Author Topic: Down sizing Camera  (Read 7389 times)

LMac27

Down sizing Camera
« on: 23:20:34, 15/03/18 »
Hi all,

I was contemplating downsizing my canon 1100d dslr to something smaller to carry around whilst hiking. I was speaking to someone in a camera shop today and he said I would be sacrificing picture quality if I bought something compacted like a Panasonic tz80/90 and should stuck to my dslr.

Has anyone else done something similar and have u been happy with the results ?

Lee

Annejacko

• Veteran Member
Re: Down sizing Camera
« Reply #1 on: 08:45:06, 16/03/18 »
Hi Lee

We recently bought a Panasonic Lumix TZ100 as an upgrade to our 8 year old Samsung compact digital camera. We contemplated buying a dSLR but already have a film SLR we rarely use because its inconvenient to carry around. The TZ100 seemed a good compromise with manual settings as well as auto modes. I've yet to really get to grips with it-need to find time to read the 400 page manual! So currently have mainly stuck to auto settings.
The photos in this TR as from this camera.
http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=36058.0

We chose this model as we particularly wanted something with a larger sensor size as our old camera didn't perform very well in low light conditions.

I'm very much in the amateur bracket though when it comes to photography, especially compared to some people who post on here.

« Last Edit: 08:49:55, 16/03/18 by Annejacko »
Enjoy every sandwich

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:04:41, 16/03/18 »
I have both a Pentax dslr with a Sigma 18-200 "travel" lens plus an occasionally-used Pentax close-up lens, and a Sony Cyber-shot compact.
Admittedly my compact isn't in the same league as the Panasonic you mention, but there is a definite difference in the sharpness and clarity of the results of the two, even to my relatively uncritical eye.
Consequently the dslr remains my preference when I want to get some good shots, even though it is heavy, bulky and a nuisance to keep getting out of my pack and putting it back (I don't like walking with it hanging from my neck), while the compact is reserved for carrying in a hip belt pouch during multiple-day walks and for those times when I want to take a camera somewhere "just in case".

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:31:12, 16/03/18 »
Here is a review of the sony DSC HX 90V

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=31440.0

The photos have gone from this forum but Kukkudrill has posted a link and a full review at

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/other/sony-dsc-hx90v/

I purchased a compact camera and if I had a dSLR I wouldn't carry on a walk. The choice is no camera or a compact camera.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:18:55, 16/03/18 »
I carried a Canon DSLR with 'L' series lens on all our backpacks (where weight is the main consideration), I liked the TTL metering and the ability to use lens filters. I was blissfully unaware of the evolution of high quality compacts that had passed me by over the years.

Last year I did bite the bullet and after much research bought a Sony DSC-RX100-M3. After the DSLR it's alarmingly tiny, but by crikey it's good. Despite giving up filters, it does have a good viewfinder which I consider very important - I hate trying to compose a shot on a hard-to-see LCD screen. Once I got used to the tiny buttons and very limited space on the body for my fingers to hold it without accidentally pressing something, it was great. It actually fits in the hipbelt pocket of my pack making it ultra-convenient.

I sold the 12-year old Canon DSLR + lens directly to a camera dealer online for £305, a nice surprise that paid more than half the cost of the Sony.

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:35:29, 16/03/18 »

I also downsized to a Sony RX-100 and highly recommend it. The image quality is superb, and you still have all the creative flexibility you have with the DSLR.

Review here: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx100

If you click on my link at the bottom, many of my recent pics have been taken with the Sony

LMac27

« Reply #6 on: 10:57:59, 17/03/18 »
Thanks for all the replies everyone. It looks like based on what I read here and what the fella told me in the shop there would be a noticeable quality difference if I chose the Panasonic tz 70 or 90 or even the Sony hx90. The only way it seems to match quality in a compact it to increase my budget up to the £600 mark.

I may just keep hold of what I have for a while.

Thanks for the input

Mylo

« Reply #7 on: 14:08:20, 17/03/18 »
Have a look at the Olympus Tough range.

The TG-5 is the latest model, you should be able to pick up the TG-4 for 1/2 the price.

PeterDevon

« Reply #8 on: 12:23:20, 18/03/18 »
Why not get a Canon eos m camera, 2nd hand on ebay £120ish, you can use your favourite lenses as well if you want (with adapter).
I just use my phone if I don't want to carry a dslr.

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 23:08:17, 20/03/18 »
As PeterDevon suggests, it would be worth looking at mirrorless cameras - the Canon EOS M range, the Sony A6XXX range and the Fuji X cameras all have the same size sensor (or slightly larger for the Sony and Fuji) but more compact bodies. That way you're not giving up on quality but they're easier to carry.

I have the Sony A6000, great sensor, so-so ergonomics and decent lenses can be expensive.

If I was starting again, I might consider one of the new Canon EOS M cameras - for hiking, the wide angle zoom 11-22mm lens would be great and it's apparently fantastic value for the quality. And it would probably provide the most familiar interface for you. You can get the M100 with the 15-45 kit zoom for £399 with a discount code at Wex. (I would recommend www.camerapricebuster.co.uk for checking out deals). For another £283 you could later add the 11-22mm lens and £99 would get you an adapter to use your existing Canon lenses.

I have the TZ100 as well, which I carry alongside whichever "big" camera I'm taking on hikes. It fits in a pouch on my rucksack belt. I can definitely spot the difference in quality though.

LMac27

« Reply #10 on: 15:47:57, 21/03/18 »
Thanks for the info....I'll take a look

Thedogsmother

« Reply #11 on: 22:17:11, 22/03/18 »
I’ve just thinned my camera kit right down and have ditched my Nikon D5500 and all the lenses and bought a Canon G7 for £40 off eBay. I have kept my Nikon D3S as I am a gig photographer and it is fantastic for that job, but will just take my G7 out on walks from now on. I love the quality of image and it takes terrific macro shots so I’m well happy.

I wanted a viewfinder, sturdy body something I could bash about, and as much manual control as possible, preferably something with wheels and dials (hate touchscreens) so that I can control most stuff quickly from the outside of the camera rather than having to faff about going into menus. So I had to go for a later model otherwise I’d have to be spending crazy money to get those things.

Norfolk-Matt

« Reply #12 on: 09:26:55, 29/05/18 »
Recently downsized from a Canon 70d (had various L series lenses), to a Fuji x-t20. Very happy so far! Especially on stills. Haven’t got to grips with shooting fast moving subjects yet though. The kit lens 18-55 f2.8-4 is a very good kit lens. Noticeably lighter than my old DSLR.

Also added a grip style case which has helped because the camera is a bit small for my hands.

Kukkudrill

« Reply #13 on: 20:41:26, 31/05/18 »
About two and a half years ago I too decided I wanted to downsize since I couldn't carry a DSLR and lenses on long-distance walking expeditions. I considered the Sony RX100 and the HX90V. The RX100 offers better image quality than the HX90V thanks to its bigger sensor, but the HX90V is much more versatile with a x30 zoom and GPS. I opted for the HX90V, knowing full well that I was taking a step down where image quality was concerned. But I decided I could live with this since I would be taking photos for my own personal use. With my DSLR I was shooting RAW and editing in Photoshop - my HX90V liberated me from all that and made photography fun again.
Make the most of the available light

thevalleywalker

« Reply #14 on: 10:22:31, 24/08/18 »
Downsized for walking / hiking from a Canon 5D3 to a Canon M6 - I have the 11-22lens and and EF adapter which I put a 55-250 IS EFS lens on - very happy with the results.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy