Author Topic: tr Greta Bridge Co Durham  (Read 456 times)

geordie33

• Veteran Member
tr Greta Bridge Co Durham
« on: 14:31:51, 22/07/14 »

We started at Greta Bridge in Co Durham.It was supposed to be pleasantly warm but turned out to be 28C which hurt.
The starting point of the Morritt hotel dates back to the late 17th century although has not always been an inn.The road in front and bridge have existed since roman times and there used to be 3 inns here.Charles Dickens stayed in one of them when he was researching Nicholas Nickleby based on Dotheboys hall in
Bowes.

We took the path by the River Greta.

The path is quite clear until you reach the ruins of the old church at Brignall.This was built in the 12th century before being replaced by the "new" church of St Marys in Brignall hamlet in 1834.Wonder how old the tomb is?

The path divides here and you are offered the walk to the new church or as we chose the path through the woods towards Brignall Mill.It is at this point that it becomes very overgrown and there are some extremely muddy and slippy patches.I imagine it must be terrible after a very wet spell and definately not one for shorts and comfy shoes.Anyone wanting to see the churches and do a much shorter walk could leave here and go to Brignall new church and follow the quiet road back to Greta Bridge.

The wilderness just got thicker.

It had been the intention to cross the river at Brignall Mill and walk the other bank doing about 9 miles.However I felt poorly at the start and after flogging through the wood in that heat felt worse.We decided to go in the opposite direction towards Brignall.Here are the views back to Brignall Mill and Barningham Moor.In the end we did 7 miles with a deceptive 1000 feet of climb.There was supposed to be a picture of the new church but I do not know where it is.We finished in the Dickens bar where a pint of cold cider seems to have curative properties and my mate reckons the Timothy Taylors.

« Last Edit: 23:35:21, 07/08/14 by Chris »

April

• Veteran Member
Re: tr Greta Bridge Co Durham
« Reply #1 on: 12:42:24, 23/07/14 »
Nice pics geordie33  O0 
Hate will never win

The Coastal Path

Re: tr Greta Bridge Co Durham
« Reply #2 on: 13:25:40, 23/07/14 »
Looks like a nice walk; noted thanks for sharing.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy