Author Topic: Wild Camping weekend in Ireland  (Read 2065 times)

tillster

Wild Camping weekend in Ireland
« on: 09:43:52, 04/03/19 »
Hi all

I'm trying to put together a walking weekend in Ireland in May / June that would see us fly into Dublin on Friday lunchtime, and leave Monday lunchtime.

I'll be meeting a Dublin-based friend and then heading off somewhere in the car, park up, head up and stay up. The question is, to where?

Wicklow Mountains seem the obvious choice, but we went there a few years ago and would prefer to try something a wee bit different. We'd also prefer, however, not to be driving too much distance, which seems to rule out Kerry / Dingle

Any other options than Wicklow, or general words of sage advice  ?

henryb

• Veteran Member
Re: Wild Camping weekend in Ireland
« Reply #1 on: 18:41:51, 04/03/19 »
Slieve Bloom mountains can be reached within 2 hours from Dublin; the Galtees are in Tipperary but would take 2.5 hours; the Mournes can be reached within 2 hours but these are in Northern Ireland. I'm an expert in the Mournes but know nothing about Slieve Bloom and the Galtees.

tillster

« Reply #2 on: 18:22:58, 09/03/19 »
Hi Henry

Thanks for taking the time to reply and share your thoughts.

I'll be sitting down tonight for a good shuftie through whatever I can find on those three spots.

FWIW I see no reason why it shouldn't be the Mournes, but I’ll have to see what my fellow walker has to say about it

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:17:57, 09/03/19 »
If you decide upon the Mournes, the best walk is the back castles of Binnian. My favorites are Slieveloughshannagh, Doan, Eagle, Binnian and Slieveban :)

tillster

« Reply #4 on: 10:58:29, 19/03/19 »
Hello Henryu

Apologies for the tardy reply, I've been a wee bit under the weather

Thanks for the tips - we're sifting through some of the walks to get it down to a shortlist :-)

Thx

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy