Author Topic: Karrimor Alpiniste Rucksacks - FOR SALE or SWAP/DONATION or just information  (Read 6761 times)

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
To prevent further arguments, how about a very general thread for people to do anything in connection with either their or other peoples rucksacks of this ilk.
You can just prattle on about yours if you want (I will if no one else does). Advertise one to sell or tell us about one you've seen for sale elsewhere. Even ask questions about them.
Way back when we even had some good links to sites that contained archive information about most things Karrimor (as it used to be).

Hopefully nobody will object and it can just simmer away in the background until the next person has an urge.
And if anyone wants to know, I am a self confessed Karrimor freak: For which I make no apology.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
Here is one of the earlier links to a guy who appreciates the finer things in life :-

www.larsonweb.com/backpacks/id1.html

That first picture and several of either the same pack or similar ones (lower down the page) are what I always think of as the first Karrimor Alpiniste rucksacks. As you can see they were designed/influenced by Dougal Haston and were synonymous with the colour purple - for obvious reasons. These were introduced around the mid 1970s.
Dougal Haston was a legend even in his own lifetime so his advice was well respected.
Others had input on earlier Karrimor rucksacks including Joe Brown and Don Whillans and as good as their rucksacks were (both were excellent and paved the way for Dougal's) neither were referred to as Alpiniste models.
Point made (sorry to be so [censored]).
One aspect to appreciate and to correct an assertion made on a recent post elsewhere, is that these earliest models were made of the 'shiny' nylon material and it wasn't until the early 1980s that the KS-100e material was introduced across all manner of their rucksacks. Somebody referred to this as a cordura type of material. The photo showing four rucksacks on a wooden table depicts a KS-100e Alpiniste (purple/left) which obviously differs from the one in the first photo.
They came in various capacities and included the full length zip (covered by blue velcro band). This concept has been copied even in recent sacks as it allows you access to gear at the bottom of the bag without having to unpack the whole thing. The classic is for a central zip but others had off centre and even towards the rear. The result was the same.
Also famously useful in true alpine style - to enable the owner to extend the inner storm 'flap' so that it became possible to bivvy in the rucksack if conditions 'hit the fan'.
As a result, a lot of these bags took a great deal of punishment but undoubtedly staved off an otherwise hellish night.
I am sure some people on here may know other interesting facts about these and Larson's web-site clearly has a load of information for those who care to know any more.
Again, to correct an erroneous comment about them, they did evolve and eventually the Dougal Haston versions ceased and simply became the  'Alpiniste', of which many versions were made and they did change considerably (they didn't remain un-changed for years as commented by one correspondent). Colours varied but for a good many years, until Karrimor went into receivership in the late 1990s(or thereabouts), the common thread was that the build quality was always of the highest order - bomb-proof as often referred to.
Alas they were the end of the Karrimor era. So if you see a new model for sale, think on, it isn't one of these. And if you do have one of these (the older ones), think on - keep it as you won't see their like again.

PS - not in good condition but clearly used for it's intended purpose -  www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Karrimor-Dougal-Haston-Alpiniste-backpack-rucsack-cragpack-/272439146137?hash=item3f6ea37699:g:GpIAAOSwHMJYHfm-
« Last Edit: 00:16:25, 08/11/16 by Innominate Man »
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
This one took a bit of finding ......

www.outdoorinov8.com/karrimorimages.html

Happy reading.

Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Glyno

• Veteran Member
Great Find IM - some fine reading material there!

lostme1

• Veteran Member
I have a Karrimor Hot Ice from the late 1970’s early 1980’s together with the Fformat to shape the back. It’s made of KS-100e and is red and green in colour.

I know it’s no newer than 1982 as I used it going up Helvellyn that year and have a photograph of myself wearing it at the top of High Street in May 1983.

I was recently going through some old papers and found the Karrimor Rucksac range catalogue for 1993. No ruckack gives a lifetime guarantee these days. The Karrimors were built to last.

What happy memories.

These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
That's the spirit - an emotional connection with your rucksack.
The inov8 info confirms that KS-100e was introduced in 1979 so your Hot Ice will be from the period - '79 - '82. Presumably it's still in use ?
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
Although not specifically about K - Alpiniste rucksacks, I thought this link sat quite well amongst this post as it refers to an old (maybe not quite vintage) Karrimor rucksack.

I'm a pain in the *** !!
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

altirando

• Veteran Member
I knew the family who owned Karrimor.  Before it was sold off.  Their rucksacks were almost too well made, lasted too long.  Vintage items now I suppose.

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
I knew the family who owned Karrimor.  Before it was sold off.  Their rucksacks were almost too well made, lasted too long.  Vintage items now I suppose.
I believe the Son, who ran the business after his parents retired - then went on to design rucksacks for OMM. One of their more popular rucksacks being the 'Villain'. Presumably had Karrimor not demised this rucksack would have been one of theirs.
It's amazing isn't it that the only criticism/comment ever levelled at Karrimor is that their stuff was over engineered & too well made. Quite ironic in this age of disposable this or that, with built in obsolescence being the norm.     
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Glyno

• Veteran Member
I believe the Son, who ran the business after his parents retired - then went on to design rucksacks for OMM.

Mike Parsons

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
This one took a bit of finding ......

www.outdoorinov8.com/karrimorimages.html

Happy reading.

I enjoyed reading that.  I'm still using my Karimor Condor 65.  Good to know others are too.  Amazingly durable rucksack.  It's the one I took up Ben Nevis earlier this year.  O0

« Last Edit: 22:35:56, 21/12/16 by BuzyG »

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member

Mike Parsons

That's the chap. He probably designed most of the rucksacks I have. Either him or his father.
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
I have a Karrimor Hot Ice from the late 1970’s early 1980’s together with the Fformat to shape the back. It’s made of KS-100e and is red and green in colour.

I enjoyed reading that.  I'm still using my Karimor Condor 65.  Good to know others are too.  Amazingly durable rucksack.  It's the one I took up Ben Nevis earlier this year.  O0

Not sure if either of you noticed the link in my second post to larsonweb ?  On his web-site the second photo has a selection of his rucksacks which include a Hot-Ice and a Condor (75lt).
You are in good company.
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

lostme1

• Veteran Member

Not sure if either of you noticed the link in my second post to larsonweb ?  On his web-site the second photo has a selection of his rucksacks which include a Hot-Ice and a Condor (75lt).
You are in good company.

I noticed the link but didn't have time to read it then but with your reminder I have done now. Thanks. I have to agree with his blog comment about the hip belt buckles and the ease of fastening/release and difficult to break. Those on my newer rucksacks are much more fragile and easier to break. The design was made to last. Not something you find these days.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
Quite some time ago I found some good photos of a Karrimor Joe Brown rucksack - which I hope the link below will take you to.

The main photo is from an eBay sale and there are several other images of this rucksack scattered within this collection. It is a very strong red colour with green straps and the outer fixing points for removable pockets.
Despite my Alpiniste addiction I have to admit that this model is perhaps my dream rucksack. It's not flashy or over-featured, just a simple straightforward rucksack.
One element that would have improved this would have been a padded hip belt (such as on BuzyG's Condor or the Dougal Haston Alpiniste models).

Admittedly it could also be improved by the inclusion of a bladder holder and outlet in the lid. I am aware that Alpine Luddites have made an attempt at making a new version ...... but despite how spick & span it looks, it just doesn't have that 'real' rucksack look that this old one has.

If anyone knows of any treatment that might help me, please send details on a postcard  ;D

karrimor joe brown rucksack photos
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy