I like getting the air to my feet and they are rarely, if ever, cold.  It did draw the odd comment in the pub but they are used to it now and sandals in snow can be quite invigorating provided it is not for too long.
Round the house I am usually barefoot but we have wooden floors, with under floor heating.
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:56:11, 20/01/20 »
I wear Adidas Cloudfoam sliders around the home usually which are a bit like ninthace's sandles but cushioned and tragically trendy, cheap New Balance MX624v4 trainers the rest of the time as I put too many miles on trainers to wear expensive ones for walking around and if I feel like pampering my feet I wear my Brooks Ghost 12 running shoes but as they cost over 4 times as much as my MX624v4s and I put over 100 miles a month on them running I try to reserve them for running in order to save money.

If I was rich I'd still wear Cloudfoam sliders around the home but I'd spoil my feet by wearing another pair of Ghost 12s for everyday non-trail walking.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:57:14, 20/01/20 »
My present slippers are Hi-Tec which I bought from Go Camping at least a couple of years ago. They are great, lightweight, very bendy and squishy and cost me £15 at the time. I've just checked their site, they no longer make them and the prices have gone UP!

Lee R

« Reply #5 on: 19:42:48, 20/01/20 »
If I walk around our house without slippers on my feet I soon get cold feet, its to do with the floor construction so I've been told. I was reminded of this last night when I visited someone and they didn't want me to wear my shoes in their lounge. Within a short while, my feet were freezing.

Similarly, I used to get cold feet, especially when I got out of my tent in the morning and wore flip flops or other light shoes prior to putting my hiking boots on. I've now solved this problem to my satisfaction, all I needed to do was to place an old pair of trainer inserts between my feet and the sole of the shoe (I no longer use flip flops on my travels) and this insulation layer works very well. I have noticed that there tends to be two types of old trainer inserts, solid ones and mesh ones. I use the solid material ones, (I use a Salomon and a Keene pair) the mesh variety are just not good enough. I use the Keene ones in my indoor slippers and the Salomon ones in my campsite shoes.

I use the gel ones in work. Steel toe rigger boots & a cold concrete workshop isn't idea this time of year! They add comfort & also insulation from the cold coming up through. I actually slipped a new pair in this morning!

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:55:24, 20/01/20 »
Radiator foil backed insulation cut to the size of your insoles and then placed foil side ip under the insole works really well. I used this method in my walking boots in the snow last winter to great effect.
It's all uphill from here.

strawy

« Reply #7 on: 03:06:36, 21/01/20 »
2 empty Warburtons small(toastie) bread wrappers..
1 pair normal thickness socks(not thermals)..
1 pair thin socks..
Masking Tape..
Place normal socks on feet,cover with bread wrappers,loosely tighten to foot shape & fasten at inner sock/upper ankles,thin socks go on top..
Warm as toast(pardon the pun)never had wet feet since using this method,wrappers are re-useable if carefully removed,bit sweaty but never cold..
« Last Edit: 05:16:43, 21/01/20 by strawy »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy